|No. 2 Cavaliers Defeat No. 14 Tigers 3-2|
|Clemson Athletic Communications - Friday, April 11, 2014 8:58 PM||
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA. - Nathan Kirby tossed 6.0 effective innings with six strikeouts in No. 2 Virginia's 3-2 victory over No. 14 Clemson at UVa Baseball Stadium on Friday night. The Cavaliers (29-5, 13-3 ACC) took a 1-0 lead in the series against the Tigers (20-13, 9-6 ACC).
Kirby (7-1), fresh off his no-hitter at Pittsburgh last weekend, earned the win by allowing just four hits, two runs and three walks with six strikeouts. Nick Howard pitched the ninth inning to record his 10th save of the year. Tiger starter Matthew CrownoverMatthew Crownover
So. LH Pitcher
#44 5-11, 205
View Full Profile (6-3) suffered the loss despite allowing just five hits and two earned runs in 7.0 innings pitched.
The Cavaliers scored two runs in the second inning, one of which came thanks to a costly Tiger error, then two-out, run-scoring singles by Tyler KriegerTyler Krieger
#3 6-2, 170
Johns Creek, GA
View Full Profile and Steven DuggarSteven Duggar
#9 6-1, 185
View Full Profile tied the score in the third inning. But Nate Irving's two-out double in the fourth inning plated Howard for the go-ahead run.
The series continues Saturday at 2:30 p.m.
- Spurrier tells Gamecock fans to circle the Clemson game
- DMac is Back, and he's excited about the chance to work with young secondary talent
- Former Clemson RB signee enrolls at Memphis
- Photo: C.J. Spiller and Ray Ray McCloud
- Clemson DB out for spring after ACL surgery
- ESPN to visit Clemson for National Signing Day
- Former Clemson DB on Sports Illustrated cover
- Clemson ranked in Top 25 of Preseason ranking
- Anthony named Award Winner at Senior Bowl
- Athlon ranks Clemson #2 in ACC Atlantic