|Clemson Evens Series With 8-0 Win Over Notre Dame Saturday|
|Saturday, May 10, 2014 4:39 PM-||
SOUTH BEND, IND. – Daniel Gossett pitched a four-hit shutout in No. 24 Clemson’s 8-0 victory over Notre Dame at Frank Eck Stadium on Saturday afternoon. The Tigers (31-20, 13-12 ACC) evened the series against the Fighting Irish (18-31, 5-21 ACC) and picked up their first-ever win over Notre Dame. With its 31st victory, Clemson also assured itself its 50th consecutive winning season, the third-longest active streak in the nation.
Gossett (7-0) earned the win by allowing just four hits, no runs and one walk with 11 strikeouts. Fighting Irish starter Michael Hearne (4-6) suffered the loss, as he gave up seven hits, five runs (two earned) and one walk with one strikeout in 5.0 innings pitched.
Clemson took the lead for good with three unearned runs in the third inning. With two outs and the bases loaded, third-baseman Kevin DeFilippis booted Tyler Krieger’s grounder to allow one run to score, then his errant throw on the play let two more Tigers score. Clemson added two runs in fifth inning and three runs in the eighth inning.
The series concludes Sunday at 12:05 p.m.
- Clemson's statement on possible inclement weather for Clemson-ND
- Friday AM Weather Update for Clemson-ND
- Clemson-ND game time and parking update
- Vegas Odds for Clemson-Notre Dame
- Notre Dame CB on Watson: “I don’t think he’s a top five quarterback"
- Photo: ND coach's reaction to Clemson running down the hill
- Swinney on ND game: "I couldn't get Jesus tickets"
- WATCH: Clemson vs Notre Dame Hype Video
- WATCH: Kirk Herbstreit breaks down Clemson-ND
- ESPN reporters are All-In on Clemson over ND