Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why did Tommy Bowden never get another job ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 5,144

Why did Tommy Bowden never get another job ?

Jul 26, 2017, 12:46 PM

Tommy West got on with Memphis
Ken Hatfield got on with Rice

Didn't he interview with someone while at Clemson ? I can't remember the school.

He should have drawn some interest from some school. Isn't his all-time record above 0.500 ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To be honest I don't think he enjoyed being a head coach and

Jul 26, 2017, 12:49 PM

He didn't need the money.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To be honest I don't think he enjoyed being a head coach and

Jul 26, 2017, 7:58 PM

Any one interested in a good coach looked at his record the last couple years at Clemson and ran away as fast as possible. They also looked at him watching us get beat by a very inferior team the last game he coached.Dear in headlights look

Re: Why did Tommy Bowden never get another job ?

Jul 26, 2017, 12:51 PM

I think part of it is his get up and go got up and left. After a few years he started having more and more opportunities to travel speaking and doing ministry. That took precedence for him over time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2017, 12:54 PM

Clemson was paying him to stay at home.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tommy was a good recruiter and he got the ball rolling

Jul 26, 2017, 12:54 PM

on facility improvements.

Unfortunately, his coaching style is what led to the invention of the word "Clemsoning" By the time he was done here, everyone could see that.

He did interview with Arkansas - after the 2007 season I think. They didn't offer him a job but he played the situation well enough to get a pretty good raise and a much larger buyout from our AD. I wanted them to call his bluff at the time but, in hindsight, we're probably better off with things playing out the way they did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Speaking of TB, came across this ... pretty funny

Jul 26, 2017, 12:55 PM

check out the pic too

https://www.seccountry.com/south-carolina/former-clemson-hc-tommy-bowden-admits-he-stole-signals-from-former-south-carolina-dc-charlie-strong

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2017, 12:57 PM

Because he was clueless on what needed to be done. Arky dodged a bullet. Well, at least that particular one. Lol

Jul 26, 2017, 4:18 PM

To whoever TDed me.

He was lost after RR, beyond hiring Dabo as a WR coach and the facility upgrades.

Show me otherwise.

None of those other guys called Nick Saban after an

Jul 26, 2017, 12:59 PM

a$$whippin' and asked him what he saw?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2017, 1:01 PM

He did get another job.... the ACC network.

Because the other two were real coaches who worked to get

Jul 26, 2017, 1:01 PM

where they were and Tommy just lived off his name?

Re: Because the other two were real coaches who worked to get

Jul 26, 2017, 1:28 PM

I guess Rodriguez didn't want to leave his job to help TB get another one!

Most other schools wouldn't put up with his arrogance. I wouldn't play one down if he was the coach.

Best decision ever made at Clemson. Glad Dabo was ready and able.

I guess the truth bothered somebody...I'd like to hear THEIR

Jul 26, 2017, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Because the other two were real coaches who worked to get ]

take on why nobody offered Tommy a job after he got fired, but I doubt the coward will respond

Crickets

Jul 26, 2017, 9:59 PM

Guess the coward will td me, too

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Wasn't good enough to get another P5 job and he probably

Jul 26, 2017, 1:31 PM

didn't want to coach a G5 program when he was already getting paid much more than that by clemson.

Because he was a really bad coach***

Jul 26, 2017, 1:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, he was not a "really bad coach" ...

Jul 26, 2017, 1:48 PM

he rarely lost to SCar. He lost some games he should have won, but he won some major games (#3 FSU in 2003 plus beat #7 UTenn in the Peach Bowl). He also gave us 63-17.

But, he was asked to resign (fired) for the inexcusable lost to WFU and not being able to get us into ACC Championship game.

No, he was NOT "a really bad coach."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Yeah, he was.***

Jul 26, 2017, 1:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was very insightful ... you've convinced me.

Jul 26, 2017, 2:31 PM

SMH

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

He wasn't a really bad coach overall, but he was a really

Jul 26, 2017, 2:24 PM [ in reply to No, he was not a "really bad coach" ... ]

bad game coach and a below average coach overall. That shouldn't cut it at a football school capable of finding someone better.

It's not like it was 1 inexcusable loss to Wake Forest. He also got blown out at Wake Forest in 2003, lost to a 2-9 Duke team in 2004, blew the division title at home against a really mediocre Maryland team in 2006, etc.

Not to mention the horrible blow out losses we suffered during his tenure. 54-7 at FSU in 2000 with one of his best Clemson teams, the 38-3 UNC debacle in 01, the embarrassing 38-6 loss to NC State on a TH night in 2002, the 55-15 Texas Tech humiliation later that year, the 30-0 laugher against UGA to open 2003, the aforementioned 45-17 debacle at Wake Forest, the 1-4 start in 04 that included 3 straight 19+ point losses, the terrible 41-23 performance at home against VT in 07 when Tommy had a good team, and of course the 34-10 blowout against Bama in Atlanta to open his swansong campaign. I'm also omitting 6 other 17+ point losses, but i had to draw the line somewhere or this post would've gone on forever.

And beating SC back then was nice and all but they sucked almost every year he was at Clemson. They had two good teams (00 and 01) and he was "The Catch" away from going 0-2 against those teams. By the time Spurrier turned SC around Bowden was gone. He beat SC teams that went 0-11, 8-4, 5-7, 5-7, 6-5, 7-5, and 6-6.

Re: He wasn't a really bad coach overall, but he was a really

Jul 26, 2017, 10:04 PM

BEWM!!!

Re: He wasn't a really bad coach overall, but he was a really

Jul 26, 2017, 11:28 PM [ in reply to He wasn't a really bad coach overall, but he was a really ]

Thank you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, he was not a "really bad coach" ...

Jul 26, 2017, 8:38 PM [ in reply to No, he was not a "really bad coach" ... ]

Yes he was a terrible coach. That you Stuart?

Pretty sure you said the same about Dabo in the not too

Jul 26, 2017, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Because he was a really bad coach*** ]

distant past.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was slightly above average ... we've had "really bad" and

Jul 26, 2017, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Because he was a really bad coach*** ]

and Tommy Bowden was *not* really bad. Hootie Ingram was really bad.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

didnt he interview for Syracuse?***

Jul 26, 2017, 1:49 PM

Prolly, thought that he couldn't get a better job***

Jul 26, 2017, 1:58 PM

My guess (and that's all it is) is that it isn't in his blood.

Jul 26, 2017, 2:34 PM

I think Bowden got into the "business" because his whole family was in it. I don't think he "needs" to coach like some of these people do. Maybe he just didn't have it in him to do everything he would need to be successful.

I don't think for a second that he couldn't get another "good" job. He did a TON of good things at Clemson and ran a clean program. He would have been an upgrade for at least half of the schools out there in my opinion.

null

I can go with that, too

Jul 26, 2017, 10:07 PM

+1

My guess (and that's all it is) is that it isn't in his blood.

Jul 26, 2017, 2:34 PM

I think Bowden got into the "business" because his whole family was in it. I don't think he "needs" to coach like some of these people do. Maybe he just didn't have it in him to do everything he would need to be successful.

I don't think for a second that he couldn't get another "good" job. He did a TON of good things at Clemson and ran a clean program. He would have been an upgrade for at least half of the schools out there in my opinion.

null

Because I gave him a bad reference.***

Jul 26, 2017, 5:02 PM

Anybody who watched him for the last few years would

Jul 26, 2017, 9:42 PM

notice that he was not really into coaching.

Jul 27, 2017, 7:34 AM

That awful term "######ing" should have been called "Tommy Bowdening." No other school wanted to have their name with "ing" added to the end of it because of his coaching.

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Jul 27, 2017, 7:36 AM

I hated it when CLEMSON hired him, complained about him the entire time he was here, and celebrated when he was fired. Good riddance IMO. Any team that would like to be in the Top 25 should never consider him as a HC. He could coach at USUC when WM is fired in a few years.

Tommy is a successful guy, not a successful football coach

Jul 27, 2017, 7:47 AM

I don't think football was a passion for him, it was just the family business. If the family business would have been in running auto repair shops, he would have been very successful in that.

He "retired" from the family business with enough money to live like he wanted to live, and moved on to a second career.

Replies: 35
| visibility 5,144
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic