Clemson Baseball Preview vs. NC State
RALEIGH, N.C. - The Tigers close the regular season with a three-game series at NC State from Thursday to Saturday.
• Who - Clemson (38-15, 16-11 ACC) vs. NC State (31-21, 14-13 ACC)
• Rankings - CU - No. 14 BA, No. 14 CB, No. 12 USA; NR
• When - Thursday (6 p.m.), Friday (6:30 p.m.), Saturday (1 p.m.)
• Where - Raleigh, N.C. (Doak Field)
• Watch - ACC Network Extra
• Video Announcers - Adam Gold, Andrew Sanders
• Listen - TigerCast, Clemson Tiger Sports Network
• Live Stats - ClemsonTigers.com
• Social Media - ClemsonBaseball
• Overall Record - Clemson leads 116-80-1 (1921-16)
• Record at NC State - Clemson leads 43-40 (1935-15)
• Clemson rallied for an 11-8 victory over No. 24 Coastal Carolina on Tuesday night at Doug Kingsmore Stadium.
• The Tigers are averaging 6.3 runs per game and hitting .286 with a .386 on-base percentage and 46 steals.
• The pitching staff has a 3.26 ERA, .249 opponents’ batting average and 4.02 strikeout-to-walk ratio and Clemson is fielding .970.
NC STATE OVERVIEW
• NC State is led by 21st-year head coach Elliott Avent.
• The Wolfpack have won 11 of 12 games and swept Pittsburgh. They are hitting .278 and have a 3.83 ERA and .975 fielding percentage.
• Brad Debo is hitting .347 with 39 RBIs, while Josh McLain is batting .320 with 11 steals. Joe Dunand has added 16 homers and 47 RBIs.
• The last time the Tigers closed the regular season with a three-game series at NC State was during the 2009 season.
• The Tigers are averaging 7.7 runs per game in their 38 wins and 2.7 runs per game in their 15 losses.
• Righthander Jeremy Beasley leads the Tigers in opponent batting average on balls in play (.184), which excludes homers and strikeouts.
BYRD STEADY AT THIRD BASE
• Sophomore Grayson Byrd sat out in 2016 after transferring from Louisiana State. He has emerged as the everyday starter at third base.
• He has made 32 starts at third base and 12 starts at second base in 2017.
• He is hitting .288 with four doubles, a homer, 17 RBIs, 19 runs and three steals in 47 games (44 starts).
• He is hitting .323 with runners on base and a team-high .359 with two outs.
• He has a solid .933 fielding percentage.
• His father, Paul, played 14 years in the majors with the Mets, Braves, Phillies, Royals, Angels, Indians and Red Sox.