Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
RIP Gregg Allman
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

RIP Gregg Allman

May 27, 2017, 3:52 PM

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7759662/gregg-allman-dead

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: RIP Gregg Allman

May 27, 2017, 4:12 PM

Gypsy flies from coast to coast. Two of my favorite things the Allman Brothers Band and Clemson football.

May 27, 2017, 4:52 PM

We have those two things in common. Gregg had tough life losing his brother at young age and having to be the leader he didn't really want to be. What a talent but IV drugs, Hepatitis C, Liver Transplant ... he was fortunate to still be playing live until late 2016.

May 27, 2017, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Re: RIP Gregg Allman ]

> Gypsy flies from coast to coast. Two of my favorite
> things the Allman Brothers Band and Clemson football.

Mine 2. What a voice.

RIP Gregg

https://youtu.be/iyrFpR59_vQ

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2017, 4:15 PM

He could flat out play that guitar. End of an era. Helped to give birth to Southern Rock.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2017, 4:21 PM

ABB was one of my favorite bands growing up. Great blues and soul singer!

We lose rock stars all the time, but for some reason I feel

May 27, 2017, 4:30 PM

an unusual sense of finality with this one. The Allmans were undoubtedly at their peak just prior to Duane's death, but over the years they were able to change and morph around a core group and one Allman, and still put out some great music. Even with the recent death of Butch Trucks and , the possibility of some iteration of "The Allman Brothers" not only remained, but almost seemed a certainty. I guess I took it for granted, but with nary an Allmam brother left, it's truly the end of an era, and the end of a great run.

RIP Gregg, RIP Allman Brothers Band.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

This one makes me more sad than most.***

May 27, 2017, 4:52 PM

Well said, and I feel the same way. Saw a couple shows with Dickey

May 27, 2017, 6:38 PM [ in reply to We lose rock stars all the time, but for some reason I feel ]

on guitar, but loved what they were able to do with the addition of Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks.. they became a stellar blues and soul machine. I knew this was coming, but it does feel more final somehow.. I'm sure that it has to do with the "southerness" and connection I felt to the music.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

May 27, 2017, 5:45 PM

Nooooooo .
Gregg and all those guys were immensely gifted and made tremendous contributions to the our times .

May 27, 2017, 5:46 PM

Singer / songwriter supreme .

The end of an era......

May 27, 2017, 5:45 PM

Rolling Stone magazine named The Allman Brothers Band the greatest r'n'r band in the world in '71 or '72 and not without justification......they built their fanbase playing every university, junior college and small venue in the South. Catching one of their concerts during those years---when Duane and Berry were still living---was frequently the penultimate of the art form.......never given to much of anything "showy", the band members mostly just stood onstage and belted out old, re-interpreted blues tunes brilliantly. It was a privilege seeing them so many, many times during those days.

Greg did some ugly things in his lifetime, but the image of him sitting behind that little Hammond B3 organ and singing is one thousands of us will never forget. Sniff, sniff,....those halcyon days are truly over

Eat a peach

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2017, 5:50 PM

The Allman Brothers gave root to the Southern Rock era, just as disco was dying. Can't tell you how many times I played Eat a Peach. Absolute essential album for all of us in Johnstone C.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

?

May 27, 2017, 7:58 PM

Your chronology is a little off. Eat A Peach came out in the early 70s (my freshman year). Disco should have never happened but was the mid-70s to early 80s.

I saw the Allman Brothers many times.

The first time was in Littlejohn on 9/11/71 just prior to Duane's passing. My first concert at Clemson.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

9/11

May 27, 2017, 8:00 PM

1971. Who else was there at Littlejohn?

One of Duane's last concerts.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Me***

May 27, 2017, 9:55 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 9/11

May 27, 2017, 10:41 PM [ in reply to 9/11 ]

I was there too. A freshman. My first rock concert ever. Still think about it from time to time. Made a big impression. Interesting to learn the exact date.

May 27, 2017, 8:35 PM

:(

May 27, 2017, 9:59 PM

RIP

my hero in high school***

May 27, 2017, 11:50 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2017, 12:19 AM

Best smokey rock n roll voice in southern rock history. This one is fitting RIP Gregg:

https://youtu.be/9OwSag4s-QU

Heard G. Allman Interview on radio a few yrs ago ...

May 28, 2017, 12:23 AM

Will never forget it. Allman talking about starting out with brother Duane. Said he often would write songs and play them for Duane. Brother Duane would say "you wrote a good song, but you just rewrote a Stones tune again with new lyrics." Then Greg says "then one day I wrote Sweet Melissa ... and our lives and everything changed."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2017, 7:26 AM

http://www.macon.com/news/local/article153095509.html

I feel a little empty after hearing this. RIP, Allman Bros.*

May 28, 2017, 8:05 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: RIP Gregg Allman- saw them twice at Clemson

May 28, 2017, 8:21 AM

shortly after each one of them would die in an accident. kept expecting a letter asking that we attend no more of their shows

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic