|ESPN's McShay applauds Watkins trade, but has questions about Bills QB|
|by Tony Crumpton - Associate Editor - Monday, May 12, 2014 9:03 PM||
Sammy WatkinsSammy Watkins
Wide Receiver (2011 - 2013)
#2 6-1, 205
Fort Myers, FL
View Full Profile but still has questions about Bills' quarterback E.J. Manuel.
"I understand what Buffalo did. Sammy Watkins is an elite player," McShay said in the call. "You’re sitting there at No. 9, and you’re worried you’re not going to get one of the four elite players in this draft. I’m talking about Jadeveon Clowney, Greg Robinson, Sammy Watkins and Khalil Mack. Two of those guys are defensive players, and one of those guys is an offensive tackle. It’s highly unlikely you’re getting up to 1 or 2, regardless. I think at the end of the day, what the Bills ultimately wanted to do was go out and get the best player possible to put around E.J. Manuel. If I had E.J. Manuel as my starting quarterback, it would be a similar focus. That’s the best way I can put it. I don’t know that I would have made the trade. I know it’s giving up a lot. But I think it’s very clear there is urgency to get playmakers around E.J. Manuel. If this thing’s going to work in Buffalo, they’ve got to have the best supporting cast possible. E.J. has a lot of developing to do. I love E.J. E.J.’s one of my favorite human beings I’ve been around in the draft process in the 15 years I’ve been doing this. But I said coming out, I thought it was a reach. I didn’t think they should have drafted him. And I think he has a lot of developing still to do. I think they recognize that after his first year. If they’re going to make this work, they better get the right people around him. For that, I applaud them for recognizing, self-evaluating, being aggressive and attacking the cause."
|Send Feedback to Tony Crumpton: Email | Comment||
- Swinney speaks to Guillermo, hopes center can rejoin the team
- ESPN ranks Clemson with toughest ACC nonconference schedule
- Booker fires back at former teammate
- WATCH: Williams with one-handed catch at Spring Game
- Former Clemson assistant coach hired by SE Missouri St.
- WATCH: Swinney does cadence count at Lee Brice Concert
- Thank you Letter to Clemson Family from Robert Smith
- WATCH: Clemson Spring Game Highlights
- Former Clemson RB named high school AD
- WATCH: ESPN Sports Science with Vic Beasley