ACC, SEC Announce Suspensions for Brawl


by -
    |
Tommy Bowden and Lou Holtz try to restore order on the field.

GREENSBORO, N.C. - - The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today that six Clemson football players have been suspended, and four others reprimanded, as a result of the fighting incident that occurred at the South Carolina-Clemson football game on November 20.


Following a thorough review of available video footage, the ACC has issued one-game suspensions to Nathan Bennett, Brandon Cannon, Duane Coleman, Roman Fry, Maurice Nelson and Anthony Waters. Each player’s one-game suspension must be served during the 2005 regular season with each player’s game to be determined by Clemson University. In addition, senior Yusef Kelly would have received a one-game suspension if he had any eligibility remaining.



In addition, Cory Groover, Tommy Sharpe, Nick Watkins and Bobby Williamson will receive letters of reprimand for their involvement in the incident.


“I commend Clemson University for the way they immediately and decisively addressed the situation,” said Swofford. “They made a loud and clear statement for college football by foregoing a bowl invitation. Clemson’s strong action mitigated additional consideration of sanctions involving other student-athletes as well as individual multiple game suspensions.


“What took place in the South Carolina-Clemson game has no place in college football or any other sporting event. The ACC is compelled to take this action because of the nature and seriousness of the situation and to further provide a clear and definitive message that the Conference will make every effort to exemplify the very best qualities of sportsmanship and that the actions that took place are not acceptable at the institutional or conference level.”


SEC Announces Suspensions of South Carolina Football Players


BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- The Southeastern Conference announced today that six South Carolina football players have been suspended for the first game of the 2005 football season, as a result of the fighting incident that occurred at the South Carolina-Clemson football game on November 20.
Following a thorough review of available video footage, the SEC has issued suspensions to Daccus Turman, Jermaine Sims, Freddy Saint-Preux, Woodly Telfort, Moe Thompson and Charles Silas. Seniors Taqiy Muhammad, Matthew Thomas and Jamacia Jackson, would have been suspended, if they had eligibility remaining, bringing the total to nine.


"The actions of these suspended student-athletes violate the letter and spirit of the SEC and NCAA rules and regulations of sportsmanlike conduct," said SEC Commissioner Mike Slive. "These suspensions are intended to send a clear and unequivocal message to all student-athletes in the Southeastern Conference that this conduct will not be tolerated now or in the future and those committing unsportsmanlike acts will be held accountable for their actions."


Last week, South Carolina withdrew from post-season bowl consideration as a result of the fight. "I want to recognize the major step taken by the University of South Carolina in withdrawing from bowl consideration this year," said Slive.

Rate this Story:
88 votes

    |
Loading...

Meyer on 31-0 loss to Clemson: "We haven't addressed it"

Swinney responds to Finebaum's "intoxicated fan base" comments

WATCH: Christian Wilkins does cartwheels while playing dodgeball

WATCH: Dabo Swinney on ESPN's College Football Live

WATCH: Feaster ranked as Top 3 breakout running back in ACC

Elite DT close to making a decision. Where do the Tigers stand?

ESPN: Did Mike Williams get injured at NFL Combine?

Love. Legendary. Two words that led to a National Championship

Clemson WR target commits to Texas
Sign Up for E-Mail News Alerts
Features
Updates
Daily Digest