Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
USC / Clemson Rivalry
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 3,375

USC / Clemson Rivalry

May 29, 2017, 4:57 PM

It’s almost June and the football “dead” time is upon us (other than recruiting) and I am bored. Since I am a graduate of both Clemson and USC, I am very interested in both schools and spend a lot of time reading blogs and websites for both schools. I find a lot of what is said by fans of both schools interesting and many times just down right hilarious.

Just for kicks during the “dead” time, I did some research on the USC/CU rivalry. Of course, CU and USC began playing each other in football in 1896 and have played each other a total of 114 times (17th most all time for college football rivalries – Lehigh/Lafayette is #1 at 152 games). USC/CU have played every year since 1909 – 3rd longest continuous rivalry in college football (Lehigh/Lafayette is #1 – 1897 & Minnesota/Wisconsin is #2 – 1907). USC/CU did not play each other from 1903 through 1908 due to a massive brawl that occurred during the 1902 game. USC and CU played in Columbia every year until 1960 when the game was played at Clemson for the first time – they have played home and home ever since.

Head to Head Info
Clemson leads 68-42-4
Clemson has a 59.6% winning percentage (ties count as a loss)
USC has a 36.8% winning percentage (ties count as a loss)

Winning Streaks in Series
3 Game Streaks: Clemson – 4 times; USC – 3 times
4 Game Streaks: Clemson – 7 times; USC – 1 time
5 Game Streaks: Clemson – 0 times; USC – 1 time
6 Game Streaks: None
7 Game Streaks: Clemson – 1 time; USC – 0 times
8 or more: None

Through the Decades (wins by each team)
1890’s: CU – 3 USC – 1 Ties – 0
1900’s: CU – 2 USC – 1 Ties – 0
1910’s: CU – 8 USC – 1 Ties – 1
1920’s: CU – 5 USC – 5 Ties – 0
1930’s: CU – 7 USC – 3 Ties – 0
1940’s: CU – 4 USC – 5 Ties – 1
1950’s: CU – 4 USC – 5 Ties – 1
1960’s: CU – 5 USC – 5 Ties – 0
1970’s: CU – 6 USC – 4 Ties – 0
1980’s: CU – 7 USC – 2 Ties – 1
1990’s: CU – 7 USC – 3 Ties – 0
2000’s: CU – 7 USC – 3 Ties – 0
2010’s: CU – 3 USC – 4 Ties – 0

Recent History
Last 5 Years: Clemson leads 3-2
Last 10 Years: Series tied at 5-5
Last 20 Years: Clemson leads 13-7

History shows that Clemson has had the upper hand for much of the rivalry but there have been periods (1920’s, 1940’s, 1950’s and 1960’s) where USC was even or held the upper hand. The thing about history is it is just that – history, nothing more or nothing less. I get a kick out of Clemson fans that think history guarantees that they will always beat USC - they are drinking too much orange koolaid and need only think back 3 years to the “5 peat”. I get a kick out of USC fans that want to deny and downplay the history of this rivalry and what has happened in the past couple of years – they need to take off the garnet colored glasses. Having said that, I certainly respect the right of every CU or USC fan to drink orange koolaid or wear garnet glasses – that’s what makes this rivalry so much fun! The only thing that is certain is the next several years are “uncertain” – CU may continue it’s winning ways or USC may take off on another 5 peat – we just will not know until the games are played. I think one thing is fairly certain and that is it will be very interesting to see how this rivalry takes shape over the next few years with Muschamp as USC's coach - he is certainly working the recruiting trail hard so time will tell.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: USC / Clemson Rivalry

May 29, 2017, 5:55 PM

I have no clue where you got this incorrect info, because USC is not our rival and we haven't played them near that many times.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2017, 6:11 PM

He's working the trail hard to bring in a bunch of 3 stars with a couple of 4 stars sprinkled in.

One thing you can 100% bank on is SC not starting another streak in the next several years.
Talent levels of these 2 teams is the most lopsided it's been in a long while.

May 29, 2017, 6:18 PM

Throw out the ties which are neither wins or losses and the record is 68-42 which is 61.8%. Clemson is 14 games shy of doubling SC's head to head win record. They are in the drivers seat to get closer to that.
According to the post sc has never won 6 games in a decade. Clemson has won 7 four times and 8 once.
2 National titles to none
Recent conference championships to none
A good number of wins in the last few years against top SEC teams
History tells the story of two schools that are not on the same level
Head to head wins 63 to 17 and 56 to 7
Clemson's ability to recruit is in a much higher class.
Drinking too much orange koolaid will not distort your vision.

May 29, 2017, 6:29 PM

I was at the game for that 1902 brawl. Coots fought dirty. Switchblades in their socks and whatnot

Were you sitting with

May 29, 2017, 7:06 PM

hartins® and lightbulbbill® ?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Were you sitting with

May 29, 2017, 10:43 PM

We didn't sit together but we all had some fun tailgating with our horse&buggies

You should throw in the forfeits that we refused to accept***

May 29, 2017, 6:36 PM

If your decade by decade breakdown is correct (and

May 29, 2017, 6:54 PM

I believe it is), then the chickens have only won two of the 10 year segments--the 40's and 50's--and then only 5-4 with a tie each decade. Over a 114 game span, thats pretty remarkable.

Also, since Clemson did achieve a 7-game winning streak, would it not follow they had a 5 game and a 6 game winning streak as well?? Its not reflected in your numbers

But, IMO, the truly mind-boggling factor is that the rivalry (chuckle) game has been played on usuck's home field approx. 75% of the time.....and Clemson enjoys a considerable lead that will not be surpassed in my lifetime nor likely into the coming 4 or 5 decades.....Perhaps to even the historical playing field , usuck would consent to play the game in Death Valley for the next 40 or 50 years to even things out (keeping in mind, of course, 50% of the time, CLemson would have had home field anyhow)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell em, coot!***

May 29, 2017, 7:05 PM

May 29, 2017, 8:28 PM

nice fence riding. You practice that for equestrian?

May 29, 2017, 9:18 PM

I'm sure you spent a lot of time on this but you missed the boat on your assessment of "history". History does show reality here. The "5peat" is an anomaly dude & you act like all coots pretending that it's not. Come on man. You gotta have better judgment than that

2 posts in over 13 years????...

May 29, 2017, 10:10 PM

...and you suddenly decide analyze the Win/Lose record by decade, then essentially proclaim both programs even.... either team can win these knock down drag out games??

Sounds A LOT like you fell out on the chicken side to me. Sorry for your lose man.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2017, 10:22 PM

That's a whole lot of ciphers for the chicken brain . What your work shows is that Clemson owns .
We own the rivalry , period .
#Boom will bust in a couple of seasons without ever having beaten Clemson ...and y'all will be on to the next great saviour .

Women's basketball , that's who you are .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May 29, 2017, 10:27 PM

if you got a 7 game streak then you also hav a 6 game streak

May 30, 2017, 6:51 AM

AND a 5-game streak.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2017, 10:06 AM

And 5 three game streaks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Oops. Hit the wrong ### thumb.***

May 30, 2017, 9:55 AM

"How to win friends & influence people"

May 30, 2017, 11:01 AM

^^ must of just read it bc thats a h£LL of a post for a newb

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Replies: 18
| visibility 3,375
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive