Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bryant falls half credit short of qualifying, will enroll at Hargrave this fall
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Jul 7, 2010, 10:21 AM

T.L. Hanna receiver Martavis Bryant, the No. 10 rated receiver recruit in the nation last season, learned last Friday that he fell a half credit short of qualifying to enroll at Clemson. He will attend Hargrave Military Academy this fall and hopes to enroll in Clemson in January. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty frustrating for all involved

Jul 7, 2010, 10:36 AM

not sure why this revelation surfaces now. Looks like there would have been a plan in case there was a problem with an iffy course

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It may have been the counselor's fault

Jul 7, 2010, 10:56 AM

But the counselor/coaching staff may have been just taking there best shot

His GPA may have been so low, that he needed to take cup cake courses just to meet the NCAA minimum GPA. They may not have wanted to risk him taking a real math course and failing.

Also, the minimum standards to stay eligible for high school sports is far different than NCAA sports. The coach may have wanted to keep him in cup cake courses to ensure he was eligible for high school sports (to benefit the coach)

God help him with math courses at CU***

Jul 7, 2010, 11:57 AM

Exactly. If you struggle with HS math, you dont belong at CU***

Jul 7, 2010, 12:46 PM

The low level class in question is about 7th grade level***

Jul 7, 2010, 8:57 PM

That's why we have PRTM***

Jul 8, 2010, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Exactly. If you struggle with HS math, you dont belong at CU*** ]

Forgot, we also have Communications and Elementary Ed***

Jul 8, 2010, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Exactly. If you struggle with HS math, you dont belong at CU*** ]

Re: It may have been the counselor's fault

Jul 7, 2010, 10:56 PM [ in reply to It may have been the counselor's fault ]

Now that sounds more like that could be the real deal. Coaches not carring what happens after his HS career was over. Its low down and dirty, but thats how the dirty ball of sports happens sometimes when a coach looks at winning over anything else. Should be an investigation, and if it is found that the coach/coaches lead the kid in the wrong direction. They should be delt with accordingly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fire his counselor!

Jul 7, 2010, 10:37 AM

Absolutely no excuse for not knowing valid credit classes for kids. Also, if there was ANY question, he should have been told to take on a summer school class just in case.

Fire Dabo

Jul 7, 2010, 10:37 AM

null

Re: Fire Dabo- you can't fire a King

Jul 7, 2010, 10:39 AM

not sure what the proper recourse is- overthrow, coup?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a KING??***

Jul 7, 2010, 10:50 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

Bryant did receive some good news yesterday though

Jul 7, 2010, 10:49 AM

He finally completed the puzzle he had been working on for the past 6 months. After completing the puzzle, Bryant confidently laughed "See, and the box said 2-4 years...ha!!!"

^^^^^ very disappointed^^^^

Jul 7, 2010, 10:55 AM

I was hoping for something car insurance realted here. :)

I'm sorry but I don't have much sympathy

Jul 7, 2010, 11:34 AM

If he passes his regular math class during the school year, he doesn't have to try and get a shady math credit at Calhoun Falls. How hard is it to get a D? It's not hard, lots of kids manage it. As an educator, I see athletes get to there Junior and Senior year, and realize that they are going to have to scramble to become eligible. I don't feel sorry for them. Do the basic work at a basic level, and these problems don't happen. Of course, when you are a great football player exceptions are made at the school, which ultimately serves the football programs well being much more than the individual students.

As an educator it should be "their" not "there"

Jul 7, 2010, 11:37 AM

Stupid South Carolina education.

That's just a typo, but watch those comma splices. ;) ****

Jul 8, 2010, 12:37 AM

yep, well said except for the their there part

Jul 7, 2010, 11:40 AM [ in reply to I'm sorry but I don't have much sympathy ]

I agree its on the kid to man up and do the work. usually at the 11th hour they get serious instead of taking care of business along the way. we are talking eligibility here not honor roll

As an educator you would see that this is not the case here

Jul 7, 2010, 11:53 AM [ in reply to I'm sorry but I don't have much sympathy ]

This class is not some class taken in the 11 th hour, it was taken in 9th or 10th grade I believe. He was told it transfered from Calhoun and it would count by his advisors and it was also accepted by Hannah. If this is the case and he was told there was nothing to worry about with the class, I see no fault by MB. Yes the kid could have been a better student and got better grades, but the fact is he completed what was asked of him even if by slim margins. I agree with your assessment in most circumstances, but I just dont see this as one of them if the kid did what his advisors told him.

You never let up jgtiger - are you related to him?

Jul 7, 2010, 12:56 PM

You have been preaching all day that the student should not beheld responsible and you are wrong. It is the student's fault - not the school, not the NCAA, not the counselor.

silly me for thinking administrators and advisors should

Jul 7, 2010, 1:02 PM

do their job. I cant even count how many times I was told while in school both college and high school if you have any questions ask your teacher or if you have any questions check with your advisor. The reason why you ask these people are that they are paid professionals to know these things and to advise you on what the correct path is and to inform you of what the requirements are. That is why they are in the positions they are in, to answer questions and advise. If he did did ask them and they said the class was ok, I cant see any fault by him besides trusting his teachers and advisors. If this is not the case and he went at blindly then I can see what you are saying.

Good point

Jul 7, 2010, 1:16 PM

Don't blame the kid for playing around, not taking school seriously, and taking the easiest classes he could find.

Blame the counselors for doing all they could to try and get him into college (even though he is no where near on par academically for an average college student)

Silly me for thinking College students must be remotely competent in the classroom

again, im not saying he couldnt improve in the class room

Jul 7, 2010, 1:26 PM

but there is a certain set of requirements which he supposedly thought and was told he was meeting, when he apparently wasnt. If he was given that info, he could have taken the necessary class in summer school. Although, if given the info in the first place maybe he never takes the class in the first place. Bash him all you want for not taking academics seriously and making good grades, thats fine. What it boils down to though (whether you think the requirements should be more strict or not) there is a minumum set of requirements set forth. If he was told he met these minimum requirements then nothing can be said cause he was doing everything asked to do. it may have been at a minimum level but it is what was asked. had he just failed and not made the grades and test scores I would be on board with you, but 11th hr or not, borderline or not, he did end up to his and his advisors believe meeting all requirements. In the end I hope this helps him, and he matures alittle while at Hargrave.

You can't put this on his advisor

Jul 7, 2010, 1:56 PM

1. The High School Advisor is responsible for getting student's the requisite credits to graduate High School.

2. The High School Advisor is an expert in High School requirements, not NCAA requirements.

3. If anyone is at fault it is Clemson for not seeing that credit on his transcript and red flagging it. They should be the experts on College eligibility, not an overworked advisor with a few hundred students to keep up with.

4. Do you know how little is required to get a D in a regular math class. If you attend class regularly, do little over half of your homework, and are not a complete punk towards the teacher, they will usually float you a D.

you keep saying regular class, it sounds like for all

Jul 8, 2010, 7:54 AM

he thought this was a regular class that was perfectly acceptable

Im willing to bet it wasn't a "regular" class

Jul 8, 2010, 10:12 AM

The NCAA does not go out of its way to screw kids over. If they red flagged a math class that he took, it probably wasn't Algebra 1. Im willing to bet it was some computer course on basic math skills

Re: silly me for thinking administrators and advisors should

Jul 7, 2010, 11:19 PM [ in reply to silly me for thinking administrators and advisors should ]

I really don't think he would have taken the shady side knowing that it would hinder him from following his dreams in college. I am more apt to think he was lead down a winding road just to keep him playing on the HS team. His dream was to play FB at Clemson. And i believe he felt he had the correct advise to follow his dream to the next level. Shame on the selfish fools that lead him in the wrong direction to forfill a credical spot on their FB team. I also believe any logical thinking would lead me/us to see he was given the wrong advice for their gain. Just don't believe MB would knowingly risk blowing his chance to follow his dream of playing at Clemson. We're all going to have our own opinion, and this mine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Need to recruit "STUDENT" athletes!******

Jul 7, 2010, 12:36 PM

The NCAA is dumb about that stuff

Jul 7, 2010, 1:33 PM

They have some stupid rules about which credits count. I took english I and algebra I in 8th grade, but the NCAA wouldn't even count those credits because they were not taken on my actual high school campus. Because I decided to get ahead of the game in high school, I was left scrambling to try to find some stupid class that would count as an english credit my senior year because I had finished english junior year, but only had 3 credits that counted for the NCAA. Sometimes its not the students fault. I would have never known this if my counselor didn't tell me when I was scheduling my senior year classes. Maybe Martavis didn't have a counselor who informed him of the same thing

Re: Bryant falls half credit short of qualifying, will enroll at Hargrave this fall

Jul 7, 2010, 1:42 PM

If a student is marginal in high school,especially in math how in the world will he stay academically eligible to play ball for four or five years at Clemson. Has Clemson gotten easier in the past 50 years?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

somehow athletes have been doing it for awhile now

Jul 7, 2010, 1:50 PM

I guarantee many of the athletes that came thru were marginal probably even after graduation. The way they get by is having every available resource to them from Vickery, what every available resource is another conversation ;)

Re: Bryant falls half credit short of qualifying, will enroll at Hargrave this fall

Jul 7, 2010, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Bryant falls half credit short of qualifying, will enroll at Hargrave this fall ]

Two words: Vickery Hall.
Plus they usually end up w/ relatively easy majors that require little math & science. Look at our athletic rosters & see how may people we have majoring in Sociology, in all sports. Used to be PRTM.

Exactly my point with the above post........

Jul 7, 2010, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Bryant falls half credit short of qualifying, will enroll at Hargrave this fall ]

but you really don't want to know the answer either.

Half a credit? Can't they round up? Hope nobody steals him***

Jul 7, 2010, 5:04 PM

I hope the Tar Heels don't sign him

Jul 7, 2010, 5:06 PM

If history repeats itself, WRs not qualifying for enrollment at Clemson are welcomed with open arms at UNC.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic