|Tommy Bowden discusses ACLU while at Clemson|
|by Tony Crumpton - Associate Editor - Monday, April 21, 2014 9:16 AM||
Former Clemson head coach Tommy BowdenTommy Bowden
View Full Profile talked about his previous experiences with the American Civil Liberties Union with his previous Clemson football teams.
When I was the Head Coach at Clemson I was approached twice from the ACLU with the same concerns. The ACLU was concerned I was using buses paid for by the university to take my team to church once a year. So I said that was no problem. The next Sunday we loaded up in cars and went anyway. There was no way that I was going to hide my Christianity! So I made sure numerous voluntary resources and events were available to my team and strongly encouraged them to engage. What were the resources? We encouraged regularly attending a local church, weekly Bible studies, and organizations like the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. I made available faith based mentors, and motivational speakers who would speak around a Christian theme.
Check out his full blog entry here
Also, Tommy BowdenTommy Bowden
View Full Profile was on the show Fox and Friends last Friday morning to talk about Clemson and the FRFF.
In the FRFF's complaint, foundation staff attorney Patrick Elliott said “Christian worship seems interwoven into Clemson’s football program."
“Church is a place where you encourage your team to go” Fmr Clemson University coach @Tommy_Bowden responds to attack on players' prayer— FOX & Friends (@foxandfriends) April 18, 2014
Bowden went on to twitter and said that "Shouldn't be an issue. He (Dabo SwinneyDabo Swinney
View Full ProfileDabo Swinney
View Full Profile) has been transparent and everything is voluntary."
|Send Feedback to Tony Crumpton: Email | Comment||
- Spurrier tells Gamecock fans to circle the Clemson game
- DMac is Back, and he's excited about the chance to work with young secondary talent
- Former Clemson RB signee enrolls at Memphis
- Clemson DB out for spring after ACL surgery
- ESPN to visit Clemson for National Signing Day
- Former Clemson DB on Sports Illustrated cover
- Clemson ranked in Top 25 of Preseason ranking
- Athlon ranks Clemson #2 in ACC Atlantic
- Future non-conference football opponents for Clemson
- PHOTO: Construction on West EndZone and Oculus