|Erwin strikes out 13 to lead Clemson to a win over Western Carolina|
|Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:20 PM-||
CLEMSON, S.C. - Sophomore lefthander Zack ErwinZack Erwin
So. LH Pitcher
#33 6-4, 180
View Full Profile struck out a career-high 13 batters to lead No. 20 Clemson to an 11-3 victory over Western Carolina at Doug Kingsmore Stadium on Wednesday night. The Tigers (25-16) split the home-and-home season series with the Catamounts (26-13), who defeated Clemson in Cullowhee on March 4.
Erwin (3-2) earned the win by tossing 7.0 strong innings in a starting role. The Duluth, Ga. native allowed only four hits, three runs and two walks along with his 13 strikeouts, the most by a Tiger since Daniel GossettDaniel Gossett
Jr. RH Pitcher
#23 6-0, 180
View Full Profile had 13 strikeouts against Winthrop on April 3, 2012. Erwin's previous career-high total for strikeouts was seven. Catamount starter Bryce Danielson (0-1) suffered the loss.
Clemson scored seven combined runs in the first four innings. Steve WilkersonSteve Wilkerson
Sr. 2nd Base
#17 6-1, 195
View Full Profile's two-run double in the second inning highlighted the uprisings. The Tigers, who scored in six of their eight innings at the plate, added three runs in the ninth inning to put the game out of reach. The Catamounts, who entered the game with a SoCon-leading .393 on-base percentage, scratched with three runs in the fifth inning.
The Tigers host No. 11 Miami (Fla.) in a three-game series beginning Friday at 6:30 p.m. on CSS and ESPN3.
- Gametime announced for Clemson-Louisville
- ESPN College GameDay coming to Clemson-Louisville
- Swinney confirms ACL injury for Clemson WR and other injuries
- College GameDay hints at Louisville vs. Clemson
- Clemson stays in Top 5 in latest AP Poll
- Will Muschamp takes a friendly jab at Clemson
- Petitions started for College Gameday to pick WMU-CMU over Clemson-UL
- ACC announces game times and TV networks
- Vegas Odds on Clemson-Georgia Tech
- Clemson on ESPN's upset alert vs. Georgia Tech