Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"It's not the heat. It's the humidity"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 5,042

"It's not the heat. It's the humidity"

Jun 21, 2017, 8:37 PM

I hear this thrown around all the time by people who live in the south, proud of their humidity. Or "yeah but it's a dry heat" as if somehow that makes it better.

Last few days here in southern Utah have been 110-115. It's a dry brutal heat. It's different than humidity for sure. You don't sweat as much. In fact there's no liquid at all. The heat goes straight to your head, making you lightheaded and you don't even sweat much to relieve yourself. It feels like being in an oven pressing all around you. You really feel the rays of the sun on you beating down. In some ways it's worse than humidity. It also makes any car in sunlight a complete pressure cooker

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "It's not the heat. It's the humidity"

Jun 21, 2017, 8:45 PM

That must really be tough, on you and your HVAC system.

Message was edited by: sregit98®

Is this a humblebrag? A talking-down-to? A complaint?***

Jun 21, 2017, 8:58 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Jun 21, 2017, 9:01 PM

That settles it, you will be forced to move to Clemson. When it's too hot just jump in the lake or take a few minutes drive to the nearby mountains. You don't have any choice..

mountains in clemson? Lol***

Jun 21, 2017, 9:06 PM

Re: mountains in clemson? Lol***

Jun 21, 2017, 9:41 PM

Obviously you know nothing about Clemson. The Blue Ridge mtns are just a few minutes drive away. Hop right up to Highlands, NC and there's an immediate temperature drop of 10 degrees or more.

Re: mountains in clemson? Lol******

Jun 22, 2017, 5:52 AM [ in reply to mountains in clemson? Lol*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Those

Jun 22, 2017, 8:32 AM

have to be at least a few minutes away

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Re: mountains in clemson? Lol***

Jun 22, 2017, 8:13 AM [ in reply to mountains in clemson? Lol*** ]

Where the Blue Ridge yawns its greatness,
Where the Tigers play,
Here the sons of dear old Clemson
Reign supreme alway.

CHORUS
Dear old Clemson we will triumph,
And with all our might,
That the Tiger's roar may echo
O'er the mountain height.

We will dream of greater conquests
For our past is grand.
And her sons have fought and conquered
Every foreign land.

Where the mountains smile in grandeur
O'er the hill and dale,
Here the Tiger lair is nestling
Swept by storm and gale.

We are brothers strong in manhood,
For we work and strive.
And our Alma Mater reigneth
Ever in our lives.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Those

Jun 22, 2017, 8:33 AM

are just words bob

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

^ This made me lol.

Jun 22, 2017, 8:48 AM

Not sure why.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

If you keep writing 'em down

Jun 23, 2017, 8:19 AM [ in reply to Re: mountains in clemson? Lol*** ]

AND put them up on the stadium during games, people are NEVER going to learn the words, bob!

Is life just one big short cut for you and your ilk?!

smh

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Jun 21, 2017, 9:05 PM

Clemson vs. UGA 1993.

Clemson vs. SC State 2014.

Steam Heat !!!!

Would Welcome dry heat in The Valley the second and third week of September.

Jun 21, 2017, 9:36 PM

Also forgot to mention the 1982 Orange Bowl in Miami for those fortunate enough to be there.

Go Tigers!!!! Beat Nebraska again!!!

its just a bit humorous to me to think of those as mountains

Jun 21, 2017, 9:43 PM

When I can be at nearly 12,000 in 30 minutes here and the temps drop as much as 40 degrees

Re: Your entire post is a "talking down to"

Jun 21, 2017, 10:01 PM

Blah blah blah.

just trying to put to bed a common and fairly silly cliche***

Jun 21, 2017, 10:08 PM

Ironically, its not the 92-94 degree heat you don't like in the SE, its the 90% humidity.

Jun 21, 2017, 10:25 PM

Right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: its just a bit humorous to me to think of those as mountains

Jun 22, 2017, 5:38 AM [ in reply to its just a bit humorous to me to think of those as mountains ]

Solely temp drop doesn't determine if they are mountains or not. Those are definitely mountains in Highlands/Cashiers, Whiteside and such.

So mountains are subjective now?

Jun 22, 2017, 8:05 AM [ in reply to its just a bit humorous to me to think of those as mountains ]

You must be a liberal.

^ Complains about getting lightheaded in the heat...

Jun 22, 2017, 8:35 AM [ in reply to its just a bit humorous to me to think of those as mountains ]

Doesn't move 30 minutes away where it's 40 degrees cooler.

nobody lives there. It's a 12,000 foot peak

Jun 22, 2017, 1:11 PM

Only small resorts at the 10,000 level. Plus it's perpetually covered in snow from October to may

In april I posted how happy I was to be back in the SE and

Jun 21, 2017, 9:19 PM

how I loved the humidity, the green, the bugs, and the good people and you said most of those were things you didn't like. You liked the cool evenings and the dry heat. So I'm confused.
Its 112, dry, and everything is dead at my house in the Sierra Nevada foothills. I spent the day in the attic yesterday to boot. Its fn hot.
I miss the humidity. You can be outaide and it helps regulate your body's cooling. Its also what helps give the south its lush green. This dry heat is for the birds.. its near impossible to exercise outside.
So yep, I agree.. its hot. But I also know what I like and where I stand.. you just seem discontent with it all. And yes, there are mountains within a short drive of Clemson. They are the oldest range on the planet and they are beautiful.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I'm saying that whenever I tell my family

Jun 21, 2017, 10:00 PM

Back in SC the temp here they say something dismissive about the dry heat like it's nothing.

