|Brown named Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week|
|Tuesday, October 25, 2011 5:00 PM-||
DALLAS (FWAA) – Clemson defensive end Kourtnei BrownKourtnei Brown
Gr. Defensive End
#90 6-6, 255
View Full Profile has been named the FWAA/Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week for games of the weekend of Oct. 22.
Brown, a 6-6, 255-pound senior from Charlotte, N.C., scored two touchdowns – one by interception return and one by fumble return – in Clemson's 59-38 victory over North Carolina. In the second quarter, Brown made a leaping interception and returned it 20 yards for a touchdown to give Clemson a 24-10 lead and picked up a fumble and ran 26 yards for a score late in the third quarter.
Brown's feats made him the first Clemson defensive player since 1954 to score two touchdowns in the same game. He is also only the third FBS player to score touchdowns by interception return and fumble return in the same game in the last 12 years. He also recorded two tackles and a pass break-up on the day.
Brown will be added to the 2011 Bronko Nagurski Trophy Watch List. The Bronko Nagurski Trophy will be presented to the best defensive player in college football on Dec. 12 by the FWAA and the Charlotte Touchdown Club at the Westin Hotel in Charlotte, N.C. The keynote address will be given by Georgia head coach Mark Richt and Florida's Jack Youngblood from the Class of 1970 will receive this year's Bronko Nagurski Legends Award. Five finalists for the Nagurski Trophy will be announced on Nov. 17.
Each week during the 2011 season the FWAA All-America Committee has selected a national defensive player of the week from nominations made by the 11 Division I Bowl Subdivision Conferences and major independents.
Last season, Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers won the coveted Bronko Nagurski Trophy during the 16th season the FWAA named a national defensive player of the year.
2011 Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Players of the Week
• Sept. 3: Nordly Capi, Colorado State
• Sept. 10: Ja'Gared Davis, SMU
• Sept. 17: Javon Harris, Oklahoma
• Sept. 24: Jeremiah Attaochu, Georgia Tech
• Oct. 1: Brady Amack, Air Force
• Oct. 8: Jamell Fleming, Oklahoma
• Oct. 15: Vinny Curry, Marshall
• Oct. 22: Kourtnei Brown, Clemson
|Send Feedback to TigerNet Staff: Email | Comment||
- Clemson student crowned Miss South Carolina 2016
- Former NFL standout picks Clemson to win it all
- Clemson Football season tickets sold out
- Clemson donor gives $2.5 million to athletics
- Clemson will not charge students for football tickets this season
- Photo: Clemson's new Nike Mach Speed Uniforms
- Vegas Odds on Clemson winning the CFB Title
- NFL.com ranks Gallman as a Top 10 CFB running back
- WATCH: Clemson Football Hype Video 2016
- Clemson ranked in Top 5 of Phil Steele's Preseason Poll