|Pairings Announced for Chick-fil-A Bowl Challenge|
|Press Release - Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:14 PM||
Greensboro, Ga. (April 23, 2014) – The Chick-fil-A Bowl Challenge today announced the official pairings for the eighth edition of the annual charity golf tournament. An 11-team field of NCAA head coaches and celebrity alumni will compete in a two-man scramble format over 18 holes, vying for a first-place prize of $125,000 in scholarship funds. All participating teams will receive a portion of the $520,000 total scholarship purse.
Featured groups highlight conference and state rivalry pairings, and include:
Alabama Nick Saban / Mark Ingram
Mississippi Hugh Freeze / Sean Tuohy
Georgia Tech (2011, 2012 Champions) Paul Johnson / Jon Barry
Virginia Tech (2007 Champions) Frank Beamer / Dell Curry
North Carolina Larry Fedora / Roy Williams
South Carolina (2008, 2009 Champions) Steve Spurrier / Sterling Sharpe
Mississippi State Dan Mullen / Fred McCrary
N.C. State Dave Doeren / Terry Harvey
Cincinnati Tommy Tuberville / JK Schaffer
The nation’s premier head coach and celebrity golf event will be held April 27-29 at the Reynolds Plantation resort on Lake Oconee outside Atlanta. Over the past seven years, the Chick-fil-A Bowl Challenge has provided $4.03 million in scholarship and charitable contributions.
The Chick-fil-A Bowl Challenge is a significant contributor to the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl’s overall charitable and scholarship donations, which total more than $17 million since 2002, making the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl college football’s most charitable bowl game.
The tournament is being taped by ESPN for broadcast in August and December. Specific air dates will be announced this summer.
- Watson takes the high road in response to Spurrier comments
- Spurrier talks Clemson and Watson at impromptu press conference
- Swinney: "I've already made a decision on Lakip"
- No jail for Rogers, but will miss 2015 Clemson football season
- Swinney discusses his relationship with Tommy Bowden
- New Faces Set for ESPN College Football Studio Shows
- Dabo on the added emphasis vs. South Carolina
- Swinney discusses rivalry with Gamecocks on SportsCenter
- Swinney "shakes it off" during ACC rapid fire questions
- Clemson ranked in Top 20 of ESPN's Preseason FPI