|Six-Run Fifth Propels Panthers Over No. 20 Tigers 13-4 Sunday|
|Sunday, April 20, 2014 3:46 PM-||
PITTSBURGH, PA. – Pittsburgh scored six runs on only three hits and five costly Tiger walks in the fifth inning in its 13-4 victory over No. 20 Clemson on Sunday afternoon at Charles L. Cost Field. The Panthers (17-22, 9-12 ACC) salvaged the series against the Tigers (24-15, 12-8 ACC), who won two of three games.
Chris OkeyChris Okey
#25 6-0, 180
Mount Dora, FL
View Full Profile, who hit a solo homer in the sixth inning, plated Tyler KriegerTyler Krieger
#3 6-2, 170
Johns Creek, GA
View Full Profile on an RBI groundout in the third inning to give Clemson a 1-0 lead. But the Panthers responded with six runs in the fifth inning. Boo Vazquez’s two-run double ended Clemson’s 23 scoreless innings pitched streak since the first inning of the series, then four straight two-out walks plated two more runs. Matt Johnson, who led off the frame with a bunt single, lined a single to center to score the last two runs in the sixth. The Panthers added two runs in the sixth inning and five runs in the seventh to put the game out of reach.
Pittsburgh starter Matt Wotherspoon (4-5) earned the win by scattering eight hits and allowing just two runs in 5.1 innings pitched. Tiger starter Jake LongJake Long
RS Jr. RH Pitcher
#39 5-10, 180
View Full Profile (2-2) suffered the loss, as he yielded three hits, six runs and six walks with five strikeouts in 4.2 innings pitched.
Clemson hosts Liberty on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. Fans can obtain free tickets for the game by filling out a short form on ClemsonTigers.com. The voucher is good for all immediate family members. Forms are also available at the Athletic Ticket Office and at the gates on gameday. Fans not wishing to complete the form can purchase a ticket for $5 by visiting the Athletic Ticket Office or by calling 1-800-CLEMSON beginning Thursday. Season ticket holders will be admitted at no charge whether they participate or not, but their responses would be helpful. All seats for the game are general admission.
- Clemson offensive line ranked #1 in the nation
- Swinney says Saban trying to "kiss up" for onside kick
- Freshman numbers assigned - Feaster gets Spiller's 28
- Clemson-FSU ranked best game in college football
- Richt on past recruitment of Deshaun Watson
- WATCH: Swinney pays off bet to Saban
- WATCH: Mike Williams Returns From Neck Injury To Be Difference Maker
- Football season brings new parking ordinance for Clemson
- WATCH: Swinney wants Dalvin Cook And DeMarcus Walker to take weekend off
- Two Tigers named as Heisman Candidates in the ACC