|Brooks Center ranked #8 University Performing Arts Center|
|Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:21 PM-||
CLEMSON – Clemson University’s Brooks Center for the Performing Arts is No. 8 on the list of the “25 Most Amazing University Performing Arts Centers” ranked by bestvalueschools.com.
“With over 90,000 square feet of performance space and a 1,000-seat theater, the center is also the home of a Black Box Theatre and a recital hall,” the website says. “With modern lighting and a state-of-the-art sound system, the facility boasts nearly 75 productions yearly including Broadway productions of ‘Hairspray’ and ‘Avenue Q.’
“The Lillian and Robert Utsey Music Series has offered nearly 135 free performance in 28 years, and students are given opportunities to work with artists through various workshops, including Dr. Paul Buyer’s Steel Drum Workshop,” it says.
“This is great news for the Brooks Center,” said its director, Lillian U. Harder. “So much of what we have accomplished is due to the loyal patrons who believe in the importance of the arts and the hard work of our faculty, students, staff and crew. This accolade belongs to everyone who supports the arts in Clemson.”
Dean Richard Goodstein of the College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities echoed these sentiments.
“Clemson’s formula for success with the Brooks Center is straightforward; we put our students first, always,” he said. “We give them the venues, the mentoring and the tools to explore and develop their art, the time and tolerance to test their limits, and the warm support of an engaged community. In return, they’ve opened our eyes, lifted our spirits and brought us to our feet. We’re at No. 8 because of our students, and we never forget that.”
The 2014-2015 season will mark the Brooks Center’s 21st year.
- WATCH: Swinney's epic rant on media using "Clemsoning"
- Gamecock kicker takes a jab at Clemson
- WATCH: Swinney's interview with infamous "lugubrious" CBS analyst
- Clemson moves up in latest AP Poll
- Bowl Projection for Clemson
- Clemson has a new starter at wide receiver
- WATCH: Swinney dances in the locker room after GT win
- Jimmy Fallon jokes on Bradley Pinion
- Photos: Clemson grass parking lots
- Photo: "One South Carolina" logo on display for Clemson-GT