|Brad Miller wins MLB award|
|Monday, July 22, 2013 3:44 PM-||
Clemson, SC - Former Tiger and current Major League rookie Brad Miller was named American League Player-of-the-Week, announced on Monday. In three games on the week, all after a four-day break for the All-Star Game, Miller was 5-for-13 (.385) with two homers, seven RBIs, four runs, and three walks in leading the Seattle Mariners to a three-game sweep at Houston.
In the series-opener on Friday, he went 3-for-5 with his first two home runs in the Major Leagues, five RBIs, and two runs in the Mariners’ 10-7 victory. Miller became the first Mariner rookie to earn American League Player-of-the-Week honors since Ken Griffey, Jr. in 1989.
On the season, Seattle’s primary leadoff batter and shortstop is hitting .270 with 12 runs, five doubles, two triples, two homers, 14 RBIs, a .357 on-base percentage, and two stolen bases in 19 games. In his 19 games since joining Seattle, the Mariners are 12-7 and are riding a current six-game winning streak.
Miller was a standout shortstop at Clemson from 2009-11 who batted .339 with a .451 on-base percentage, 36 doubles, eight triples, 16 homers, 135 RBIs, 173 runs, 143 walks and seven hit-by-pitches against only 112 strikeouts, and 46 steals in 191 games (189 starts).
The Windermere, FL native became the 48th Tiger in history to play in a Major League game, including the 17th Tiger who played under Head Coach Jack Leggett.
Congrats to AL Player of the Week, @SergioMillar. Brad hit .385 with 4 R, 2 HR, 7 RBI and a 1.346 OPS this weekend.— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) July 22, 2013
- Clemson student crowned Miss South Carolina 2016
- Former NFL standout picks Clemson to win it all
- Clemson Football season tickets sold out
- Clemson donor gives $2.5 million to athletics
- Clemson will not charge students for football tickets this season
- Photo: Clemson's new Nike Mach Speed Uniforms
- Vegas Odds on Clemson winning the CFB Title
- NFL.com ranks Gallman as a Top 10 CFB running back
- WATCH: Clemson Football Hype Video 2016
- Clemson ranked in Top 5 of Phil Steele's Preseason Poll