Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recruiting question. If we offer a kid, and he commits on
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Recruiting question. If we offer a kid, and he commits on

Jun 22, 2017, 5:52 PM

the spot. Is that one less scholarship we have to offer? I know offers are a dice roll because you know you are only going to get X per cent of your offers, and I know we do not offer as many as other schools, but, good Lord, how many offers does Alabama make? It's a compliment to us that practically every kid we offer has an Alabama offer. This makes me think they make more offers than we do. What would these big schools do if 75% of their offers called in tomorrow saying they were committing? As far as that goes, what would we do?

Do we tell, say a QB offer, that the offer is contingent upon Trevor Lawrence decommitting?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes if we offer a kid and they commit that's one less we would offer.

Jun 22, 2017, 6:00 PM

That being said the scholarships don't officially count against us until they show up probably. At that point if you oversigned somehow you'd be in a bind and you'd either have to be fined (lose scholarships probably) or not honor the commitment (which I don't know of Dabo ever doing). It's a tight rope for sure and our coaches know how to play it right. As far as I know our coaches haven't pulled commitments or pushed people to move on once they are there unlike Alabama who signs 24 or 25 a year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes if we offer a kid and they commit that's one less we would offer.

Jun 22, 2017, 6:39 PM

Thanks.

Jun 22, 2017, 6:54 PM [ in reply to Yes if we offer a kid and they commit that's one less we would offer. ]

I have a related question, do we then notify others that we have offered that we are now Full at a particular position and have to withdraw outstanding offers?

I'm not a behind the scenes guy but I think the answer is yes.

Jun 22, 2017, 8:18 PM

I can't think of specific examples other than ones we offered at different positions o don't know if helps. If d. Joyner and eynn would have excepted offers at positions offered when offered they'd likely be on our team but they wanted to play specific positions which we were either full or wanted others above them at. I know that isn't directly answering you but it goes to show that we i hinkbare up front and don't promise them whatever they want and then move them later.

i got to know Cory Lambert years ago. He committed before

Jun 22, 2017, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Yes if we offer a kid and they commit that's one less we would offer. ]

his senior season and Brad Scott promised him that, even if he got hurt his senior season. we would still honor his scholarship. Cory did not pan out liked we had hoped.. What Cory told me afterwards was, during the heat of his recruiting, they were eating at Tanners's on Pleasentburg and Coach Scott told him, because of rules, he could not by his hamburger.

How easy would it to have done that. WE RUN AN HONEST PROGRAM!

Re: i got to know Cory Lambert years ago. He committed before

Jun 22, 2017, 8:44 PM

I remember Lambert was the only 4 star recruit we had in that class,my how times have changed.

Jun 22, 2017, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Yes if we offer a kid and they commit that's one less we would offer. ]

Yea we are bout to have 2 less than 18 recruiting classes in a row. You never see that with Bama and other sec schools! That's bc we redshirt and don't push them out if they aren't panning out. We keep them on the team and keep devolping them and we guys like Kevin Dodd who comes out of nowhere, bc we continued to develop when bama would have moved on!

Another recruiting question

Jun 22, 2017, 7:57 PM

Please explain offer and commitable offer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not the expert. There are others with better knowledge. But here is my best . . .

Jun 22, 2017, 8:14 PM

Recruiting and numbers is difficult. If you have 18 openings there I no way you can offer 18 scholarships and expect to hit it dead on. So you have to offer more than positions. I think our coaches, while maybe not perfect, try to be upfront as much as possible. What I think they may do is offer a DE for instance and say if you commit now it's yours. Or they may say well be honest there is someone we want more than you and we like you but this offer is only good if that person doesn't go. Again I'm not the expert but I think that is what is meant by committable vs not. Unfortunately it is set up as an ugly business by nature. However when you talk to players we recruited most give good feedback that they were dealt with honestly. We also don't over offer. Someone gave a list earlier this year with number of offers. We were on the low side compared to most schools. Stanford was with us. Others are obviously offering anything that breathes. Not saying we are perfect but I think our coaches are doing this the right way.

Re: I'm not the expert. There are others with better knowledge. But here is my best . . .

Jun 22, 2017, 10:40 PM

Thanks!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Another recruiting question

Jun 22, 2017, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Another recruiting question ]

> Please explain offer and commitable offer.

The offer is only good at the time given. As an example Clemson may offer four DEs but only have room for two. First two to accept the offer get the spots unless you have someone like XT who would be oversign worthy. Player X is given an offer during his junior year but does not commit. In the mean time other players are offered and commit so we are full. When player X commits late in his senior year korncoot will write that player X choose the coots over CU but the fact is at the time of his coot commitment he did not have a commitable offer from CU as we were already full.

Oversign worthy simply means a player is good enough to accept his commitment even if we are already full at the position. The coaches would quietly suggest a current player may get more PT elsewhere or perhaps not bring a fifth year player back if he has already graduated to make room

Re: Another recruiting question

Jun 22, 2017, 10:41 PM

Thanks! Makes perfect sense,

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic