Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Auburn has out recruited us each of the last 5 years
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

Auburn has out recruited us each of the last 5 years

Aug 17, 2017, 11:21 AM

according to 247 composite. They might put up a fight.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson has out coached Auburn each of the last 5 years !***

Aug 17, 2017, 11:22 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And out performed them.***

Aug 17, 2017, 7:30 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Auburn has out recruited us each of the last 5 years

Aug 17, 2017, 11:25 AM

And I'll still take every single one of our players over theirs.

Aug 17, 2017, 11:50 AM

Love your post and concern. Of course you are correct to show concern but Dabo recruits in a different way that Auburn. Here is what I mean:

1. Top players with red flags (off-field and academic concerns) are automatically eliminated for consideration. This reduces the pool of top ranked players. However, once recruited our players are successful students, less often in trouble, and we have less distractions caused by disruptive behavior.

2. Clemson recruits players based on need and fit. We base our targets/offers on things like body type and capability to execute at a specific position. We also recruit based on cultural fit, which means players that are humble and willing to put "team" first are only offered. This also reduces the pool but allows Clemson to maintain a culture of best player plays, without large amount of disgruntlement and transfers when playing time is limited.

3. Finally Clemson may be best in nation at developing talent. This means we don't need the most 5 stars recruits but kids like Grady Jarret, Vic Beasley, Hunter Renfrow, etc. are developed in to outstanding players. Therefore number 1 and 2 above are more important than the number of stars by a recruit's name.

Relax and just marvel at what we have here at Clemson. I know I do. Its a great time to be a Tiger. Take it from one that has been around a while (Class of '75), it don't get any better than this. This year's team will prove my point.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2017, 12:39 PM

Auburn Fan here ....

You could literally use those same points for Auburn. Not sure where you guys are getting that we have Red flag guys or character issues. That hasn't been a problem under Gus.

Developing Talent? After the 13 & 14 seasons, our 2 star receiver Sammie Coates was drafted in the 2nd round.

remember this name. Will Hastings (our version of your Renfrow) ... came to AU as a kicker. He has now been developed into a slot receiver. He'll be getting PT over some 4 & 5 star players. Watch for him ... #33.

Just my two cents.

Aug 17, 2017, 12:42 PM

#33 is a crap number for a receiver. Just sayin'. Get that boy a single digit or something.

Aug 17, 2017, 1:23 PM

No doubt .... He was a walk on kicker though ;)

Aug 17, 2017, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburn has out recruited us each of the last 5 years ]

Although I would disagree that Auburn has even close to the standards of Clemson

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Auburn+football+arrest

I would also submit that Dabo also recruits guys who fit the team chemistry. Players that he knows want to be at Clemson not just a path to the NFL. Auburn's recruitment of Juco players and subsequent transfers would point to a lack of team culture.

null

Aug 17, 2017, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburn has out recruited us each of the last 5 years ]

Doesn't auburn have a history of signing guys that have been booted from other programs for character issues?

I can think of 3-4 guys from UGA right off the top of my head, plus some of the JUCO guys you have had as well

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2017, 1:28 PM

2 from UGA. Marshall who played DB and Matthews who is our Starting Sr Safety.
Matthews has been awesome on and off the field. Marshall had a problem with Pot ...
but was really a good dude besides that. Marshall grew up in the dang Hood ... having friends
shot and stuff. It took a while to get the hood out of him. Although he never laid down the pot.
Got suspended from the Jags recently.

I assure you we have ZERO team chemistry problems. There has been one guy that we shouldn't have recruited .... that was 5* JUCO WR Duke Williams in 2014 and 2015 ... Gus eventually kicked him off at team.

We literally on Avg ... sign one to two JUCOs a year ... although I think there was one year recently where we didn't sign any.

You're a top 10 team and so are we

Aug 17, 2017, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburn has out recruited us each of the last 5 years ]

You have a real QB and talented players. I've also seen more than one prognosticator picking you over the Fighting Sabans in the west.

I predict an extremely hard fought physical game with lots of soreness for the players on Sunday. Of course I am predicting a Clemson win led by our "crack" mascot 8 ball.

I think it will come down to the final minutes of not seconds. Rolls are reversed from a few years back when Auburn fans gave Clemson no chance. We are a bit over confident on this board while still basking in the National Championship glow.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All I know is...

Aug 17, 2017, 4:45 PM

W/O Desahun we are gettable.

And Stidham is a very very high level QB.

This game will be a long night with basically the QB situations are reversed from 2016 game where we have no set reliable qb w experience.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2017, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburn has out recruited us each of the last 5 years ]

Adam Humphries and Grady Jarrett are both 2 stars who are still in the NFL. Jaron Brown was not a featured receiver while at Clemson. Vic Beasley came to Clemson as three or four star athlete according to which service you looked at. The list goes on. Point being that Dabo didn't need to have one single #1 recruiting class to beat the multiple #1 classes Saban had. We're not a flash in the pan either. We've sustained a top program for over half a decade. I don't believe there is a better staff developing talent. The NFL really likes our players. All that to say it's gonna be a good game when Auburn comes to town and both teams have the talent to walk away with a win. Hopefully that team will be Clemson and looking at both squads without having seen them play I would say a Clemson win is likely.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2017, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburn has out recruited us each of the last 5 years ]

Perfect example of the culture and not transferring when no playing time is granted would be Tucker Israel. He broke just about every Florida passing record there is. Most of which were held by Tim Tebow, and he had offers from a handful of SEC schools and just about every midsize program you could think of, and yet from what I know he has "accepted his role at Clemson." Which means he probably knows he will never be "the guy" here and is willing to stay and put in the work on the scout team and as a backup. That's big time.

Out recruited and under performed***

Aug 17, 2017, 12:00 PM

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Out recruited and under performed***

Aug 17, 2017, 1:35 PM

I agree with the underperformed ... but our problems mostly come from the QB position.

Since Gus has been at Auburn as HC, we had Nick Marshall ... recruited 4* Jeremy Johnson ... almost had .... this may make some of you mad .... Deshaun Watson ... Part of the reason Watson chose Clemson was due to the hype that JJ was getting at Auburn after only throwing 16 passes against Arkansas. Everyone said JJ will be a Heisman contender. Watson took a secret visit to Auburn and got busted by Swinney ... Swinney, as you know, had the rule that if you're committed and take a visit, your scholly is gone. They patched things up and that was it. But we were truly in the hunt until JJ's "Success". We missed on Watson, Missed on Lamar Jackson .... got Sean White ... WHo I LOVE ... he just can't stay healthy.

As you know our offenses are very similar ... Chad Morris learned from Gus ... so there are still similarities with your offense and ours now. Ya'll have tweaked it, we're tweaking it now with our new OC.

But needless to say .. the QB makes this offense tick .... And in two years without a good/healthy QB
(2015 and 2016) we've struggled. When we have an elite QB, we really look good on O.
Newton and Marshall were elite .... I believe Stidham will be elite as his rankings indicate.

Aug 17, 2017, 2:03 PM

Most of your post have been pretty solid and level headed, but dear God to say that the reason Deshaun didn't go to Auburn becuase he was scared of competition is laughable at best. Clemson had Chad Kelly on campus when Deshaun got here, and despite being a head case and an ego maniac he was a much better player than Johnson.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

yeah, that might be dumber than him saying Bama's D was

Aug 17, 2017, 2:06 PM

better than the #1 ranked D

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2017, 4:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Out recruited and under performed*** ]

Y'all didn't " almost have " DW4 . He gave you a visit , probably out of respect for the traditions and history there ...but Chad Morris had done the hard sell for Clemson with DW4 by the end of his HS sophomore year , and he has stated that he was " All In " with CCM and Clemson from that point .
I remember people freaking out over his Auburn visit after committing to Clemson , but it was obviously not really any reason for comcern .

Good luck in 11 games this year .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 17, 2017, 12:00 PM

By "out recruited" they mean "more recruits". I've said this before but recruiting rankings have a lot to do with how many recruits you get and less to do with the QUALITY. We tend to barely crack the top 10 but we somehow always manage to handle the schools who "out recruited" us. We don't hold as many offers at our disposal due to most of our kids taking academics very seriously and staying 4 or more years therefore holding onto their scholarships longer. For instance this year we have the top 2 players in the country and aren't even in the top 10 of recruiting, don't let recruiting rankings make you think we're not doing better roster wise.

Aug 17, 2017, 12:14 PM

And where's that gotten them in those years, or let's take it back a bit further??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auburn%E2%80%93Clemson_football_rivalry
47 September 18, 2010 Auburn, AL Auburn 27–24
48 September 17, 2011 Clemson, SC Clemson 38–24
49 September 1, 2012 Atlanta, GA Clemson 26–19
50 September 3, 2016 Auburn, AL Clemson 19–13

2010, Clemson (with not many 5 stars at all on the team) takes eventual National Championship Auburn with Cam Newton to OT...if money kicker Chandler Catanzaro hadn't missed a kick, we wouldn't be feeling like NC State does currently after that game...game would have been tied to go into double OT. Clemson was the only team that year to get that close to handing Auburn a loss.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=302610002

2011, 2012, 2016....Clemson has won every one of them.

Aug 17, 2017, 12:44 PM

With all due respect ... those are very fortunate years to play Auburn (aside from 2010). In 2010, btw, we had no idea how good Cam was. Clemson was his coming out party .... and it didn't happen until the 2nd half.

Auburn was TERRIBLE in 2011 & 2012, finally firing Chizik at the end of 2012.
You guys had the fortune of not playing Auburn in 2013 (SECC and NC runner up) and 2014 we stumbled late with some injuries ... but we may have been better in 14. that 2014 offense put up 640 yards against Playoff team Alabama who had the #1 D in the country.
I would feel confident in saying Auburn would've beaten Clemson in 13 & 14.

Aug 17, 2017, 12:57 PM

With same all due respect, understood on 2013....Clemson was hit or miss that year.

Only reason though Auburn would in 2014 is because of an injury to a certain Deshaun Watson (who only lost 1 game he started that year...the game he didn't finish or make to half time). Him in the game, a eventual 5 loss Auburn would not have beat Clemson.

Aug 17, 2017, 1:38 PM

While Clemson was hit or miss .... Auburn won the SEC and was 13 seconds away from their 2nd NC in 4 years. Auburn wins in 13 .... toss up 14.

You were also 13 seconds from losing to UGA and Alabama***

Aug 17, 2017, 1:55 PM

Re: You were also 13 seconds from losing to UGA and Alabama***

Aug 17, 2017, 2:35 PM

The same UGA we also beat that year, first game. Hit and miss because we later flop vs the same Fl State they played in the Natty, while we went on to beat OH State. That year, drowned which team showed up for Clemson. Hit or miss basically...not a year I'd be confident saying we'd have won. 14 though, if with Watson, not a toss up...considering Clemson that year also had the statistical #1 D. It was the O with Stoudt that made them shaky....with Watson, Auburn would have lost.

Auburn would have picked up their 6th loss in 2014 if we had

Aug 17, 2017, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburn has out recruited us each of the last 5 years ]

played...Y'all were a 5 loss team, you wouldn't have beaten us

Re: Auburn would have picked up their 6th loss in 2014 if we had

Aug 17, 2017, 1:37 PM

We were ranked #3 early ... before injuries. We lost all those games late in 14.
Again ... still put up 640 on Bama ... I would say there D was better than ya'll in 14.

why don't you look up who had the #1 Defense in 2014 and

Aug 17, 2017, 1:48 PM

get back to me...After your Crow lunch

No offense, but y'all lost to a B1G team in a bowl, you

Aug 17, 2017, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburn would have picked up their 6th loss in 2014 if we had ]

would NOT have beaten us...You lost 4 of your last 5...Thank God for Samford huh?

Aug 17, 2017, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburn would have picked up their 6th loss in 2014 if we had ]

You mean the year we finished overall number one defense? Please do tell how someone can be better than number one? Were they the number zero overall defense? I gots the confrused....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2017, 2:28 PM

@auburnfan I'm still patiently awaiting your response and I need to go take my afternoon nap soon so Godspeed please...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2017, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburn would have picked up their 6th loss in 2014 if we had ]

I wouldn't, nor would this:
http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

Aug 17, 2017, 2:56 PM

or this:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef2014

How many of those does Auburn still have ?

Aug 17, 2017, 12:16 PM

Clemson is probably number one over all when you factor in star average,number of recruits signed and number of recruits that are still in school after a year or 2.

Re: How many of those does Auburn still have ?

Aug 17, 2017, 12:34 PM

> Clemson is probably number one over all when you
> factor in star average,number of recruits signed and
> number of recruits that are still in school after a
> year or 2.

Yup. One thing they really need to pay attention to is: not just who signed who...but what actually showed up - as in, qualified - and what do you still have after 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, etc....

Some teams are just dismal in terms of turnover. Butch Jones and Tennessee? Lordy. They've "outrecruited" us on paper for years as well, but they have something like the square root of our talent mostly because they never actually keep any of it and they lose guys to the NCAA Clearinghouse every year on top of that.

Aug 17, 2017, 12:47 PM

In 5 recruiting cycles, only one player from Auburn has failed to qualify.

how many transferred out?***

Aug 17, 2017, 12:50 PM

Re: how many transferred out?***

Aug 17, 2017, 12:53 PM

Over 5 years???
Hard to keep up .... maybe a handful? & Duke WIlliams was kicked off.

We haven't had a guy transfer that was a 1st or 2nd team player.
The ones that transferred did so do to lack of playing time (happens everywhere)

Re: how many transferred out?***

Aug 17, 2017, 12:55 PM

*due

10 since the end of 2016...try to keep up***

Aug 17, 2017, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Re: how many transferred out?*** ]

Is counting hard for you? If you need to go over 10, you

Aug 17, 2017, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: how many transferred out?*** ]

might need to take off a shoe...or two

Aug 17, 2017, 12:36 PM [ in reply to How many of those does Auburn still have ? ]

In the 2016 NC game, Alabama started 12 5 star players and Clemson started 2.

Aug 17, 2017, 12:51 PM [ in reply to How many of those does Auburn still have ? ]

Auburn has had minimal departures. One "good" one in Irvin who was recruited to play the Star position under our old DC .... transferred out because he knew he was a tweener Safety/CB.

Auburn still has four 5* DL, 1 5*LB and about 20+ 4 stars on D

On offense, 1 5* QB, 2 5*OL and 2 5*WRs another 20+ 4 stars.

Didn't JFIII transfer this week?***

Aug 17, 2017, 12:53 PM

Re: Didn't JFIII transfer this week?***

Aug 17, 2017, 12:56 PM

yes ... due to playing time .... he was at best 3rd string WR
and 2nd string KOR

At FAU, he may crack the 2 deep at WR

I included him in my header "Minimal transfers" post.

Auburn Transfers

Aug 17, 2017, 1:18 PM

"Franklin is the tenth Auburn player and third graduate to transfer since the end of the 2016 season. He joins wide receiver Stanton Truitt (North Carolina), offensive lineman Deon Mix (Houston), Buck/linebacker Cameron Toney and safety Markell Boston, who was dismissed, (UT-Chattanooga), quarterbacks Tyler Queen (West Georgia) and Woody Barrett (Copiah-Lincoln C.C.), defensive tackle Antwuan Jackson Jr. (Blinn C.C.) and defensive backs Marlon Character (Northwest Mississippi C.C.) and Michael Sherwood (Arkansas Tech)."

Seems like AU always signs a big class, then runs a lot of players off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Auburn Transfers

Aug 17, 2017, 1:44 PM

Ha Ha .... again ..... This is not Auburn pushing player out ... this is their decision to transfer due to playing time .... if this helps:

Going into Spring 17:

Franklin - 3rd sting WR
Truitt - 4th string RB
Mix - I wouldn't even say 3rd string
Toney - 3rd string Mike LB
Boston - 3rd String Strong Safety
Queen - 4th string QB behind Stidahm White Willis
Barrett - 5th string QB behind Stidham White WIllis Queen
Sherwood - Walk on DB never would've played

Jackson and Character were 4 star freshman. I don't know about these two .. because it was so early,
so I'm not going to say playing time. they Definitely wouldn't have been on the 2 deep ... but they might've gotten better and played later in their career. SO these are the only two that I'd say I wasn't sure on.

Aug 17, 2017, 3:46 PM

suggest you reread my original post. I didn't mean to refer to Auburn but you took it that way. Nevertheless you just made all my points with these facts.

Aug 17, 2017, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Auburn Transfers ]

btw, we don't run players off. We are actually under the 85 limit so will probably reward a walk on or two a scholly.

When you run people off .... you're trying to get to 85 ... that's not the case at Auburn ... never has been.

Aug 17, 2017, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Auburn Transfers ]

Also, I didn't see where that came from .... but it looks like something al.com would write.
If so .... that's the Birmingahm Bama Propaganda machine. I could show you articles where they
blast AU for recruiting a certain player ... then said player commits to bama and the article is all sunshine pumping.

You would think that you would at least give an indication that those players are transferring for better opportunities of PT .... but they make it out like we're cutting them.

Was it al.com?

Re: Auburn Transfers***

Aug 17, 2017, 3:14 PM

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic