|Clemson DB named as co-plaintiff in new NCAA lawsuit|
|Assoc. Editor - 2014-03-17 11:34:22.0-||
Anti-trust lawyer Jeff Kessler has filed an antitrust lawsuit on Monday against the NCAA and the five power conferences (SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12, ACC and Big 12).
The lawsuit seeks to end NCAA restrictions on schools concerning payment to players and other compensation besides just the cost of an athletic scholarship.
Clemson junior defensive back Martin JenkinsMartin Jenkins
RS Sr. Cornerback
#14 5-10, 180
View Full Profile and Rutgers hoops player Johnathan Moore are among the four plaintiffs in the suit. Jenkins is the only plaintiff with any eligibility left because the other players were seniors who have already completed their eligibility.
The suit does not seek any class action damages although the plaintiffs are seeking individual damages.
"The main objective is to strike down permanently the restrictions that prevent athletes in Division I basketball and the top tier of college football from being fairly compensated for the billions of dollars in revenues that they help generate," Kessler told ESPN. "In no other business -- and college sports is big business -- would it ever be suggested that the people who are providing the essential services work for free. Only in big-time college sports is that line drawn."
Jenkins is the second football player with ties to Clemson suing the NCAA. Former Clemson defensive back, Darius RobinsonDarius Robinson
Cornerback (2010 - 2013)
#8 5-10, 175
College Park, GA
View Full Profile, is part on the on-going landmark lawsuit O'Bannon v. NCAA. That lawsuit is suing the NCAA, video game maker EA Sports (likeness in video games) and the Collegiate Licensing Company.
|Send Feedback to Tony Crumpton: Email | Comment||
- ESPN host: "I now actively root against Clemson"
- ESPN analyst says Alabama's worst nightmare is Clemson
- WATCH: Swinney locker room speech and dance moves after ACC Championship win
- Clemson earns #2 seed in College Football Playoff
- Disney employees given tickets to ACC Championship to help fill stadium
- Deshaun Watson named finalist for 2016 Heisman Trophy Award
- Game time announced for Fiesta Bowl
- Boulware wins 2016 Jack Lambert Award
- Latest Heisman odds for Deshaun Watson
- Official Fiesta Bowl Packages Available Now!