Quick notes on Daby Swinney press conference
|2014-11-25 11:12:05.0- -||
Here are some of the highlights from Swinney.
- Congratulations to the Soccer team and wish them luck this weekend.
- I don't know where the season went. Incredibly fast year. I want to wish everyone a happy thanksgiving. Hope you get time to spend it with your families. Life is precious.
- Brandon Thompson's mom passed away yesterday morning. It puts a lot of things in perspective.
- Obviously, this is a big game for everybody. This is a season on its own. They are an excellent team. They are a good football team. If you really study them, they have had four difficult losses. Its been tough season for them in that regard. Couple of tough ones for us too.
- Offensively: This is a good offense. Scores 34 points a game. They do an excellent job creating that balance. Dylan is a very experienced player who has had an excellent year. He understands their system. They have a stable of running backs. All of them can play. They have all had their moments for them. Their receivers always has good skill. #3 is not big but makes a lot of plays. #11 is really a feature guy for him. He is a dynamic guy. They do an excellent job involving their tight ends.
- Defensively: Young D but has gotten better as the season goes on. They are playing with more confidence. Their defensive line are big thick guys. Couple of dynamic guys at linebacker. This is one of those guys where special teams can impact it. Two turnovers last year. We have to be sound in the kicking game. They have a good kicker and punter. We just want to finish. We have to play well and do the things that give us a chance like taking care of the football. 15 to 3 in turnovers in the last five years. It affects everything. We have to minimize the big plays.
Swinney on Watson playing: Deshaun did practice in a green jersey Monday. Today's we'll find out a lot more. It's a day-to-day thing. We may not know until gametime. He gets better every day. He has a new brace on that he feels comfortable with.
Swinney: "For whatever reason God chose me to coach at Clemson in the greatest era of South Carolina football."
Swinney on S.C. streak: We get one shot, once a year, and we certainly understand the disappointment when it doesn't go our way. To say this game discounts everything Clemson's accomplished the last six years is crazy. That's a really lack of respect to our players.
Swinney said that you have to give South Carolina credit. They've earned it on the field.
Swinney on surprise on D: Dorian O'Daniel. I felt like we were going to be a great defense. I thought we would be much improved on the back end. I have been pleasantly surprised with O'Daniel. I think he will have a bright future going forward. I am very happy with the year that Tony Steward has had. Wish a guy like that had another year. Its never too late. Some people wrote Tony off but you only need one good year. It has been very rewarding to see him play like he is. I am very proud of him.
Swinney on Watson: He's not going to be at 100 percent. He just needs to be able to do things to run our offense. He's not going to be at his 100 percent. To be honest with you, very few players out there are 100 percent when you're in your 12th game of the season - for either team. He's got to be able to execute at a high level for us, that's for sure.
Swinney on losing streak: It has not ruined our six years at Clemson but its something we've got to get changed. Homes are divided. People don't speak to each other this week. Everybody wants to brag about their team.
Swinney on rebuilding next year: We're built as a program to be very consistent. A little transition year for us now offensively, but had a good year.
Swinney on QB's: Cole Stoudt has taken all the reps with the ones as we are testing the water with Deshaun.
Swinney is very excited about the future of the running back position.
Swinney on noon game: "Shoot, man, let's get up and play. That clock's been ticking for a year."
Swinney answers a question if Spurrier might retire after season: "Heck, no. He'll coach until he's 100." I think he will coach as long as he wants to and goes out on his own terms. "To have an opportunity to coach against Spurrier after all he's done is exciting."
|Send Feedback to Tony Crumpton: Email | Comment||