|No. 2 Cavaliers Defeat No. 14 Tigers 3-2|
|Clemson Athletic Communications - Friday, April 11, 2014 8:58 PM||
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA. - Nathan Kirby tossed 6.0 effective innings with six strikeouts in No. 2 Virginia's 3-2 victory over No. 14 Clemson at UVa Baseball Stadium on Friday night. The Cavaliers (29-5, 13-3 ACC) took a 1-0 lead in the series against the Tigers (20-13, 9-6 ACC).
Kirby (7-1), fresh off his no-hitter at Pittsburgh last weekend, earned the win by allowing just four hits, two runs and three walks with six strikeouts. Nick Howard pitched the ninth inning to record his 10th save of the year. Tiger starter Matthew CrownoverMatthew Crownover
So. LH Pitcher
#44 5-11, 205
View Full Profile (6-3) suffered the loss despite allowing just five hits and two earned runs in 7.0 innings pitched.
The Cavaliers scored two runs in the second inning, one of which came thanks to a costly Tiger error, then two-out, run-scoring singles by Tyler KriegerTyler Krieger
#3 6-2, 170
Johns Creek, GA
View Full Profile and Steven DuggarSteven Duggar
#9 6-1, 185
View Full Profile tied the score in the third inning. But Nate Irving's two-out double in the fourth inning plated Howard for the go-ahead run.
The series continues Saturday at 2:30 p.m.
- Clemson OL will miss spring practice with medical issue
- C.J. Spiller will not be returning to the Bills
- Clemson 2015 Pro Day Updates
- Venables: "I would have stayed for a lot less"
- Report: Spiller turned down $4.5 million from Bills
- Clemson ranked high in Athlon's Pre-Spring Top 25
- Clemson freshman jersey numbers
- Sunday's Clemson-SC baseball game postponed
- Swinney on Deshaun Watson's rehab
- ESPN ranks Watson #2 intriguing ACC figure