|Clemson walks off with win over top-seeded Miami in ACC tournament|
|Thursday, May 22, 2014 11:00 PM-||
GREENSBORO, N.C. – Senior Steve Wilkerson hit a walkoff single in the ninth inning to score Tyler Slaton, giving Clemson a 3-2 win over No. 3 Miami (Fla.) in the ACC Tournament at NewBridge Bank Park on Thursday night. The Tigers (36-22) improved to 2-0 in the ACC Tournament, while the Hurricanes (40-17) fell to 0-2 in the tourney.
With the victory, Jack Leggett registered his 1,300th career win in his 35th season as a head coach at the Division I level. He tied Bob Bennett, who had 1,300 career victories, for ninth place on the all-time wins list.
The Tigers trailed 2-0 before Jay Baum’s groundout scored Steven Duggar in the third inning. Senior Jon McGibbon came off the bench and hit a towering solo homer, his third long ball of the season, to right field in the sixth inning to tie the score 2-2. After getting out of a jam in the top of the ninth inning, the Tigers put runners on first and second with one out before Wilkerson belted the first pitch through the right side to score Slaton.
Tiger reliever Drew Moyer (5-1) picked up the win by recording the final out in the ninth inning. Starter Daniel Gossett allowed just seven hits, two runs and two walks with eight strikeouts in 8.1 innings pitched. Hurricane reliever Bryan Garcia (5-4) suffered the loss.
The Tigers play No. 9 seed Georgia Tech on Friday at 3 p.m. on RSN and ESPN3. Clemson is the designated home team and will occupy the third-base dugout. The Tigers must win the game in order to advance to the ACC Championship Game.
- Clemson named regional host for 2016 NCAA Baseball Tournament
- Ben Boulware trolls FSU after Clemson wins ACC Title
- ACC Baseball Championship moved up due to forecast
- WATCH: Clemson celebrates 2016 ACC Baseball Championship
- WATCH: Analyst says Watson is NOT a Top 5 QB for 2017 NFL Draft
- Blossomgame makes his decision on the NBA
- Clemson to open NCAA Tournament at home against Western Carolina
- Clemson baseball earns No.7 National Seed in NCAA Tournament
- Clemson NCAA Regional bracket and game times
- Latest NCAA Regional projection for Clemson Baseball