|Baseball: Maine 3 Clemson 13 Final|
|Clemson Athletic Communications - Saturday, February 22, 2014 5:24 PM||
Clemson, SC - The #13 Clemson Tigers defeated Maine 13-3 on Saturday afternoon at Doug Kingsmore Stadium, giving Head Coach Jack Leggett his 1,268th career win to move into sole possession of 10th place on the Division I wins list. Leggett, a 1976 Maine graduate, moved ahead of the late Ron Fraser, who had 1,267 wins in his coaching career. The Tigers took a 2-0 series lead and improved to 4-1 overall, while the Black Bears fell to 1-4.
Clemson led 2-0 before Maine plated three unearned runs in the top of the fifth inning on Kyle Silva’s two-out, three-run double. However, the Tigers responded with two runs in the bottom of the fifth inning to take the lead and blew the game open with nine more runs the rest of the way.
Clemson totaled 18 hits, its highest total since 2012. Every Tiger starter had at least one hit and 11 Tigers in all had a hit. Tyler Slaton led the way with a career-high-tying four hits, while freshman Weston Wilson hit his first career homer. Steven Duggar extended his hitting streak to 14 games as well.
“When you start hitting the ball, it gets contagious,” said Leggett. “It’s nice to have one of those games, and hopefully we can build off that.
“I’m excited about Slaton. He’s a good player for us…a hard-nosed, tough, blue-collar guy. I really like him a lot.”
Tiger starter Matthew Crownover (2-0) earned the win, allowing eight hits, three unearned runs, and one walk with four strikeouts. Maine reliever Logan Fullmer (0-1) suffered the loss.
Clemson and Maine play the series-finale on Sunday at 12:00 PM. Fans can get a Family Four Pack of tickets for $20 at ClemsonTigers.com or at the gate. It is also Social Sunday, as fans who show their voucher at @ClemsonBaseball on Twitter or Instagram can buy $2 fried mac & cheese bites.
Coach Leggett recorded his 1,268 win in today's game. That moves him in to 10th place all-time in NCAA Div. I wins. pic.twitter.com/Q2lPhp57dK— Clemson Baseball (@ClemsonBaseball) February 22, 2014
If you can't see the PDF below, click here to open it.
- Watson takes the high road in response to Spurrier comments
- Spurrier talks Clemson and Watson at impromptu press conference
- Swinney: "I've already made a decision on Lakip"
- No jail for Rogers, but will miss 2015 Clemson football season
- Swinney discusses his relationship with Tommy Bowden
- New Faces Set for ESPN College Football Studio Shows
- Dabo on the added emphasis vs. South Carolina
- WATCH: Clemson Players go Nuts for Amazing Deshaun Watson TD
- Swinney "shakes it off" during ACC rapid fire questions
- Clemson ranked in Top 20 of ESPN's Preseason FPI