|Browns GM: We came very close to picking Watkins|
|Assoc. Editor - Monday, May 12, 2014 12:07 PM-||
Cleveland GM Ray Farmer told Peter King of TheMMQB.com that the Browns came "very close" to selecting Clemson wide receiver Sammy WatkinsSammy Watkins
Wide Receiver (2011 - 2013)
#2 6-1, 205
Fort Myers, FL
View Full Profile with the fourth overall pick. Farmer instead elected to trade the pick to Buffalo and move down in the draft.
“We were very close to turning in the card," Farmer told King. "We very easily could have turned in the card with Sammy’s name on it.”
King asked Farmer if he would have any regrets if Watkins becomes the next Randy Moss, especially after his wide receiver Josh Gordon failed another drug test.
"Even if Sammy turns into Randy Moss, Justin Gilbert can be every bit as good as Patrick Peterson," Farmer said. "That's how much talent he has. And in the game today, I feel cornerbacks are as important as wide receivers, and maybe harder to find. So I have no regrets about it, no."
|Send Feedback to Tony Crumpton: Email | Comment||
- WATCH: Clemson football players react to CCU's National title
- Clemson student crowned Miss South Carolina 2016
- Clemson donor gives $2.5 million to athletics
- Former NFL standout picks Clemson to win it all
- Photo: Clemson's new Nike Mach Speed Uniforms
- Vegas Odds on Clemson winning the CFB Title
- Clemson ranked in Top 5 of Phil Steele's Preseason Poll
- Watson would like to pick the brain of Lebron James
- Fox analyst has Clemson as #1 seed in 2016 CFB playoff
- 3 Tigers named SN's Preseason All-Americans