|Discover, Tostitos to end bowl sponsorship|
|by Tony Crumpton - Associate Editor - Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:05 AM||
Discover and Tostitos will not renew their sponsorship to their bowl games according to sportsbusinessdaily.com. Prices in the new playoff system have gone up $5 to $10 million more for advertising the big-time bowl games.
However, Capital One and ESPN have agreed on most terms for the Orange Bowl and an announcement could happen in the next few days.
Two more brands that were closely linked to the BCS — Discover and Tostitos — have told ESPN that they are ending their title sponsorship of playoff bowl games. Capital One, meanwhile, is in the final stages of negotiations to fill the void at the Orange Bowl, and ESPN still is looking for a sponsor to take the Fiesta Bowl position.
Discover has been the title sponsor of the Orange Bowl for the last four seasons, but the bigger surprise is Tostitos, which is set to end its 18-year association with the Fiesta Bowl, according to industry sources. The Frito-Lay brand enjoyed one of the longest-running title sponsorships in college football, but recently it advised ESPN, the CFP’s rights holder, that it doesn’t plan to renew.
|Send Feedback to Tony Crumpton: Email | Comment||
- Swinney and staff in a Thursday car accident; also had an exploded tire on plane
- Former Clemson QB appears headed to Ole Miss
- Clemson names quarterbacks coach and recruiting coordinator
- Russell Athletic Bowl gifts for Clemson players
- Photo: Spiller wins bet; Gilmore wears Clemson t-shirt
- Swinney statement on Watson surgery, Oklahoma
- Watson named ESPN's #1 ACC Heisman Hopeful in 2015
- Tajh Boyd's take on Watson playing with torn ACL
- Mel Kiper's take on Vic Beasley
- Swinney gives update on Watson's surgery