Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TV set-up for tailgates
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

TV set-up for tailgates

Jul 22, 2017, 11:49 AM

After years of nomadic wandering from one neighbor's tailgate to another to watch their tvs to see games/check scores, I'm finally going to bring our own. I've done a little research, but unfortunately I'm not very well-versed on all that I need and what the best options are. For those of y'all that have it figured out, I'd appreciate any help y'all could provide or any links to information that tells me all I need to know. Thanks in advance.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TV set-up for tailgates

Jul 22, 2017, 12:07 PM

My setup is fairly elementary, but cheap. I only use a single 32" TV and place it inside the back of a Jeep.

For power, I only use a small inverter which plugs into the vehicle cigarette lighter. Since I use a small TV, it doesn't consume a lot of power, so I don't worry about the battery - just start the engine every 2 hours and let it idle for 15 minutes or so.

I use an OTA antenna (Leaf) which will pull in local network broadcasts (ABC, NBC and CBS). For WATCHESPN I use an adapter from my iphone to the TV. The only issues are the need to change inputs on the TV from antenna to HDMI to switch games and data usage on the phone - not a big deal to me.

You can get a lot fancier and better setups if you like - with generators and satellite dishes, etc., but mine usually suits my purpose.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2017, 12:43 PM

I haven't been able to do this in a few years but this is what you need on the simple side. There may be a few techno tweaks (phones/laptops and streaming which can get choppy if you don't have satellite tv at home) since then but this all you need to have your own TV.
Of course, satellite receiver and satellite dish. You can get a dish off of eBay for little of nothing..and a ground stand..some type of mounting obviously. Ground stands are cheap. Buy some tent stakes to anchor the dish to the ground. Invariably a football with a 6 yr old will come it's way but at least it helps you with the wind. Do not put it next to a beer cooler, it will get run over. Where you need to put it depends on where u are. We were in Lot 2 next to North deck close to the tree line toward Littlejohn so we had to be creative at times. If you have clear line of site, you can look where others have theirs aimed. 1 of us would move the dish while the other watched the signal strength on TV. There are meters you can buy buy but we rarely had an issue in many years of doing it so never needed one.

For power--don't know how strict they are these days

Most ideal is an ultra quiet generator like a Honda or you can get a couple of **DEEP CYCLE** marine batteries and a battery charger...not a regular car battery. You will also need a power inverter with this route-fairly cheap. Get one rated for at least 1250 watss-adjust size for what you plan on running. Get a nice one. When you are not using it for tailgating, you can plug into your vehicle power port and hook it up in the car--charge a laptop if you need, etc. We used 2 deep cycle batteries and never crashed--they were getting very picky about generators a couple of times-not that it seemed to slow anyone down- but the batteries are your best non generator route. Some people ran them off their truck battery---don't, unless you like not having your vehicle start...did I mention TV probably guessed that one. DON'T forget your remote. Believe me it has happened so make yourself a checklist of all that you need to take. You will need a long coaxial cable to hook the dish to the receiver. You will need some extension cords an a multi-outlet strip. I don't trust generator power no matter how clean they say it is so I would use a fairly nice sure protector.

If you get a generator, you may want to get one that's a step up from the 1000 watt...then you can run a couple of fans when it so freaking hot--always loved the fans for noon kickoff and 90 degree days next to big lake for humidity.

So

Dish
Stand
Receiver
Cables

Surge protector

TV - unless you plan on pulling a mobile home you can stay fairly cheap...remember you're banging
it around, it may get rained on, guests with a few too many beers, cheese dip etc.

Generator or Batteries with power inverter

Stakes or a means to secure the Dish well

Tools to put the dish together--if not in your mobile home

REMOTE(S)--and keep some extra batteries for them.

Also be sure to have some way to shade the screen--sun is not always your friend when viewing

Some of that may sound like insulting overkill but it's the simple and obvious stuff you have to watch out for.

Hope that helps..It's really nice having your own. Good luck!

Message was edited by: Watcher®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should be a permanent frequently asked question.***

Jul 22, 2017, 1:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 22, 2017, 3:09 PM

After playing around a few years do this:

Tailgater by Dish Network. Automatically searches for signal. No contracts. Pay Dish for
Months you use it. I do take the box into a satellite store and let them sync updates b4 football season.

TV

Power supply.

Simple hook up and watching tv in 5-10 minutes.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic