|Study: Clemson has $1.9 billion impact on state, generates 25,000 jobs|
|Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:36 PM-||
CLEMSON — Clemson University generated approximately $1.9 billion in economic output for South Carolina last year and its activities accounted for nearly 25,000 jobs, according to a new study.
It showed Clemson’s net impact on state government revenue was $81.8 million more than its state appropriation, and its net return to local governments was $128.2 million.
“In other words, Clemson is a net funder of state and local government, generating millions of dollars more in economic output than it receives in annual appropriations,” said Rob Carey, director of the Regional Economics Analysis Laboratory at the Strom Thurmond Institute at Clemson, who conducted the study.
The 2013 Economic Impact report showed:
* Clemson’s Public Service Activities, which includes the Cooperative Extension Service, accounted for 1,873 jobs statewide, $145.8 million in economic output, $10.5 million in net local government revenue and $14.2 million in net state revenue;
* Athletics – including capital expenditures, operations and spending by visitors to events – generated 3,024 jobs, $204.7 million in total economic output, $101.7 million in disposable income, $16.9 million in net state revenue and $12.4 million in net local revenue; and
* The Clemson Conference Center and Inn, which comprises the Madren Conference and Continuing Education Center, the Walker Golf Course and the Martin Inn, created 284 jobs, $14.17 million in economic output, $6.5 million in disposable income, $846,000 in net local government revenue and $1,146 million in net state government revenue statewide.
“This was a conservative economic impact study,” Carey said. “It is limited to those economic factors that can be attributed directly to university activities.”
He said it does not include the impact of nearly 60,000 Clemson alumni who live in the state; the jobs created by private companies located at innovation campuses in Greenville, Charleston and Anderson.
- Boulware fires back at NFL analyst on Twitter
- National Championship Odds for Clemson after NSD
- 2016 Football Gameday Designations Announced
- Swinney: I always told my Mama I'd make it to Yale
- Watson pays tribute to Cam Newton before Super Bowl
- Clemson ranked in Top 5 of ESPN's 2016 Way-Too-Early Top 25
- 8 Tigers invited to the NFL combine
- WATCH: Clemson football players go to a kid's birthday party
- Three Tigers listed in NFL Mock Draft
- Jeopardy question involved Clemson