Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson preview is up
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Clemson preview is up

Jul 27, 2017, 8:58 AM

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/7/27/16014584/clemson-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson preview is up

Jul 27, 2017, 9:11 AM

What exactly does this mean: "2016 record and S&P+ ranking: 14-1 (second)"? Second in a row or #2? Uhm.

And, Dabo is totally breaking 100 Wins this season!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It means we finished 2nd overall behind Bama in the S&P+

Jul 27, 2017, 9:18 AM

over the course of the entire 15 game season. I wouldn't read much into it. Bama was the best team during the 13 game regular season last year, but we were the best team at the end when it mattered.

Standard and Poor's? So we beat Alabama for the

Jul 27, 2017, 9:28 AM

national championship, but they were still number 1 LOL

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Standard and Poor's? So we beat Alabama for the

Jul 27, 2017, 9:36 AM

And played a tough schedule. B$!

Yes and if you have a fundamental issue with that you should

Jul 27, 2017, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Standard and Poor's? So we beat Alabama for the ]

avoid all of Connelly's work along with all advanced stats and advanced statistical models. It's not for everyone.

Another example

Jul 27, 2017, 9:55 AM

http://kenpom.com/

UNC beat Gonzaga for the national title last year, yet still finished behind the Zags (and Villanova) in Ken Pomeroy's very highly regarded CBB ratings.

Bama clearly had the better

Jul 27, 2017, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson preview is up ]

Quality loss.

Don't you remember last year when our only loss was to Alabama and all those people said we were really number 1???

Yeah me neither.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really i think it just boils down to us having the highest

Jul 27, 2017, 1:57 PM

ceiling of any team in the country, but Bama playing more consistently over the majority of the season. We were the best team in the country down the stretch, but we struggled to reach our potential in many games over the first 2/3 of the season.

Prior to losing to us in the championship game, Bama basically had 1 close game all year, and even that game wasn't really in doubt at the end. I think Ole Miss had a sequence of TD > successful onside kick > TD just to make the final score look close. Bama won every other game by at least 10, and most by quite a bit more than that.

Re: Really i think it just boils down to us having the highest

Jul 27, 2017, 2:00 PM

Our 1 loss was in the final third of the season.

AND none of that matters.

Pitt was the 10th game out of 15***

Jul 27, 2017, 2:23 PM

Jul 27, 2017, 9:11 AM

"With star quarterback Deshaun Watson, he became only the third coach not named Nick Saban or Urban Meyer to win a national title since 2008."

Chizik at AU with Cam Newton in 2010?

Is "retooling" considered "reloading" or "rebuilding". I have the confuse with some of their terms.

Much closer to reloading i believe***

Jul 27, 2017, 9:19 AM

Jul 27, 2017, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson preview is up ]

Third coach "not" named Meyer or Saban. Meaning Chizik, Fisher, and Swinney are the three.

Jul 27, 2017, 9:44 AM

However, Chizik is not a head coach, unless that changed without my knowing.

Urban Meyer has won 1 NC since 2008***

Jul 27, 2017, 9:46 AM

Jul 27, 2017, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson preview is up ]

He was when they won.

Jul 27, 2017, 9:13 AM

Good read , sounds about right to me.
It's not rocket science if we have good QB play the sky is the limit.
Even with AVG QB play our D will keep us in every game and give the Tigers the chance to steal the game.
If we Beat Auburn, I believe this team will be a contender.

Jul 27, 2017, 9:21 AM

"If Clemson is 5-0 heading into October, look out" ;)

Good read. Thanks

Jul 27, 2017, 9:47 AM
IMG_8363.JPG(124.9 K)

Thanks for sharing! +1

THIS... about our returning defense:
"This year they don’t lose that many pieces. That should terrify every opponent." ??

Message was edited by: Orangapril2®

Jul 27, 2017, 10:14 AM

I love Bill Connelly's work. For those who don't understand his rankings, they are statistical/quantitative only.

He's not saying Clemson should have finished the season ranked #2.

He's saying based upon his statistics/ANALYTICS, we were #2. So, in theory, we overachieved by beating the #1 S&P team, Alabama.

Lastly, lots of folks who bet on games (I don't, never have) use his work to find strengths and weaknesses of teams.

GO TIGERS!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2017, 12:02 PM

Can someone please explain how to read the offense and defense radars. Just when I think I've got it, I don't. :(

The perfect offense/defense would look like a beach ball

Jul 27, 2017, 12:38 PM

Far from the center = good, close to the center = bad.

If you look at our offensive radar, our success rate, sack rate, and completion % were all really good, but our yards per completion was bad. We were good at generating 20 yard passes, but really bad at hitting 30+ yard passes.

Overall, our offense was incredibly efficient, but not very explosive which is the thing that probably worries me the most heading into 2017 without Watson. We didn't score on a lot of big plays last year. We were really good at staying ahead of the chains, getting into manageable 3rd down situations, and then DW4 was amazingly good at converting those 3rd downs. Despite our tempo, we were a very methodical offense, not one that would frequently score on huge plays. And that's a bit worrisome because counting on an inexperienced QB to methodically drive a team down the field and convert on a bunch of 3rd downs isn't typically a recipe for success.

If Bryant is the guy I'm hopeful that we can hit on some explosive plays in the running game with him and Feaster. Watson and Gallman were great players, but neither were explosive runners. Gallman was tough and very steady, but very rarely ripped off 20-30+ yard runs. Feaster absolutely can if he gets into space, and Bryant almost certainly can as well.

Cain and McCloud both have home run potential as well - likely more so than Williams and Scott.

Jul 27, 2017, 12:57 PM

Really good read. Makes you feel that we could have a great year and even if only a good year we're still set up for a great run in 2018 and beyond.

Even experienced offenses will be rusty at the outset. I think our D can buy us some wins even without a stellar offense - as long as we're not stupid.

I recently re-watched most of our 2016 games and we had more dumb turnovers early in the season that later. Cure that and our D will get us early wins while the O gets their sea legs and we settle on a QB this year.

Great read. Thanks for posting it!***

Jul 28, 2017, 9:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Jul 28, 2017, 10:15 PM

Good read. I enjoyed the analytics.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic