Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Two Clemson assistants listed as rising head coach candidates
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

FB Update: Two Clemson assistants listed as rising head coach candidates

Aug 24, 2017, 9:32 AM

Two Clemson assistants listed as rising head coach candidates

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Two Clemson assistants listed as rising head coach candidates

Aug 24, 2017, 9:58 AM

Venables is rolling until the wheels fall off... he's clearly stated that in multiple interviews.

Now our co-offensive coordinator could be persuaded in a few years time, but I don't see that happening. I think we've had all the movement we'll see in the coaching dept for Dabo & Co. for the next 2 yrs, with the exception of when we're allowed to add the already approved coaching position (and that's going to a defensive coach).

Message was created by: Orangapril2®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 24, 2017, 12:18 PM

Elliot should test the waters. While a Chad disciple, the man knows offense. Jeff has learned with him. ?? Zero fallofff.

Aug 24, 2017, 9:58 AM

Interesting read. I really think coach Scott should get more credit and I think he will be an excellent head coach one day. While I do think TE and VB are two of the best coordinators in the nation, and would make great head coaches, I also think they are in the sweet spot where they excel right now. It is always difficult to turn down a chance at "being the man" but hopefully they are in their current roles for a long time.

null

Scott was the one who called Renfrow's Catch

Aug 24, 2017, 2:47 PM

He saw how Bama was lining up, their playing style (defend at all costs, even if you cause penalties), and he saw how much mental stress they were under.

So right now, I would say Scott is the more valuable one.

Re: Scott was the one who called Renfrow's Catch

Aug 24, 2017, 8:49 PM

Also he's the wide receiver coach...and we all know how valuable being WRU is

One thing that makes the decision more interesting and

Aug 24, 2017, 10:26 AM

more difficult is that the elite P5 programs are now paying coordinators just as much, if not more, than a lot of the smaller P5 programs where these guys would likely go to build their resumes. Coordinator salaries have just been exploding recently, and Dabo was really one of the trendsetters in that regard.

This is just an example, but Neal Brown, a promising young HC at Troy, is making 850k a year. Elliott and Scott just got raises to 800k at Clemson and that's actually on the lower end right now since they are young and currently CO-OCs. I think Venables just got a raise to 1.7mil. Bama's new OC, Brian Daboll, is making 1.2mil this year. Matt Canada and Dave Aranda are making 1.5 and 1.8 mil at LSU.

Most of these guys would actually have to take a pay cut to leave for a non-P5 HC job, so the only thing they can really offer is an opportunity to build a HC resume. But most of these top coordinators will probably either hold out for P5 openings or just stay put given the new landscape of coordinator salaries.

Re: One thing that makes the decision more interesting and

Aug 24, 2017, 10:34 AM

I don't see any of our coaches leaving for a slight increase or for less money, and that limits the likelihood of them leaving, because they already make pretty great pay. The co-coordinators may look at it differently, but I kind of doubt it, until the right school with credentials and history makes and offer. JMO. I hope all of them get what they are after, but I hope we keep them happy at Clemson for a while longer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 24, 2017, 10:36 AM

BV isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He's one of those coaches that just loves being a DC....like Bud Foster. And I'm sure it isn't hurting any that he's the highest paid DC in the country. And again....he loves Clemson, idk how many interviews he has to do where he states how much he loves his job.

Aug 24, 2017, 10:39 AM

And, if it were me, I would want to stick around and watch my kid play.

Aug 24, 2017, 10:40 AM

furthermore, I needs some thumbs up. My points are still hurting from the Kevin Steele days.

Aug 24, 2017, 2:43 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Two Clemson assistants listed as rising head coach candidates ]

And he's coming off a Natty and top coordinator award. Great pay, number one team and personal awards? Pretty tough to beat that confluence of events.

Aug 24, 2017, 10:58 AM

I know being an avid Tiger fan makes me biased, but the whole football environment here at Clemson makes it hard to find in many places, money aside. When the money is great too, it'd be hard to leave. Working relationships with Swinney and Co. Is hard to match anywhere and their success makes it hard to trade, imo.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BV Isn't Going....

Aug 24, 2017, 12:19 PM

Anywhere for the next 5 years if ever. TE may leave at some point but I think that JC simply becomes the OC without a co-leader. There wouldn't be any drop off with him being the sole OC.

Re: BV Isn't Going....

Aug 24, 2017, 3:45 PM

Don't be so sure about that. JS is a great coach, but I see him fitting the head coach role better. TE is one of the brightest minds in the game and hopefully we don't take him for granted.

null

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic