|Notes from Dabo Swinney spring practice press conference|
|by TigerNet Staff - Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:17 PM||
* Dabo SwinneyDabo Swinney
View Full Profile called this team the most veteran team he has had with 19 scholarship seniors.
* Swinney said that coaches have done a lot of self-scouting to break down what the team did right and wrong last season.
* Swinney said he is "incredibly excited" about about his defense. He thinks the team will come out of spring with a lot of depth, but there is still a long way to go to be Top 10 or Top 5 defense.
* The biggest question on offense for Swinney is not QB, RB, or WR but the offensive tackles. Two tackles were lost that were unexpected - Gifford Timothy and Patrick Destefano.
* Swinney said Eric Mac Lain will enter spring as the starter at guard, but will also play some tackle.
* Kalon Davis will also practice at guard and tackle. Isaiah Battle, Shaq Anthony and Joe Gore will also be in the mix at tackle.
* OL Oliver Jones will be limited the first few days of practice. RB Tyshon Dye will be out. Dye has a great attitude and Swinney loves how he has responded to the injury.
* WR Charone Peake looks great. He will be held out of contact. LB Kellen Jones looking good but will be held out of contact as well.
* DB Travis Blanks is only 11 weeks out from surgery. DB Martin Jenkins had shoulder surgery and will be out of spring. LB Marcus Ballard had shoulder surgery will be out.
* T.J. Green has been moved to safety for the spring. Not sure yet if will be a permanent. move. He is one of fastest guys on the team. It was something Green wanted to do.
* Zach Riggs has moved to center from tight end.
* Swinney said that Cole Stoudt is the leader at QB because he has experience..."Somebody has to go out there first"
* Swinney said that he would play 2 QBs if it gave Clemson a better chance to win. He is very confident with the QBs they have on campus.
* Swinney thinks C.J Davidson will leave his mark at Clemson at the running back position.
* Swinney calls Kurt Fleming a wild card at running back that hasn't played football in four years.
* Swinney said the doctors like how the surgery went with Tyshon Dye's achilles and feel like he will be back this season. The question is whether it will be for Georgia or later in the season.
* According to Swinney, "regardless of suspension" Beasley would not have been first-team going into spring because he needs to refocus.
* Swinney would like to be a little more balanced between run and pass this season like they were in 2012.
* Wide receiver freshmen will cross-train at different positions. Artavis Scott will work first with Adam Humphries at 2. Kyrin Priester at 9 with Mike Williams. Demarre Kitt at 5 with Germone Hopper.
* On Mackensie Alexander: "Man...He’s special, looks tremendous. Been really good to see him bouncing around without being hindered....He is ready to go compete."
* On Adrian Baker: He would have probably played last season if had not go hurt in fall camp.
* Swinney is very confident in the red-shirt freshman corners. He said that not signing any corners "a sign we really like those guys."
* Tony Steward and Stephone Anthony are the starters at MIKE and WILL linebackers. Swinney said that he is excited for Tony Steward and he is ready to seize the moment.
* Swinney on slow-it-down rule proposal: "I just think there’s an agenda there, that’s the bottom line. Where does it stop?"
* Swinney said he is for the 8-game ACC schedule not the 9-game schedule due to the flexibility to play teams like Georgia.
* Korrin Wiggins will crosstrain at nickel and SAM linebacker and might be the replacement for Quandon Christian in some situations.
* More updates are coming
|Send Feedback to TigerNet Staff: Email | Comment||
- Spurrier tells Gamecock fans to circle the Clemson game
- DMac is Back, and he's excited about the chance to work with young secondary talent
- Former Clemson RB signee enrolls at Memphis
- Photo: C.J. Spiller and Ray Ray McCloud
- Clemson DB out for spring after ACL surgery
- ESPN to visit Clemson for National Signing Day
- Former Clemson DB on Sports Illustrated cover
- Clemson ranked in Top 25 of Preseason ranking
- Athlon ranks Clemson #2 in ACC Atlantic
- Future non-conference football opponents for Clemson