Also i used to spend summer with my grandparents who lived south of New Orleans and there was not 1 good thing about the humidity there. You must be thinking of upstate SC light humidity, because nobody in south Louisiana even steps outside in summer unless it's to stand in front of a hose.

One thing I don't miss is the bugs. I can go on walks here without having to deal with them. I remember taking a walk around a lake in Minnesota last June and I was practically choking on and being blinded by gnats. No such issues here. And when the sun starts to set things do get significantly cooler. It humid areas sometimes you sweat the most in evening or morning. But sunsets here are very pleasant not to mention a lot more beautiful with the wide open spaces and mountains.

I got back from lake tahoe yesterday

Jun 22, 2017, 6:28 AM

And I can honestly say I have never encountered more bugs in my entire life

The harsh realities of Lake Tahoe that we didn't know about***

Jun 22, 2017, 8:43 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, it was awful!

Jun 22, 2017, 8:45 AM

I couldn't even dock my luxury yacht without getting mosquito bites!

It really made me miss the lush sands of Djibouti...not a big for miles!

Re: I'm saying that whenever I tell my family

Jun 23, 2017, 8:24 AM [ in reply to I'm saying that whenever I tell my family ]

>
> One thing I don't miss is the bugs. I can go on walks
> here without having to deal with them.
>

Even the f'in bugs are smart enough not to 'live' there. It's a nice place to visit, tho'

??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lightheaded in the heat? Sounds like you could use...

Jun 21, 2017, 9:20 PM

a parasol...

TWO damb funny!!

Jun 23, 2017, 8:26 AM

Fess up Francis, these ARE family fotos, right?!?!

Jun 21, 2017, 9:31 PM

Guess they don't sell very much baby powder, Desenex or Cruex out there. LOL

Jun 21, 2017, 9:56 PM

Hot is hot , I don't care what the moisture saturation in the local atmosphere is .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 21, 2017, 10:29 PM

I'll take the good ole south over any place this earth has to offer. Born and raised here and plan on living here till the day I die.

Jun 22, 2017, 6:08 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kFxyjaH4fM0

Jun 21, 2017, 10:31 PM

Alls I know is, if it's gonna be say 95 degrees I'd rather it be 95 with no humidity than 95 and high humidity. Of course a dry 115 feels just as bad as 95 humidity...those are both like the extremes of each. BUT imagine 115 WITH humidity...that would be killer.

Southern India is probably closest to that on Earth***

Jun 22, 2017, 1:12 PM

You are sweating

Jun 21, 2017, 11:16 PM

but is evaporating rather than being soaked into your clothes like somewhere with high humidity. The need to stay hydrated it critical. Drink lots of water, sports drinks, etc. It is much like high altitude in Colorado. You don't get as hot because of the altitude, but 90% of "altitude sickness" is dehydration.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You are sweating

Jun 22, 2017, 12:04 AM

I see OP's point and others. People with breathing problems have said that moving to dryer air is better on the lungs. However, high humidity can change a person's breathing but staying hydrated is the most important thing. Seems to me that whether you live in the south east or out west, staying hydrated is key, hot is hot. Humidity just brings the sticky with it for most people that aren't used to it.

I lived in the Panhandle for 2 years, in July you walk outside and you are sweating in 7 seconds and doesn't stop. Upstate SC is not as bad but still, very hot and humid to blast the AC. Stay cool & Hang in there.

oh thats somewhat unrelated to the heat discussion

Jun 22, 2017, 12:36 AM

but that is something else thats better for me personally about the west. When I lived in SC I would wake up with headaches, stuffed up nose, can't open my eyes etc. thanks to allergies. I have not had that issue one bit in Utah (idiot have the issue in Texas or North Dakota either). When I went home to SC to visit in May those terrible allergic reactions came back, I was feeling the affects all day.

Wow I have stayed out of this discussion but this is

Jun 22, 2017, 2:20 PM

not true for me. I have to go to Colorado (Colorado Springs and Pueblo) and Utah (Tooele) a lot all different times of the year. The lack of humidity kills my sinuses. In less than a day in that dryness my sinuses are completely plugged with dried blood from being so dry. It's miserable and takes me days to get over when I return to SC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 22, 2017, 12:19 AM

First, please step off your high horse. Second, I'd like to introduce you to a concept called the "heat index". Yes, you have hot temps in Utah (not hot, #### hot), but pretending like you're some martyr because the thermometer reads 3 digits is dumb.

This is a chart.

For the little town in south Utah I looked up, it's going to be 105 with ~15% humidity tomorrow. Per the chart, it will FEEL like 102 degrees. Yes that sucks, and yes it's hot.
In Greenville on Friday (sorry, can't count tomorrow because of the hurricane coming through) it's going to be 89 degrees with an expected humidity of ~70%. It will FEEL like 103 degrees. Guess what, it feels just as hot as where you live, and it's only 89 degrees!

