|Anthony Named to Butkus and Lombardi Lists|
|Monday, July 14, 2014 4:52 PM-||
Clemson, S.C.— Clemson senior linebacker Stephone AnthonyStephone Anthony
#42 6-2, 235
View Full Profile was named to the watch list for the Butkus Award and the Lombardi Award on Monday. The Butkus Award is given annually to the top linebacker in college football, while the Lombardi Award goes to the top lineman, offensive or defensive.
Earlier, Anthony was named to the watch lists for the Bednarik Award and the Nagurski Award.
Clemson had three players named to the Lombardi Award Watch List. In addition to Anthony, Grady JarrettGrady Jarrett
Sr. Defensive Tackle
#50 6-1, 290
View Full Profile and Vic BeasleyVic Beasley
RS Sr. Defensive End
#3 6-3, 225
View Full Profile were also named. Clemson and Florida State were the only ACC schools with at least three players on the Lombardi Watch List.
Anthony, a third-team All-ACC player in 2013, was the top tackler on Clemson’s defense that helped the Tigers to an 11-2 record and number-seven final national ranking by USA Today. The senior from Polkton, N.C. had 131 tackles, including 13.5 tackles for loss and four sacks. He also had five passes broken up. His only interception took place on the final defensive possession of the season in the 40-35 win over Ohio State.
Jarrett had 83 tackles a year ago, including 11 tackles for loss, when he was named an honorable mention All-ACC player. His 83 tackles ranked third on the team overall, best among defensive linemen. He has 134 tackles for his 35-game career, 24 as a starter.
Beasley was a semifinalist for the award last year when he was a consensus All-American, one of just three consensus selections returning for 2014. The senior ranked second in the nation in tackles for loss per game with 1.8, was third in sacks per game at 1.0 and was 13th in caused fumbles with 0.31 per game. Beasley had 44 total tackles, 23 of which were behind the line of scrimmage and 13 of those were sacks.
- Clemson's statement on possible inclement weather for Clemson-ND
- Photo: ND coach's reaction to Clemson running down the hill
- WATCH: Swinney and team dancing in the locker room after ND win
- Friday AM Weather Update for Clemson-ND
- Clemson-ND game time and parking update
- Clemson jumps up in latest Coaches Poll
- Swinney wishes Notre Dame and their "lugubrious" crowd safe travels
- ESPN's Herbstreit impressed with Clemson after ND win
- WATCH: Swinney post-game speech cut off by ABC
- Clemson rises in latest AP Poll