Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Counter Thread to the coots
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 3,488

Counter Thread to the coots

Aug 19, 2017, 6:23 PM

Coots clambering about tearing down Clemson in this world of tearing down everything from the "confederacy" and slave owners. Interesting read here. They can just #### now and take the racial crap and shove it. :)

Slavery at South Carolina College, 1801–1865:
The Foundations of the University of South Carolina
This website is intended to tell the largely unknown and unfamiliar story of slavery at South Carolina College, the institutional predecessor of the University of South Carolina.

Slaves played a fundamental role at the college between its founding in December 1801 and February 1865, when slaves saw themselves liberated by the arrival of federal troops in Columbia in the final months of the Civil War. The primary buildings of South Carolina College survive as the historic heart of the modern campus—known today as the Horseshoe—and were constructed by slave labor and built of slave-made brick.

If one stands today on the steps of the university’s McKissick Museum and gazes toward Sumter Street, almost all of the buildings that constituted South Carolina College on the eve of the Civil War are visible. (The original president’s house has been replaced by McKissick Museum and several extant antebellum buildings are obscured by structures and vegetation.) It is a surprisingly intact and well-preserved “landscape of slavery.”

Slaves were essential to the daily operations of the antebellum institution, in addition to their role in shaping its built environment. Whether they were owned outright by the faculty or the college itself, or hired from private parties, slaves maintained campus buildings, cleaned student tenements and faculty duplexes, and prepared meals at the student dining commons, faculty residences, and the president’s house. Slaves lived and worked in now-forgotten outbuildings located behind the buildings of the present-day Horseshoe.

Remarkably, one kitchen house / slave quarters stands today.

Photograph of slave quarters behind First Professors House, 1940s
Slave quarters behind First Professors House [Presidents House], 1940s, SCL
Slavery also shaped the contours of the intellectual and political world at South Carolina College. Presidents and faculty members became some of the nation’s most ardent defenders of slavery, even as a handful emerged to oppose the institution. The college prepared its students to assume positions of political leadership within the state and in Washington, D.C., and many alumni came to play pivotal roles as proponents of South Carolina’s economic and racial interests in the sectional crisis that culminated in civil war. These political and intellectual leaders are relatively easy to trace in libraries and archives through their writings and their records of public service. More challenging to research are the names, much less the lives, of individual college slaves or the full details of slavery at the college.

This website was created by graduate students in the Historic Site Interpretation class offered by the Public History Program at the University of South Carolina: Allison Baker, Jennifer Betsworth, Rebecca Bush, Sarah Conlon, Evan Kutzler, Justin McIntyre, Elizabeth Oswald, Jamie Wilson, and JoAnn Zeise. Over the Spring 2011 semester, these nine history graduate students conducted research on slavery at South Carolina College, located relevant maps and images, conceptualized a design and format for the website, took the present-day photographs, and implemented their vision.

Our class invites you to explore our preliminary findings through this website.

—May 2011

For a retrospective look at the project by Evan Kutzler, Sarah Conlon, Jamie Wilson, and JoAnn Zeise, see the three-part series, “Revealing Slavery's Legacy at a Public University in the South,” on the National Council on Public History's Public History Commons: http://publichistorycommons.org/revealing-slaverys-legacy-part-1

Section Pages
Home
Acknowledgments

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Counter Thread to the coots

Aug 19, 2017, 6:32 PM

Nice read man thanks for posting. Be careful with facts & reality though. It's not really accepted in this sensitive society now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2017, 6:53 PM

Well, if it does come to a name change, it's obvious that Clemson's official name would become "THE
University of South Carolina". Name follows function.

Everyone would be better off to leave this stuff in the past

Aug 19, 2017, 8:08 PM

It's 2017, Clemson by all accounts is a diverse school and if you are racist you are ignorant of the facts. We are a human family at Clemson!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where is the link to the web page?***

Aug 20, 2017, 3:14 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where is the link to the web page?***

Aug 20, 2017, 5:32 AM

http://library.sc.edu/digital/slaveryscc/

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, visit this website

Aug 20, 2017, 7:04 AM

This post was just an excerpt; check out the links. SCU campus is covered in glass houses...built by slaves!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow, visit this website

Aug 20, 2017, 7:06 AM

Yep, my point was, the chickens LOVE to claim Clemson is so racist, the campus is full of racist, blah blah blah. Since I'm obviously blocked from the fantasy coot board, maybe they will read it here and shut the health up.

Re: Wow, visit this website

Aug 25, 2017, 2:09 PM

They won't. Cause I posted something just like this a few years ago on FGF cause they kept on and on about clemson being racist. All I got was "we've already discussed this here and that's already been talked about. Old news. Come up with something new blah blah blah." And yet they went on and on. Completely ignoring the fact they are hypocrites. So I gave up.

Christopher Columbus had slaves

Aug 20, 2017, 6:46 AM

I guess USUC will soon be located in Broad River, SC

Re: Christopher Columbus had slaves

Aug 20, 2017, 6:50 AM

The hypocrisy is ridiculous. Sorry about putting it in the football area, oversight. Lol

link for yoy

Aug 20, 2017, 6:57 AM

https://sc.edu/about/centers/digital_humanities/projects/horseshoe.php

By the way, John Drayton, the father of USuCk, was a giant slaveholder

Giant slaves?

Aug 20, 2017, 7:18 AM

Was this guy by chance an NFL owner?

No he worked for ESPN***

Aug 20, 2017, 7:22 AM

Aug 25, 2017, 1:32 PM

All - I'm glad you found the the website we built. There is certainly enough complicated history to go around in South Carolina. If you're interested in more on the project, see the retrospective piece on History@Work:

http://ncph.org/history-at-work/revealing-slaverys-legacy-part-1/

Whoa... TL;DR***

Aug 25, 2017, 2:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

TL:DR Rocks, glass houses***

Aug 25, 2017, 2:43 PM

Re: TL:DR Rocks, glass houses******

Aug 25, 2017, 2:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Replies: 17
| visibility 3,488
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic