|Brad Miller wins MLB award|
|Clemson Athletic Communications - Monday, July 22, 2013 3:44 PM||
Clemson, SC - Former Tiger and current Major League rookie Brad Miller was named American League Player-of-the-Week, announced on Monday. In three games on the week, all after a four-day break for the All-Star Game, Miller was 5-for-13 (.385) with two homers, seven RBIs, four runs, and three walks in leading the Seattle Mariners to a three-game sweep at Houston.
In the series-opener on Friday, he went 3-for-5 with his first two home runs in the Major Leagues, five RBIs, and two runs in the Mariners’ 10-7 victory. Miller became the first Mariner rookie to earn American League Player-of-the-Week honors since Ken Griffey, Jr. in 1989.
On the season, Seattle’s primary leadoff batter and shortstop is hitting .270 with 12 runs, five doubles, two triples, two homers, 14 RBIs, a .357 on-base percentage, and two stolen bases in 19 games. In his 19 games since joining Seattle, the Mariners are 12-7 and are riding a current six-game winning streak.
Miller was a standout shortstop at Clemson from 2009-11 who batted .339 with a .451 on-base percentage, 36 doubles, eight triples, 16 homers, 135 RBIs, 173 runs, 143 walks and seven hit-by-pitches against only 112 strikeouts, and 46 steals in 191 games (189 starts).
The Windermere, FL native became the 48th Tiger in history to play in a Major League game, including the 17th Tiger who played under Head Coach Jack Leggett.
Congrats to AL Player of the Week, @SergioMillar. Brad hit .385 with 4 R, 2 HR, 7 RBI and a 1.346 OPS this weekend.— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) July 22, 2013
- Clemson student named Miss South Carolina 2015
- Deshaun Watson ranked #1 quarterback in CFB
- Photo: Clemson Groomsman Cake
- Vegas odds on Clemson 2015 season
- Anthony turning heads at Saints' practices
- Clemson lands another 2017 commit
- Clemson ranked in Top 10 for Gameday Experience
- WATCH: Paulsen makes #1 play on SportsCenter Top 10 list
- Photo: Clemson 2015 Nike Shoes
- Clemson Athletics extends radio partnership and adds 4 frequencies