Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kier Meredith
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 4,134

Kier Meredith

Jun 16, 2017, 9:51 AM

Plans to let Monte Lee know in the next few days if he will enroll later this month, but says if the right contract comes along he will sign with the Cubs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kier Meredith

Jun 16, 2017, 10:27 AM

I think he's gone, unfortunately. They'll throw some bonus pool money at him and he'll bite.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2017, 10:31 AM

28th round money?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2017, 10:57 AM

The slot value for the Cubs' 1st round pick is about $2.3M, so if they reach an agreement with that player at $1.8M, for instance, that $500K difference can then be reallocated to other players, like Meredith. Even though his slot value is only $125K, he could wind up getting a much bigger offer depending on the Cubs' bonus pool.

Jun 16, 2017, 11:03 AM

Yeah when he says he has a number in mind he isn't going to just settle for 28th round money if he wants $1 million

Jun 16, 2017, 10:33 AM

I don't understand this personally. But I guess it isn't up to me. If he believes in his ability he should take the chance.

Seems like a weird situation that he was a projected 5-10 round pick and wasn't picked until the 28th and yet he doesn't seem so gung-ho about coming to Clemson the way Okey, Beer, and Davidson were.

Jun 16, 2017, 11:00 PM

> I don't understand this personally. But I guess it
> isn't up to me. If he believes in his ability he
> should take the chance.
>
> Seems like a weird situation that he was a projected
> 5-10 round pick and wasn't picked until the 28th and
> yet he doesn't seem so gung-ho about coming to
> Clemson the way Okey, Beer, and Davidson were.

I agree something doesn't smell right .

I'm glad I'm not a baseball coach

Jun 16, 2017, 10:38 AM

If you recruit to well you get no one bc they all go pro from high school. You have to find all diamonds in the rough to have success. Much different then football or even basketball recruiting.

Re: I'm glad I'm not a baseball coach

Jun 16, 2017, 10:44 AM

Pretty much. We missed out on Austin Meadows in 2013, Cornelius Randolph and Jalen Miller in 2015, Carter Kieboom and Travis McGregor in 2016, and Sam Keating in 2017. Definitely could have lost Beer, Okey, and Davidson to the draft too had they not declared they were going to school. It's tough out there.

Jun 16, 2017, 11:04 AM

Some players realize that playing in a good college program is better for their development than playing a few seasons of class A ball for a few bucks. Those late night bus rides are anything but fun! The added bonus of being a student working towards a degree is another advantage. Some players get a signing bonus to large to refuse. A 28th rounder probably will not. Several thousand bucks means a lot to most teenagers however.

Jun 16, 2017, 8:22 PM

That on top of the fact that it's a lot cooler to play in cities like Clemson, Athens, GA, Charlottesville, VA, Louisville, Boston, etc. vs. Ames, Iowa, Albaquerque, NM, anywhere, Kansas, etc.

Jun 16, 2017, 11:45 AM

Does anyone know what time David Hood is having his sit down with Monte today? Interested to hear what he's heard on the returning juniors.

imo - Meredith will take the money as some of you have indicated.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The MLB gives each team an allotted amount of money to spend

Jun 16, 2017, 12:16 PM

through the first 10 rounds. For instances lets say the MLB gave the Cubs 10 million to spend on signing bonuses for the first 10 rounds well lets say the Cubs only use 8.5 million, that means they have 1.5 million to enhance the signing bonus of any other player after the 10th round. So Meredith's slot value is 125k well lets say he told the Cubs he isn't signing for anything less than 300K well the Cubs can use some of the money they saved during the first 10 rounds to give Kier the money he wants. Also they may view Meredith as a steal and worth 3-400k just to sign him. If I was Lee I would tell him look your going to be drafted in 3 years so come to Clemson and get your draft grade up and enhance your chance to get to the Show. Lets face it, MLB teams have more interest and value to get a kid they drafted in the first few rounds to the show than they do a kid picked in the 28th round. That's what I would try and sell him on and if that doesn't work then the kid was just looking for a reason not to go to college.

Re: The MLB gives each team an allotted amount of money to spend

Jun 16, 2017, 12:38 PM

Hard choice:

1) come to Clemson, play 3 years, enjoy college life, work towards a degree, hone your skills under Coach Lee and play good baseball or

2) get a one time bonus of 3-400k to ride a bus, play baseball and HOPE you're good enough to go from there to majors eventually.

Hard choice ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 4,134
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic