Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kent St game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 2,239

Kent St game

Aug 18, 2017, 7:41 AM

We dont have preseason,but we do open with a cupcake so its basically a warm up. My question is: Should the fans help Clemson practice for future away games. There is going to be a more people at the Kent St game than can fit in the pizza box or carter finley. Should we use some offensive drives as practice and the crowd yell like it was third down on the road? Get these guys some experience communicating when you cant hear. We will have a new QB that start his first road game in a very important Louisville game and I think it would be great experience for him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is an intriguing concept

Aug 18, 2017, 8:16 AM

Don't know that it would ever happen, but I love the process of thinking through it. To me, there would need to be at least the following in place:
1. Dabo would have to be the one to promote this.

2. Would have to open the game cheering in the normal fashion.

3. Would need some signal to the crowd that we are now practicing for a road game.

4. Need to do it in a way that doesn't take an opponent for granted. This would be the most difficult and we don't want to add fuel to an opponent's fire. If this were an open strategy (situationally dependent, not opponent dependent), which could be signaled when the coaching staff feels we have things in hand, that might be a great idea.

5. Would need to be communicated to team AND RECRUITS that, when this happens, the boos and noise is actually in support of the home team.

6. The ideal situation would have it be so successful that the idiots in Columbia would jump on board and start heckling their own offense when Clemson plays at WB!

We have won some monster games on the road without ever

Aug 18, 2017, 8:50 AM

having to do this. Why start now? Typically, we just pipe in crowd noise through speakers. I think that is the best way to prep for it anyways. I don't ever see this type of practice in an actual game ever being pulled off.

Re: Kent St game

Aug 18, 2017, 8:59 AM

This is a ridiculous idea. It's a home game for a reason! We'd be the laughing stock across all sports for doing this for an actual game. But good work posting this idea to spice up an August Friday morning.

Re: Kent St game

Aug 18, 2017, 9:49 AM

I dont mean do it the whole game Im talking like 1 or 2 series. That wouldn't make us the laughing stock. If anything it might spark other teams to do the same. I don't want to do it vs Auburn. Im just saying we can throw away a few series vs Kent St and still blow them out.

I'll double down with my support of thinking out of the box

Aug 18, 2017, 12:18 PM

As stated above, I don't think it would ever happen. However, to combat some of the dissenters:

1. We can't logically claim that practice (pumping in crowd noise) is as good as game experience, but also claim that practice can't truly replicate game experience (QB battle threads, etc...).

2. We were a laughing stock across the sports media for putting in a nap room and a slide and nurturing players and dancing in the locker room and being a player's coach and are likely going to get some flack for the whole sleep study thing. Dabo did it anyway, because he was committed to incremental improvement and didn't give a rip about what the media or others thought. The success of these "laughing stock" moves has shut up the scoffers, but Dabo probably tuned them out long ago.

Again -- this won't happen, but the search for the few competitive advantages that are viable requires that hundreds of outside the box ideas are discarded along the way. I suspect that our MBA holding coach, who has broken the mold of coaching, has already spent time thinking of something similar, perhaps discarding that to champion the ridiculous notion of holding preseason college football games!

Replies: 5
| visibility 2,239
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic