Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why I'm optimistic that Kelly Bryant will be fine
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Why I'm optimistic that Kelly Bryant will be fine

Jun 18, 2017, 10:50 PM

First of all, you can't totally replace a Deshaun Watson. The guy was arguably the greatest Clemson football player of all time. However, I think there are 3 factors that will make Kelly Bryant a very effective quarterback for Clemson this season.

1) Running ability.
Kelly may be the best running QB we've had since Woody Dantzler. Bryant has a long history in option/read football, dating back to his early days as QB for Abbeville High, where they ran the wishbone and flexbone offenses, as he led them to a state title. Combined with an experienced offensive line and running backs like Fuller, Feaster and Choice, if those guys are clicking, then Bryant will have open lanes to run on keepers, which he will read to perfection with his option background.

2) Our wide receivers are a tough cover.
We have a stable of wide receivers that can beat most defensive backs in coverage. It's just a matter of Bryant making the simple play and getting it to them. Cain, Renfrow, McCloud, Thompson, Powell, Rogers and Higgins are as good as it gets on the collegiate level. Make the simple read and let them do the rest.

3) Tony Elliott and Jeff Scott.
Those two young men have shown they can get it done play calling on the biggest stage against the best teams. I look for our offense to resemble more of the Tajh Boyd style of the Chad Morris era. Window dressing motion from McCloud, with quick passes to our plethora of talented wide receivers. Tajh rarely made secondary reads, but we made it work because of our running game and making teams defend the entire field with motion.

I think Bryant will be just fine. Will he be a NFL caliber QB? Probably not. But I think he'll do well because our staff will play to his strengths. Personally, I can't wait to see what this season has to offer.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why I'm optimistic that Kelly Bryant will be fine

Jun 18, 2017, 11:00 PM

Either way, there's 4 and 5 star talent backing up the starter. It's a good problem to have.

Jun 18, 2017, 11:05 PM

kind of left out Streeter there. he did a greatjob w Stoudt and DW. Goodto have him in the mix

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Passing is the main catalyst of our offense. If we don't

Jun 18, 2017, 11:12 PM

have a passing attack, we don't have an offense, 2010 was not fun. We had one of the best defenses in the history of Clemson football that year and went 6-6. The defense would hold people to 17 and under and we still couldn't score enough to hang in the game. After that year, we completely revamped the offense and brought in Chad Morris. Why after 6 seasons of great offenses due to the new philosophy, would we abandon that, and waste the awesome receiver talent we have.

Kelly has never once indicated he could lead a successful passing attack. That is nothing personal on him, it is just fact. I don't understand why the most important position on the field can be awarded just on seniority.

No matter who wins the starting spot, he will not be Watson. I understand that perfectly. But whoever wins the position needs to be able to engineer the Clemson offensive philosophy and run the same playbook. You don't change your offensive identity, or throw out half the playbook for a qb that has one year of eligibility.

We will not be able to be a run first team. That is not our identity and not what has created the success of the last six seasons. With all due respect, our offensive line was a national championship offensive line, but they couldn't open great rushing holes with Watson at QB and the best receivers in the nation as threats. How in the world would they create any yardage if we have a qb that veryone knows would rather not pass the ball.

Re: Passing is the main catalyst of our offense. If we don't

Jun 18, 2017, 11:29 PM

How anybody can say what Kelly Bryant "can't" do yet without having seen him play 4 quarters of college football is beyond me. Just like saying Feaster "isn't living up to his potential" yet. Neither have even played a single full game! Both guys had NFL caliber players in front of them and have only needed to see the field in garbage time mop ups and Spring Games. Coaches see these guys every day in practice- a lot more than any of us do. If Swinney, Elliot, Scott, and Streeter think KB gives us the best chance to win games- he'll be our QB.

It just doesn't make since to me when people say Kelly can't throw. Based off of what?

Jun 18, 2017, 11:35 PM

Jimmy watch his appearances last year in games. He would not pass the ball even when he needed to. He thinks run first and won't look for second or third receivers. BS has his work cut out for him. I'm not judging him on the spring game because of the injury.

Jun 18, 2017, 11:42 PM

I'm sure KB had a very limited playbook when he came in during garbage time. He was there to get in-game experience, not to lead a passing attack drive down the field when we up are by 100+ point against Syracuse.

To be clear I'm not advocating that KB is the guy, he may or may not win the job, I'm just saying how can anybody know what his game is going to be like if we haven't even seen it yet?

Jun 19, 2017, 9:21 PM

You, sir, seem to be very wise. Just some thoughts. Our September schedule will be difficult, without much cushion or leeway gor trial and error.
Some players just cannot seem to get over the hump in game situations, under the bright lights. My main concern is that we don't go thru 2017 like we did 2014. In that season we (effectively) lost the FSU game b4 the coaches concluded that DW4 should have been the starter. (A lot of CU fans thought it should have been obvious after the UGa and SC State games that DW4 should have been the starter at FSU.)
Hopefully, Dabo & company have good memories and they will work miracles -- and we won't have to suffer thru a significant lost game, or two, to get the right QB on the field.

Jun 18, 2017, 11:31 PM [ in reply to Passing is the main catalyst of our offense. If we don't ]

I agree.

Jun 19, 2017, 8:07 AM [ in reply to Passing is the main catalyst of our offense. If we don't ]

I get your point, but we didn't have much of an OL then. Now the OL is a real deep strength. I do, however, share your concerns. The 2nd sentence of the 2nd point of the original poster's list states my fear very well. From what we've seen so far, that is a big question mark.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2017, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Passing is the main catalyst of our offense. If we don't ]

I would argue that rushing (namely the read option) is the main catalyst of our offense.

