|Clemson DB named as co-plaintiff in new NCAA lawsuit|
|Assoc. Editor - Monday, March 17, 2014 11:34 AM-||
Anti-trust lawyer Jeff Kessler has filed an antitrust lawsuit on Monday against the NCAA and the five power conferences (SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12, ACC and Big 12).
The lawsuit seeks to end NCAA restrictions on schools concerning payment to players and other compensation besides just the cost of an athletic scholarship.
Clemson junior defensive back Martin JenkinsMartin Jenkins
RS Sr. Cornerback
#14 5-10, 180
View Full Profile and Rutgers hoops player Johnathan Moore are among the four plaintiffs in the suit. Jenkins is the only plaintiff with any eligibility left because the other players were seniors who have already completed their eligibility.
The suit does not seek any class action damages although the plaintiffs are seeking individual damages.
"The main objective is to strike down permanently the restrictions that prevent athletes in Division I basketball and the top tier of college football from being fairly compensated for the billions of dollars in revenues that they help generate," Kessler told ESPN. "In no other business -- and college sports is big business -- would it ever be suggested that the people who are providing the essential services work for free. Only in big-time college sports is that line drawn."
Jenkins is the second football player with ties to Clemson suing the NCAA. Former Clemson defensive back, Darius RobinsonDarius Robinson
Cornerback (2010 - 2013)
#8 5-10, 175
College Park, GA
View Full Profile, is part on the on-going landmark lawsuit O'Bannon v. NCAA. That lawsuit is suing the NCAA, video game maker EA Sports (likeness in video games) and the Collegiate Licensing Company.
|Send Feedback to Tony Crumpton: Email | Comment||
- Herbstreit predicts Clemson will win National title
- Auburn to make Clemson feel at home with "Orange Out"
- Herbstreit on Clemson's offense "Best in the country"
- Clemson DE injured in moped accident
- ESPN: Should Swinney be in trouble over a FaceTime call?
- Clemson ranked #2 in Preseason AP Top 25
- Clemson freshman OT with a torn ACL
- Carlos Watkins injury update
- Marvel releases Clemson-Auburn comic book cover
- WATCH: Roscoe Crosby's inspirational journey back to Clemson