Later this summer, when it's 98F and 60% humidity (ie, July-August), it will feel like it's over 120 degrees. So when people say "it's not the heat, it's the humidity", that's likely what they mean.

haha son'd em***

Jun 22, 2017, 11:14 AM

Jun 22, 2017, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Re: "It's not the heat. It's the humidity" ]

And shocking the arrogant OP is no where to be found.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Jun 22, 2017, 3:11 PM

Posted here 30 minutes ago?

I've been replying to things all day

Jun 22, 2017, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Re: "It's not the heat. It's the humidity" ]

I'm surprised how many people took a personal affront to my post

Re: I've been replying to things all day

Jun 22, 2017, 4:26 PM

Jun 22, 2017, 5:35 AM

I prefer the humid heat, myself. Being from the SE I am use to it more. The dry heat is like being in an oven, imo, it causes me to have short breathes and a bit of a panic feeling in those shorter breaths.

Also, I had more problems with congestion out West. Despite hearing how it was "better" for people who have lung issues. The dry air kept me from being able to get stuff up out of my lungs. I worked at Yellowstone and could not take long steamy hot showers, nor did I have the option of a humidifier in those old ranger station dorms.

Talk about a harsh reality!***

Jun 22, 2017, 6:26 AM

I'll admit, I've never experienced 115 in the Southwest/West

Jun 22, 2017, 7:04 AM

But I've been in Tucson when it approached 100 and it felt great to me. Personally I'll take the dry heat until proven otherwise. I've spent days outside in Charleston in the 99+ degree, 99% humidity and it's miserable. Sweating in that weather does nothing to help lower your body temperature because it can't evaporate.

Here is the difference.

Jun 22, 2017, 8:11 AM

In a dry heat, if you get in the shade, there is a huge temperature difference. With high humidity... shade just makes it a little less brighter with the same muggy hard to breathe oppresive beat down of heat.

That's too hot

Jun 22, 2017, 8:30 AM

Stay indoors. Seriously. That heat is dangerous. Don't go in a swimming pool, either, it's worse.
I went to Phoenix when it was 106 and noticed the pools were empty during the day, and didn't quite get it till I went in one. Everybody would go in 'em at night only.

I'd take the dry heat where you are over the

Jun 22, 2017, 10:34 AM

humidity here in the summer. Plus your city is better than going down to St George and not nearly as bad as Phoenix.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

i spent the day in STG. That's what I was talking about***

Jun 22, 2017, 1:14 PM

So maybe be more specific next time?***

Jun 22, 2017, 1:29 PM

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

You're a bit testy today...

Jun 22, 2017, 1:31 PM

so be honest, it's been a long time between drinks?

also I could be moving to PHX soon

Jun 22, 2017, 2:40 PM [ in reply to So maybe be more specific next time?*** ]

so who knows. depends if job comes through

I don't which I'd rather.... IMO they both have the suck.

Jun 22, 2017, 10:47 AM

I am from CHS and grew up with the CHS heat and humidity but have spent plenty of years in the middle East for work. I am currently in Basra, IQ and it has been mild the last few days with temps only around 110 but last week they were in the low 120's and are expected to return next week. 120+ humidity or not is absol

Oops. Typo..

Jun 22, 2017, 10:49 AM

120+ humidity or not is miserable and I personally hate it. Not sure if I hate a dry 120 or a sultry 95 more tho... Either way, I hate the heat.

Jun 22, 2017, 1:36 PM

I've only been to Utah once - SLC in the dead of July. I think it was in the mid-90s on the thermometer. I took a walk from downtown up to the capitol building and was soaked by the time I got there. Yes, it's an all-uphill climb, but heat is heat and I don't care how it "feels." I checked the temperatures later that winter and saw the highs were in the 20s. To each his own, but no thanks for that type of climate for me. It is a truly beautiful setting though and I enjoyed it.

Singapore is probably the most humid place I've been to. You're guaranteed to need a change of clothes after any sort of walk. It's such a cool place that I didn't care.

The Australian sun is the real #######. You don't even feel hot, but I guess with the hole in the ozone layer, you're baked red in 20 minutes. I learned the hard way. Don't mess around down there.

do they have AC prevalent in Singapore and Australia?

Jun 22, 2017, 4:24 PM

That's one thing about the USA. Yeah it's hot as hell in Arizona and Florida in summer but we can easily go to powerfully air conditioned buildings so it's easy to avoid the heat most of the day.

I was in Italy a couple summers ago and even though it wasn't as hot temperature wise it was more unbearable because they don't have AC hardy anywhere and the buildings are not designed to be cool. There's no escape. Sleeping was a nightmare, had to have multiple fans pointed directly at me.

hey, i live in L.A. - i hate the "dry" heat,

Jun 22, 2017, 2:38 PM

and i hate that heat + humidity.
heat is hot.
i'd love the temp to be in the 70s. at all times.

Is this the Weather Channel?***

Jun 23, 2017, 10:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 61
| visibility 5,042
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic