Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Could Christian Wilkins & Dexter Lawerence be #1 picks?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 2,287

Could Christian Wilkins & Dexter Lawerence be #1 picks?

Jun 24, 2017, 10:20 PM

I'm not too familiar with who the top players are, just wondering if it's a possibility.

Go Tigers!

???

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dex has already been mentioned as the #1 pick.

Jun 24, 2017, 10:26 PM

Christian would have to have a dominant year to be a #1 pick as a typical sized DT. Dex has the advantage of being a rare breed of jumbo DT. He is already in the top 3 of all defenders in college football as a sophomore. I'd say top 5-8 of all players. And not all of those will translate to the NFL (Jame Lackson).

Dexter would be the #1 DT and maybe #1 defender in basically any class. You can't teach size and athleticism. He has the ability to wreck any offensive game plan. Just ask GT and FSU about it.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Dex has already been mentioned as the #1 pick.

Jun 24, 2017, 10:32 PM

Good points.

Personally i would like to see what CW could do at 340-50lbs playing. I think he'd be an absolute mauler. Not that he's not unreal already, i just think he'd be fine playing in the middle at that size.

Jmo

Go Tigers!

???

I think maybe Dex. I bet a QB goes first next year though.

Jun 24, 2017, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Dex has already been mentioned as the #1 pick. ]

Sam Darnold maybe.

Re: Could Christian Wilkins & Dexter Lawerence be #1 picks?

Jun 24, 2017, 10:29 PM

No not a chance DTs are not as valued in the league as D ends

There are exceptions.

Jun 24, 2017, 10:42 PM

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/nfl-coach-no-1-overall-pick-2019-draft-gonna-dexter-lawrence/

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/dexter-lawrence-clemson-tigers-college-football-playoff-dabo-swinney-123016

Re: There are exceptions.

Jun 24, 2017, 11:17 PM

That would be great but without looking it up I doubt there are many DTs that have gone #1 overall.

It has happened maybe a half dozen times only.

Jun 25, 2017, 11:08 AM

This could be another. Last time I recall was Wilkenson to the Bengals. Maybe Russel Maryland? It can happen depending on a teams QB situation or OT situation and who is available..

You nailed it

Jun 25, 2017, 12:56 PM

Wilkinson was the last DT drafted #1 overall. Interesting to look at the trends over time. 3 DTs picked #1 from '91-94, but those are the only 3 in history. I think it's possible but unlikely for both (Dex with shear size/strength, Wilkins with talent and versatility that is hard to find). I expect both to be top 5 picks, top 10 at worst unless something drastic happens (injury/production problems).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_overall_National_Football_League_draft_picks

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 24, 2017, 10:47 PM

Christian would definitely give em da bisniss

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 24, 2017, 10:50 PM

Also, who wins a race between them?

Jun 24, 2017, 11:30 PM

Hey, I don't know about the race, that would be something to see.

Dexter is on the path to being an all time great in college as a DT. He is a rare breed of man, most young men of his weight don't move as fast as he does. I could say the same for Wilkins, but specifically Dexter with height and weight. Seems though, as in case of Beasley for example, that DE's could be the next "highest" first round pick. Meaning, if Ferrell continues to play the way he has, and develop he will go as high as Beasley did if not higher IMO.
I'm a Beasley fan, obviously, however Ferrell has him in height by 3 inches, weight by 40lbs and length. Similarities, high motor, relentless and can get after the QB. In the League, the two highest players seem to be the QB, and the man who get's after him. Therefore being the two most sought after draft picks. Overall though, all these guys on this line will be first and early second rounders'.

Jun 24, 2017, 11:57 PM

Dex has a good shot at it. Wilkins maybe not but will definitely be a top 10 pick.

Wilkins has NFL size and freakish moves. He moves like a small guy at 330. I think he will be an immediate starter in the NFL.

Dex on the other hand is the perfect NFL DT. He had NFL strength before he even got to Clemson. He is absolutely enormous in height and weight and still moves very well. He will likely get to his NFL team and be the best on the DL day one. He will have to learn a playbook like any other player but most of his plays will be use the titan body of yours to make that QB uncomfortable.

Both of them are amazing team players too.

In reality the #1 pick has a lot to do with what team is picking. It's not always the best available player.

My money says DL goes #1

Jun 25, 2017, 12:46 AM

If Dex stays healthy there isn't team in the NFL that would pass on him. It's hard to believe but he is only 19 years old! At 6'5 340+, a motor that doesn't stop. He DEMANDS double teams, is as good a 300+ lb pass rushing DT, as you'll ever see, runs guys down in the backfield, rag dolls guys on the interior, Dex is destined for greatness. I really wish they would have unretired 66 and put it on him. When I see him play its just un-freaking real that a man that size can move like that.

As for Christian Wilkins, I think with a really strong year, going back inside, he is going to put his name in contention for that #1 pick. I hate to say this but moving outside last season, I think he got overshadowed in a sense. He was a beast in his own right, but we had Watkins that put up good numbers inside, DL was a phenom and we had Ferrell breaking out. He was a force on the outside for sure, showed his athleticism and versatility. If I had to call it I'd say he'll go #3-5 and the #1 DT in the draft.

Call my glasses orange tinted but we have the 2 best DT's in the Nation. Not just as a tandem, but individually as well and I dont think it's close.

Message was edited by: clemson man7®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My money says DL goes #1

Jun 25, 2017, 6:47 AM

I can't envision how last year hurt Wilkins in the least. He displayed the intelligence and maturity to commit to a new position and utilize his athleticism in ways folks wouldn't have seen had he been exclusively a DT. Teams will salivate over his abilities, both physical and mental. He and Dex are cut from similar fabric, freakish abilities in super-sized bodies.

They will both, however, get the DW4 analyst bad-mouthing in the run-up to draft day, though. Especially the know-nothing goons at the Entertainment and Sports Network showing drone races! I guess that replaces Aussie Rules Football or lumberjack competitions. And don't get me started on the video game tourneys...or lame ESPY awards.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2017, 8:00 AM

Rashan Gary will be first pick in draft ahead of Dexter-oops, he chose the wrong coaching staff- take that back!!!

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Dex won't be #1 overall

Jun 25, 2017, 11:17 AM

Since Bentley may be in that draft and would obviously take the top spot

Unrelated: autocorrect changed Dex to Sexy at first

Jun 25, 2017, 12:45 PM

That is a difficult one. As mentioned already, DT's going #1 is pretty rare. Likewise, it being need based drives the train. Some team like sayyyyyy, the Bears will need a QB, or a DE, etc. That's what makes the Coot claims so dumb about the Clown and Rogers, sometimes it's just blind luck. I look at it like this, how many #1 overall had great careers. Some to be sure, but how many went at say 10-32 and went to decent teams that actually game them a decent to to support them. I like this odds!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 2,287
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic