|Browns GM: We came very close to picking Watkins|
|by Tony Crumpton - Associate Editor - Monday, May 12, 2014 12:07 PM||
Cleveland GM Ray Farmer told Peter King of TheMMQB.com that the Browns came "very close" to selecting Clemson wide receiver Sammy WatkinsSammy Watkins
Wide Receiver (2011 - 2013)
#2 6-1, 205
Fort Myers, FL
View Full Profile with the fourth overall pick. Farmer instead elected to trade the pick to Buffalo and move down in the draft.
“We were very close to turning in the card," Farmer told King. "We very easily could have turned in the card with Sammy’s name on it.”
King asked Farmer if he would have any regrets if Watkins becomes the next Randy Moss, especially after his wide receiver Josh Gordon failed another drug test.
"Even if Sammy turns into Randy Moss, Justin Gilbert can be every bit as good as Patrick Peterson," Farmer said. "That's how much talent he has. And in the game today, I feel cornerbacks are as important as wide receivers, and maybe harder to find. So I have no regrets about it, no."
|Send Feedback to Tony Crumpton: Email | Comment||
- Clemson DT to step away from Football for a period of time
- NFL suspends Bryant for substance abuse
- Clemson-Wofford will kickoff new service from ESPN
- Latest Bowl Projection for Clemson
- Swinney makes more redshirt decisions
- Scott on QB rotation against Wofford
- WATCH: Clemson Football - "It's Time"
- Photo: Louisville to wear alternate uniforms against Clemson
- Clemson releases depth chart for Wofford
- Conan O'Brien jokingly mistakes Daniel Rodriguez for the UPS Man