It was a day of mixed feelings for Clemson on Tuesday. The good news starting center Dustin Fry returned to practice, but the bad news Roman Fry is now out with a hamstring. Fry is expected to be back at practice Thursday, and on Thursday a new competition could emerge.
“Dustin looked pretty good today, but of course Roman (Fry) was out today. Chris McDuffie has been impressive at guard. I am not sure he couldn’t play tackle. Roman played pretty good at center, when Dustin was out. We might let that materialize into a battle between Dustin and Roman at center, and work McDuffie at second team guard,” said head coach Bowden.
Coach Bowden reiterated on Tuesday he expects McDuffie to contribute this season.
“He has really looked pretty good for just two days. We will have a lot of time with him thank goodness. We will have 3 or 4 weeks to work with him, which is a pretty good chunk of time for second team guard, who is gonna play 8 plays a game. He is a guy that has been around, so he knows the game.”
Freshman Rendrick Taylor continues to get more repetitions behind Aaron Kelly at the Z-position.
“He has looked good, but he is just a little banged up right now. The tempo and length of practices, and little bit more contact He is used to being bigger than everybody, but now he is getting hit by some bigger guys. He has done pretty good though, he fought threw it today and ran his conditioners. Aaron Kelly continues to be real consistent. Out of all the receivers he has dropped the fewest passes, and he is only a redshirt freshman,” said Coach Bowden.
The Tigers will work from 8:15 to 10:45 a.m., then return in the afternoon for the second session of the day (4:30-6:30).
- Nothing thus far has caused Coach Bowden to retract his statement that the 2005 recruiting class was his best class to date. “From top to bottom, I would say it is our most solid class.”
- Anthony Waters missed his second consecutive day of practice with turf toe. Lionel Richardson and Antonio Clay are splitting the reps in Waters absence. Bobby Williamson missed Tuesday’s practice with an unspecified illness.
- Michael Hamlin is working at both safety positions. He is the current backup for Jamaal Fudge and CJ Gaddis. Roy Walker is still coming along as the fourth safety, but he is behind Hamlin.
- Cory Lambert and Chris Capote are battling behind Marion Dukes at right tackle, while Tim Debeer has settled in as the number two left tackle.
- Rashaad Jackson will now wear jersey number 91, and Chris McDuffie will wear #68. Jackson previously wore #90, but senior tight end Cole Downer will wear #90.