All of our passing plays are predicated on the threat of the QB run. A LB or DB is forced to stay in the box, opening up the screen game. Once the screen game is working, a safety has to come down into the box to cover it, opening up medium-range throws.

Jun 19, 2017, 11:09 PM [ in reply to Passing is the main catalyst of our offense. If we don't ]

You can only hope coot

Jun 18, 2017, 11:20 PM

Can Bryant be effective and accurate throwing the required passes in our offense? If he can, he will be fine.

Hope you're right. Time will tell.

Jun 18, 2017, 11:40 PM

And it won't be long before it does.

Jun 18, 2017, 11:46 PM

I agree with what the OP was trying to relate as far as potential. I also with other points already written. How can you accurately evaluate a player that hasn't had the opportunity of starting 4 quarters? At the same time if changing offensive identity is in the picture, I could see that as problematic. Dabo and OC's have an offensive identity that they have " culminated " since the 3 were together. A lot of that was around Watson. However, the biggest thing about Watson was : He could do both. Throw consistent downfield as a threat, and be a running threat.

It took some of that pressure off to cater to "strengths", Watson proved to have it all. If Bryant proves to have a mix that will be effective to his running style and getting the ball to the receivers, I'm all for it and cant wait to see it. The only trouble is, one 5 star on the bench and another on the way. The one on the bench will be highly coveted, if He doesn't win starting job at Clemson at some point in time before Lawrence. What about Coop? I know everything will work out fine, but it's going to be interesting how it all develops in the fall. KB, best of luck as starter, and to all of them on their rank & development. A lot of talent, and a good problem to have.

Jun 19, 2017, 6:35 AM

To be fair, fall practice will sort it out. KB knows the playbook. Has the speed, and has never been asked to lead the team. He has had very little opportunity to run with the first team, except a few reps in practice. Talent wise, I think it's Johnson. This guy is a student of the playbook and from all accounts, is working hard to prepare himself for August. 5-star talent at its finest. KB should know the playbook right now, and if I'm the coach of the defending National Champions, I want to keep the train moving. I'm just glad I'm not the one that has to choose.

I think Cooper eventually transfers. Israel is probably going to be our clipboard guy. Brice will redshirt, and when Israel leaves, follow in Israel's footsteps. I don't think there is any way KB sees the NFL as a quarterback. If his aspirations is the NFL then he needs to discover what position that will be at. Does Terrell Pryor come to mind?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2017, 8:13 AM

I agree with your thoughts. That means you are in trouble (kidding). I just hope we make the right decision, and it doesn't take 2-3 losses for us to figure it out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2017, 6:25 AM

Me too!

Jun 19, 2017, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Why I'm optimistic that Kelly Bryant will be fine ]

You don't change the offense to suit Kelly Bryant.

Jun 19, 2017, 6:36 AM

This team could very much resemble last years Alabama team. Great defense, really good offensive line, skill players everywhere and an athletic QB with limited downfield passing skills.

I'll sign up right now for a mirror of Bama's 2016 season.

Here is a list of why coach S should go ahead and name the

Jun 19, 2017, 7:14 AM

Starting QB

1. To pacify many on tnet

That is all

Why I am worried about Bryant.

Jun 19, 2017, 7:26 AM

He has never done it nor shown that he has the ability to do it. Either he can or he can't. I do know that we have tons of talent and there is someone who can do it if he can not. I am pulling for Bryant though like we all are.

Re: Why I am worried about Bryant.

Jun 19, 2017, 7:31 AM

Me as well. I have yet to see him perform as a big time QB but perhaps he has the tools. He has been in games and played against colllege teams but he has shown me little. Right now I would say the Tigers are a six or seven win team with him at the helm. But our coaches are the best so if he is the guy he will be the starter.
I look for him to start the Kent State game .............. and someone else to start the Auburn game!
No point in letting the War Eagles know everything!

I think we are a 9 win team with Bryant, because...

Jun 19, 2017, 8:11 AM

we will have a great D. I think he will also have some great games vs lesser talent. To be as great as we want, we need a QB that can step it up and pass the ball vs really good D's. Hs running ability won't do anything vs a quality D unless he is a great passer. They will stack the box like what happened to Dantzler vs FSU back in the day. Moreover, he better be able to pass the ball with all the WR's we have. We need to keep them happy.

Brandon Streeter

Jun 19, 2017, 9:49 AM

Okrahoma is still trying to determine what happened the first time we played them

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

One given is Dabo and BV do not want to waste 2017 season

Jun 19, 2017, 7:02 PM

Dabo will play the QB who can provide the W's in 2017. Maybe not the 1st game. But thereafter.

The D is way too good to let this season go. And while injuries cannot be predicted, agree with comments on Israel and Brice being solid backups.

Next spring and summer, again barring injury, Johnson and T. Lawrence square off for all the marbles and #2 transfers. The rest of the QBs pick another position or transfer.

One given is Dabo and BV do not want to waste 2017 season

Jun 19, 2017, 8:15 PM

Dabo will play the QB who can provide the W's in 2017. Maybe not the 1st game. But thereafter.

The D is way too good to let this season go. And while injuries cannot be predicted, agree with comments on Israel and Brice being solid backups.

Next spring and summer, again barring injury, Johnson and T. Lawrence square off for all the marbles and #2 transfers. The rest of the QBs pick another position or transfer.

Abbeville High?

Jun 20, 2017, 8:19 AM

KB played for Wren

Re: Abbeville High?

Jun 20, 2017, 8:22 AM

He only played for wren either his senior season or his junior and senior season

Jun 20, 2017, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Abbeville High? ]

He played for both.

He transferred to Wren to play in a passing offense.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 21, 2017, 10:27 AM

Correct

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic