|Quick notes from Dabo Swinney press conference|
|by TigerNet Staff - Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:11 AM||
* Homecoming week is always special. I appreciate all the effort by the student body. It is always special to see all the pagentry.
* Wake is well coached like always. These guys always play us tough. We will have to play well. They are an opportunistic team.
* Offensively, they have done alot in 4 games. They have done a lot of different things on playcalling. They have the option and the spread.
* Harris is a very good player. #3 is a player that you have to know where he is. They do a good job getting him the ball.
* They have seven starters back on defense. Whitlock is a "nightmare." He is a very good player. I could not believe he was back for another year. He is probably not as tall or weigh as much but he plays well.
* The LB's are good players and the secondary is good as we have played this season. They are returning starters. It will be a challenge to compete against them.
* We are looking forward to getting back to the Valley.
* Martavis Bryant will have some team discipline, it will affect his playing time this week. Unacceptable gesture after scoring a touchdown. We did not see until after the game.
* Gif Timothy is questionable with concussion. He did not practice Monday.
* We hope to get Carlos Watkins back today. The victim in the car accident was Carlos Watkins' and Dane Rogers cousin that was killed in the accident. The first thing Swinney wants to do with Watkins is "hug his neck." Watkins' is also questionable.
* Patrick Destefano is questionable with a stinger in the neck.
* On WR Depth: We will be fine. I really like Mike Williams. It will be a great opportunity for Mike Williams to get a little more playing time.
* Dabo says Vic Beasley is a classic example of growth. He has emerged as a leader. He is 235 and still emerging. Another 10-12 pounds and he will continue to get better. He is a 4th year junior that is emerged. He is a full grown man. I am happy for him. He sees that future for him and see his opportunity. He is now on his way and having a lot of fun. He is a very unselfish guy. He is not getting enough credit for his run support. He makes some plays that others can not cause he can run down plays from behind. He is a every down player. He has put on some solid mass. He is a handful. He can run around people. He can up and under people. He can bull rush people. He is creating pressure.
* Anthony has really taking another step forward and is having a great year. He is playing very confident.
* Shuey is a heck of a player and playing well.
* Mackensie Alexander decision on redshirt: Our players are playing well. I have not even had the chance to evaluate him. He has not been healthy enough. Hopefully in another few weeks we will know more. Right now, that door is still open. He has not practiced in a while. He has been in meetings and doing rehab.
* On Shaq Lawson: He might be the best player we have signed on the DL. He has the most upside. He always has a smile on his face. I am pleased to see where he is. He is off to a great start in his freshman campaign. He is mentally and physically the best i have seen in my opinion since i have been here. He sees the big picture and he works hard in practice. He works hard in the weight room and does what he needs to do in Vickery Hall. I am very proud of him. He lost his father and did prep school. You are marching at 6AM. He is not an easy deal. He would be the first to tell you that the maturity that he went though. He grew in many areas. From the time he got here, you can see he will take advantage of his situation here.
* I will take 11 more wins like the one we have. When you play great defense, you keep yourself in the game. We are much better on defense after 3 games this season than last. We have more knowledge and we are more healthy on the back end. Martin Jenkins role will increase. I am really like our two safeties. We have to develop some depth at safety because Robert and Blanks can't play 70 snaps.
* On Bryant gesture: Dabo said continue to grow. You are always teaching. It is just unacceptable behavior. I wish I would have seen it during the game. I wish the refs would have seen it and called a flag. Everyone missed it. It is not representative of what we are doing. I bet he does not do it again.
* Dabo texted Boyd about how well Peyton Manning played last night.
* I am excited that we have won in different ways. It has been a pretty complete effort for the three games. Complete teams find different ways to win. I am hopeful that we will continue to see that. Tajh is taking care of the football. For the most part, making good decisions. He is not going got worse. He will continue to find that rhythm. We need to do more communication and clean some stuff up on protection and slide protection. We have let a few guys slip through our wall. TE's and backs also have to help improve on the protection.
* On Boyd could have being 32-37: We missed a few drops, few misses, few protection problems. We missed Sammy on the screen. We left some plays on the field that we need to convert on. Things that we can control.
|TigerNet Staff can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org||
|Discuss this update on the Coach Board - Chat about this update in TigerActive Chat|
12/1 - Dabo Swinney talks BCS Bowl12/1 - Quick notes on Dabo Swinney teleconference11/30 - Video: Dabo Swinney SC postgame press conference11/30 - Quick notes on Dabo Swinney post game11/27 - Bourret Stat on Dabo Swinney11/26 - Video: Dabo Swinney previews South Carolina11/26 - Quick notes on Dabo Swinney press conference11/24 - Quick notes on Dabo Swinney teleconference11/23 - Video: Dabo Swinney Citadel postgame press conference