|Clemson Baseball Preview vs. Furman & Winthrop & Notes|
|Monday, March 31, 2014 8:20 PM-||
CLEMSON, S.C. - The Tigers return home to play Furman and Winthrop in midweek games.
• Who - Furman (11-17) & Winthrop (14-15 entering Tuesday’s game at Davidson) vs. Clemson (17-9)
• Rankings - FUR - NR; WIN - NR; CU - No. 16 BA, No. 23 CB, No. 15 USA
• When - Tuesday (6:30 p.m.), Wednesday (6:30 p.m.)
• Where - Clemson, S.C. (Doug Kingsmore Stadium)
• Watch - TigerCast
• Listen - TigerCast
• Live Stats - ClemsonTigers.com
• Social Media - Twitter/Instagram (@ClemsonBaseball)
• Tickets - ClemsonTigers.com, 1-800-CLEMSON
• Promotion (Tuesday) - Two For Tuesday - All tickets are buy one, get one free.
• Promotion (Wednesday) - Get a Family Four Pack of tickets (two adults, two youth) for only $20 online at ClemsonTigers.com or at the gate.
SERIES HISTORY (FURMAN)
• Overall Record - Clemson leads 142-57-4 (1896-2013)
• Record at Clemson - Clemson leads 77-26-1 (1896-2012)
SERIES HISTORY (WINTHROP)
• Overall Record - Clemson leads 18-5 (1981-13)
• Record at Clemson - Clemson leads 14-4 (1981-13)
• Clemson is coming off two victories in two games in a rain-shortened series at No. 25 Maryland over the weekend.
• The Tigers are averaging 6.9 runs per game and hitting .300 with a .369 on-base percentage and 48 steals.
• The pitching staff has a 4.32 ERA, .250 opponents’ batting average, 2.21 strikeout-to-walk ratio and .962 fielding percentage.
• Furman is led by 21st-year Head Coach Ron Smith.
• The Paladins won one of three games at Samford last weekend. They are hitting .289 and have a 5.76 ERA and .963 fielding percentage.
• Hunter Burton is hitting a team-high .336 with a .427 on-base percentage and 23 steals.
• Winthrop is led by fourth-year Head Coach Tom Riginos.
• The Eagles won two games at home over UNC Asheville last weekend. They are hitting .235 and have a 3.46 ERA and .966 fielding percentage.
• TJ Olesczuk is hitting a team-high .414 with 11 doubles, one triple, 15 RBIs, a .469 on-base percentage and five steals.
• All nine of Clemson’s starters are hitting .280 or better. Seven of the nine are hitting .312 or better.
• In the last five ACC games, Tiger starters have combined to allow just four earned runs in 33.0 innings pitched. (1.09 ERA).
• Clemson hit 17 extra-base hits in its three games, all on the road, last week.
• Winthrop Head Coach Tom Riginos served as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Clemson for eight seasons (2003-10).
• Clemson is in second place in the ACC Atlantic Division standings with an 8-3 league record behind first-place Florida State (10-2).
• In the overall ACC standings, Clemson is in third place behind Florida State and Virginia (10-2).
KENNEDY MAKES SPLASH WITH RETURN
• Senior utility player Shane KennedyShane Kennedy
#11 6-2, 190
View Full Profile tore his ACL on October 20, 2013, but made a quick recovery and only missed the first 18 games.
• He has taken over the starting job at first base and is hitting .346 with one double, one triple, one homer, five RBIs and three steals.
• In the first game of a doubleheader at Maryland on March 28, he went 4-for-4 with a homer and the go-ahead, run-scoring triple in the ninth.
TWO FORMER TIGERS ON MLB ROSTERS
• Former Tiger infielder Jeff BakerJeff Baker
# 6-2, 210
View Full Profile (2000-02) and former Tiger shortstop Brad MillerBrad Miller
Infielder (2009 - 2011)
#13 6-1, 185
View Full Profile (2009-11) are both on major league rosters in 2014.
• Baker (Marlins) is in his 10th MLB season, while Miller (Mariners) is in his second MLB season as the starting shortstop.
• Baker batted .334 in his Clemson career, is tied for the Tiger record with 59 career homers and was a two-time, first-team All-American.
• Miller, the 2011 ACC Player-of-the-Year, hit .339 with 36 doubles, eight triples, 16 homers, 135 RBIs and 46 steals in 191 games as a Tiger.
- Spurrier admits that he pulls for Clemson
- WATCH: Clemson-Auburn hype video "Sound the Alarm"
- Report: Auburn starting safety arrested
- WATCH: Humphries scores on 73-yard punt return TD
- ESPN: Should Swinney be in trouble over a FaceTime call?
- Photo: Kirk Herbstreit visits Clemson
- Cowherd says Watson should refuse to play for Browns
- WATCH: Alexander, Kearse both have Int's for Vikings
- Auburn names starting QB vs. Clemson
- Clemson Depth Chart released for Auburn