|Clemson ranked in Baseball America Top 25 Poll|
|Press Release - Monday, January 27, 2014 10:17 AM||
This marks the second straight year that an Atlantic Coast Conference team has ranked No. 1, as North Carolina opened last year atop the rankings and went on to earn the No. 1 national seed and finish among the final four teams at the College World Series. Before last year, no ACC team had topped BA’s preseason rankings since 2003. ACC teams occupy three of this year’s top six spots overall, with North Carolina State achieving its highest-ever preseason rank at No. 5 and Florida State checking in at No. 6.
As usual, the Southeastern Conference leads all leagues with eight teams in the Top 25—and four in the top 10. Its highest-ranked team is South Carolina at No. 7, followed by fellow SEC teams Mississippi State, Louisiana State and Vanderbilt in the next three spots. The ACC is next with six teams in the Top 25, followed by the Big 12 and Pac-12 with three apiece.
No. 2 Oregon State, No. 3 Indiana, No. 14 Louisiana-Lafayette and No. 22 Kansas State each earn their highest preseason rankings ever. For the Hoosiers and Wildcats, this marks the first time either has cracked the BA preseason Top 25. Indiana, which won a super regional at Florida State last year en route to the CWS, is the highest-ranked Big Ten team in the preseason Top 25 since Michigan entered the 1988 season at No. 3. No Big Ten team has opened a season ranked higher.
Defending national champion UCLA enters the season ranked 12th after losing two-thirds of its weekend rotation and its starting shortstop. National runner-up Mississippi State opens at No. 8. All eight of last year’s College World Series participants are ranked inside the top 20.
The staff of Baseball America determines the Top 25 rankings. Last year’s records do not include ties.
Team 2013 Record 2013 Rank
1. Virginia 50-12 11
2. Oregon State 52-13 4
3. Indiana 49-16 7
4. Cal State Fullerton 51-10 10
5. North Carolina State 50-16 6
6. Florida State 47-17 12
7. South Carolina 43-20 14
8. Mississippi State
9. Louisiana State 57-11 5
10. Vanderbilt 54-12 9
11. Oregon 48-16 17
12. UCLA 49-17 1
13. Clemson 40-22 NR
14. Louisiana-Lafayette 43-20 NR
15. Rice 44-20 16
16. Miami 37-25 NR
17. North Carolina 59-12 3
18. Texas 27-24 NR
19. Texas Christian 29-28 NR
20. Louisville 51-14 8
21. Alabama 35-28 NR
22. Kansas State 45-19 13
23. Florida 29-30 NR
24. Texas A&M 34-19 NR
25. Arkansas 39-22 18
- Clemson rated as #1 overrated bowl winner for 2015 season
- Spurrier tells Gamecock fans to circle the Clemson game
- Clemson GA has accepted position with Buffalo Bills
- Photo: C.J. Spiller and Ray Ray McCloud
- Howard's Rock vandal faces additional charges and jail time
- DMac is Back, and he's excited about the chance to work with young secondary talent
- Rex Ryan: Watkins is a "Once in a 10 year type player"
- Anthony named Award Winner at Senior Bowl
- Watson listed on SI.com's Early Heisman Watch
- WATCH: Smith hits game winner in final sec