|Baseball: Clemson 7 Virginia Tech 6 Final|
|Clemson Athletic Communications - Friday, March 7, 2014 9:48 PM||
Clemson, SC - Tyler Slaton’s fielder’s choice with two outs in the ninth inning scored Jay Baum to give #15 Clemson a 7-6 walkoff win over Virginia Tech at Doug Kingsmore Stadium on Friday night. The Tigers, who took a 1-0 series lead, upped their home winning streak over the Hokies to 15 dating to 1984.
The Tigers (7-5, 1-0 ACC) held a 5-0 lead before the Hokies (6-5, 0-1 ACC) scored three runs in the top of the seventh inning. After Steve Wilkerson’s solo homer in the bottom of the seventh, Brendon Hayden belted a three-run homer to center to tie the score in the eighth inning.
Baum led off the ninth inning with a double down the right-field line, moved to third on Jon McGibbon’s sacrifice bunt, and scored two batters later on Slaton’s two-out grounder to first base. Sean Keselica elected to throw home, but Baum slid in safely just ahead of the tag.
Daniel Gossett took a no-hitter into the sixth inning before Tom Stoffel broke it up with a single. Gossett allowed just two hits, two runs, and two walks with nine strikeouts in 6.0 innings pitched. Matt Campbell (2-0) earned the win by tossing 2.0 scoreless and hitless innings. Hokie starter Brad Markey (2-2) suffered the loss despite totaling eight strikeouts.
Tyler Krieger, who had a team-high two RBIs, extended his hitting streak to 13. Clemson and Virginia Tech play game-two of the three-game series on Saturday at 1:00 PM.
If you can't see the PDF below, click here to open it.
- Vandy transfer commits to Clemson
- Clemson announces non-conference football schedule through 2020
- ESPN's McShay gives draft grades for Beasley, Jarrett
- WATCH: Rehabilitation featuring Watson, Choice, Brooks
- Clemson ranked #3 best ACC Town
- Beasley, Anthony picked by Kiper in latest Mock Draft
- Official Pairings Announced for Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Challenge
- Rod Hall has private workout for 6 NFL teams
- WATCH: Duggar with SportsCenter #1 Play
- Mitchell signs a financial aid agreement