Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo Swinney ACC teleconference transcript
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Oct 21, 2010, 11:53 PM

A complete transcript of Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney's teleconference with the media on Wednesday afternoon. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo Swinney ACC teleconference transcript

Oct 22, 2010, 9:05 AM

I love Dabo, but most of those drops are a result of Parker throwing behind the receiver. It has been like that since he got hurt in the AU game.

Passing game

Oct 22, 2010, 9:26 AM

UNC - 21/38 (55%) for 214 yards, 5.6/attempt, 1 TD (fluke), 0 INTs
UMD - 7/20 (35%) for 106 yards, 5.3/attempt, 0 TDs, 0 INTs

I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying this "Kyle Parker's playing great" talk. Every QB in the country has drops, most QBs have players that aren't All-American, All-Conference, or just plain suck. These WR or TE/RBs were well-recruited and therefore talented enough to not have these drops.

So, it's gotta be one of the following reasons:

1. Coaching, Jeff Scott's no Dabo Swinney when it comes to teaching how to catch a ball and run routes. But for DA and AE and JH to be the sole reason in the UMD game, they either caught a bug from the WRs or there's another part of the puzzle that doesn't fit. Which leads to...

2. Play calling (technically still coaching), where we aren't taking advantage of their man coverage since they're loading the box. Seems like with a 5.3 average in pass completions with Jaron Browns 74 yarder, most of our completions are around the line of scrimmage (Spence anyone?) Passing gets easier when they sell out for the run, are the plays being called that get easy leverage? Has there been a single curl or out route completed in these two games? If not, why? Is it timing? Leading to...

3. Kyle Parker. Throwing it behind, over or just not throwing to the deeper open guy because a, he's either afraid of another Miami pick-fest, or b, wants to just get rid of it ASAP (either show his MLB arm or so he doesn't get hit,) or c, just can't play hurt. He's still getting better? Why in the world has he been the QB? Tahj can't throw 35%??? We're in trouble guys!

It's probably a combination of the three. I understand there were drops, Aaron Kelly had drops, there has to be a way to have someone open 10-20 yarders and some 20+ downfield where it doesn't take a perfect bullet and circus catch to get these defenses out of the box. If it's playcalling, do it, if it's Parker, put someone else in that can make the throw. If everyone on the field has hands like bricks, get those gloves dipped in some morter!

Blaming the shoddy passing game on drops is like Steele blaming gashes in the defense as 3 or 4 lapses with the eyes. That's why we look at stats, they're not all the same type of plays, but they sure matter. 48% averaging 5.4 yards is NOT good enough. There's more to the story than who dropped which pass. This is starting to turn into Tommy-speak!

Re: Passing game

Oct 22, 2010, 10:11 AM

Good points. I am frustrated for many of the same reasons. I am a huge Kyle Parker fan, but I can't help but have reservations when Dabo says Kyle Parker is playing well. Kyle has done a lot for Clemson... but so far the simple fact is he has held us back a little this season (except against Auburn when he played great.)

His struggles since the Auburn game have hurt our play-calling. And yes, our catching has made it even worse on him, but that certainly doesn't account for all of the reasons why our passing game has sucked.

Hopefully his troubles are behind him and we see what Kyle is capable of the rest of the season. We all know he is capable of being a great one.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he is saying this to reassure KP

Oct 22, 2010, 10:27 AM

ask Dabo the same question behind closed doors and without mics and tv and you would probably get a different answer. It would not help any confidence issues KP has for Dabo to publically throw him to the wolves, thats what SOS does and I thnk to the detriment of Garcia. What KP needs to hear is Dabos public support to reassure him that he believes in him.

I really dont think coaching and playcalling is holding us back. I mean some of these plays the player is wide open and either drops it or the ball is not thrown well. In that scenario, the play call is a good call cause the play was there, so its not a bad play call its bad execution. As for accuracy, I think this will take care of itself as KP heals. I think this offense can be successful if KP gets better on accuracy and if we can eliminate the drops as the plays are open and there to be made.

Isn't that a double standard though? Dabo is calling out the

Oct 22, 2010, 2:28 PM

receivers. Maybe if he put Tajh in a few drives he could start calling out "the quarterbacks."

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can answer 1 and 2 its all related to the defensive scheme

Oct 22, 2010, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Passing game ]

the reason why the backs and TE were thrown to more and open more had a lot to do with what MD was running. MD was run blitzing and their LBs were staying at home to defend the run. The secondary was mixing between zone looks and man coverage with safeties over the top on the Wrs protecting the intermediate and deep routes by WRS in the 7yd plus range. When you run this scheme, you are covering the run and the WRS but with the LBs staying close you are giving up the edges and pass routes underneath the zone and over the top of LBs. We were simply running either a RB or TE into these voids on the mike side as they are uncovered in this scheme due to mike side lb crashing. This was executed well from a coaching/playcalling standpoint as the plays were there to be made, it just wasnt executed well from a throw/catching standpoint. You can say thats coaching but I really dont know how much you can "coach" a player to catch a ball. I mean all you can do is preach technique of watch the ball into your hands and catch with hands and not your body, other than that the player just has to do it. As for accuracy, I thinks its a lingering effect from injury and the injury causing KP to be a hair off on his dilevery causing the ball to be behind. Not sure what the answer is here. I mean about all you can do is say KP with injury due to experience at identifying coverages and expertience still gives us the best shot at winning. We arent at practice so it would be silly to speculate on if TB would give us a better shot as we dont know where he is in his progression.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic