Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Packed out fighting fire in the lowcountry during the summer is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 2,130

Packed out fighting fire in the lowcountry during the summer is

Jun 23, 2017, 12:17 PM

One of the greatest challenges I've faced in life. Of course, donning 55 pounds of thermal insulated gear, when the heat index is well over 100° takes a toll, as well as, heavy lifting and pulling loaded hose lines, with a sense of urgency. And then there's the adrenaline, which can be your best friend and worse enemy, and the stress of executing your tasks properly to avoid putting yourself and others in danger. A firefighter down due to heat exhaustion or dehydration, sets off a chain of events that can cost someone else their life in an attempt to save you. Yes, the incident Commander should exercise good judgement, but just try and stop my brothers and sisters from putting it all on the line. Pacing yourself, staying calm, and knowing your own body are essential to preforming in this line of work.

Obviously, being able to cool your body is necessary in order to work safely and stay productive; keeping in mind that overhaul, clean up, and loading the rigs can take hours. If you can believe it, some of my most taxing emergency scenes have been during extrication and air lifting patients, as the blacktop radiates heat. As we strip down and guzzle water, drenched in sweat, the unyielding humidity is suffocating. When sweat can not evaporate, it's smothering. So thick that you can see it, breathing is also effected. You can't get away from it. The only remedy? Push through and get back into an air conditioned environment. Don't tell me about the heat in the South..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You whiffed on the important things. How was your cell phone service?

Jun 23, 2017, 12:24 PM

Did you have to hustle and bustle? How was the humidity inside your suit? Tia

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I meant to tu you but I think I fat fingered td!

Jun 23, 2017, 12:25 PM

I suck and I will thumb up anything you write again until my conscience is cleared.

Re: I meant to tu you but I think I fat fingered td!

Jun 23, 2017, 12:27 PM

I took it that you side with the dry heat crowd..

I think I missed most of those posts. I will never choose to live somewhere

Jun 23, 2017, 12:28 PM

Without humidity again.

I have no idea what this has to do with Clemson Football but

Jun 23, 2017, 12:29 PM

TU anyway. Not a job I want.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: I have no idea what this has to do with Clemson Football but

Jun 23, 2017, 12:30 PM

I was unable to participate in yesterday humidity debate. Always late to the party..

Motivator please ....you call that a fire ?

Jun 23, 2017, 12:33 PM

I put out volcanoes in utah

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Amusing story--

Jun 23, 2017, 12:34 PM

Several years ago, at the wifely's company Christmas party, met a lady with Boeing who was with their team that came down early to help get the new manufacturing facility in Charleston up and running. She'd been with Boeing all her employed life and was probably in her late 40's/early 50's

At some point during the evening's conversation, I inquired if she was looking forward to her first Lowcountry summer. She replied that they had plenty of humidity in Seattle and that she and the other company newcomers weren't terribly concerned. I simply smiled and said, "Well, good luck in August!"

We haven't heard or seen anything from her since....:~)

and ya know.....a summer in Charleston will make one wonder how those earliest settlers in the area survived before air conditioning when their clothing was made primarily of wool (before cotton became such a huge commodity---and heck, even after that!)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Amusing story--

Jun 23, 2017, 12:41 PM

Haha, I bet. I've been to Hood River Oregon and there's no comparison. Temps reached the nineties, but all one needs is to find shade for a reprieve.

Are you trying to say that mountains are flammable?

Jun 23, 2017, 12:41 PM

TIA

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Are you trying to say that mountains are flammable?

Jun 23, 2017, 12:42 PM

^^^needs no introduction

Careful handling those loaded hoses***

Jun 23, 2017, 12:44 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: Careful handling those loaded hoses***

Jun 23, 2017, 12:48 PM

Allot of built up pressure can be difficult to control. The large diameter are hard to bend..

Re: Careful handling those loaded hoses***

Jun 23, 2017, 1:22 PM

After 4 hrs of not deflating, seek medical attention...according to the commercials.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How dare you say that to a firefighter.

Jun 23, 2017, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Careful handling those loaded hoses*** ]

They are professional and have been trained to deal with anybody's big hose.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there's been a raging fire here for a few days

Jun 23, 2017, 1:18 PM

It's very close to Brian Head resort. It hasn't rained here in like 2 months. You can see the smoke billowing over the mountains from the fire. It's apparently a near disaster. People's cabins are being burned down etc

Re: there's been a raging fire here for a few days

Jun 23, 2017, 1:59 PM

Wildland firefighting is an entirely different creature than structural. I have the utmost respect for the job they do. Always sad to hear about folks that watch the eminent fire spread take their homes.

Re: Packed out fighting fire in the lowcountry during the summer is

Jun 23, 2017, 1:40 PM

While a CLEMSON student I spent a summer doing an internship in Hell Hole Swamp at McClellensville with the US Forest Service. Don't tell me anything about heat, humidity, rattlesnakes or mosquitos because I can top it! I spent many,many hours in that swamp alone for $117.76 every two weeks. What a life. If you ain't tough you better find another job!

why would someone TD this post?***

Jun 23, 2017, 7:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 2,130
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic