Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
60 Minutes tomorrow night...may be old news
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

60 Minutes tomorrow night...may be old news

May 27, 2017, 10:01 AM

This may have already been posted, but Ben Skardon, a Clemson grad and later a professor, will be featured on 60 Minutes tomorrow night. He is a survivor of the Bataan Death March. He goes to Arizona every year to walk in a memorial walk honoring those who died. He is just months shy of turning 100 years old and he made the entire 81/2 mile trek this year. An amazing man. It will certainly be worth watching.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He looked in great spirits Thursday putting out flags at

May 27, 2017, 11:27 AM

the memorial. He's "one of those kind" Tigers, that there used to be so many of of...and unfortunately are getting few and far between.

Re: He looked in great spirits Thursday putting out flags at

May 27, 2017, 8:44 PM

https://www.army.mil/article/165680/american_survivor

https://www.army.mil/article/184678/bataan_death_march_survivor_honors_brothers_in_arms

Re: He looked in great spirits Thursday putting out flags at

May 28, 2017, 7:53 AM [ in reply to He looked in great spirits Thursday putting out flags at ]

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-preview-a-survivors-march/

Re: 60 Minutes tomorrow night...may be old news

May 27, 2017, 11:28 AM

If anyone ever wonders how those men suffered, read the book "Give us This Day". It was written by one of the survivors. It was hard to imagine the things that those men endured. Mr. Skardon, and those who served, suffered, and sacrificed with him are truly remarkable men. This weekend is for all of those that served, and those that sacrificed at their countries call.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2017, 12:30 PM

What's amazing to me is that any of those survivors were able to live any length of time after the extreme mental and physical torture they endured. It's infuriating to know that many of those responsible either weren't prosecuted for war crimes or spent relatively little time in prison for sake of political expediency. The book "Unbroken" provided a clear view of that experience. One cousin spent nine months as a POW in Dresden, miraculously surviving the firebombing of the city. Lost 60 pounds in the process, but if I had a choice, would have taken the European theater POW experience over the Pacific area. However, definitely wouldn't try to speak for my cousin as I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen in documentaries and books.

God bless Professor Skardon. He and my cousin, now deceased, along with another cousin on my father's side, who died as a B-17 tail gunner en route to bomb the rocket factory in Peenemunde, deserve all the admiration possible.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

May 27, 2017, 1:10 PM

I didn't read the book , but I saw the movie and the documentary. I enjoyed both, but there is nothing like the written first hand account of the one one that experienced the events. I did read an account of the Dresden bombing. Your cousin was indeed blessed to have survived that ordeal. God bless all those heroes. Truly a great generation that we owe much to.

May 27, 2017, 12:24 PM

wish I'dknown his story back when I had him for english.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had him too. Remember his advice about naming male

May 27, 2017, 10:24 PM

children. I had him for both Technical Writing and Public Speaking. Great teacher.

His real name is Beverly. Still remember him telling us if we ever had sons not to give them a girl's name. He said when he was in high school and his friends were getting letters from Clemson he was getting letters from Winthop (at the time an all girls school).

May 27, 2017, 2:05 PM

Knowing what I know about that Death March, I am still enraged that Obama chose to apologize to the Japanese. We owe Japan NO APOLOGY. Obama showed what an absolute traitor to our country and to the men who fought in WWII that he is. I will never bring myself to respect that president.

As for the 100 yo guy - that is absolutely amazing. I hope I live that long, and I hope he outlives me. Kudos to him.

May 27, 2017, 2:56 PM

I remember one vet say we shouldn't apologize for the two bombs we dropped, in fact we should have dropped ten more. Did they apologize for the death march? Nanking, or the Philippines? What was our former president thinking?

May 27, 2017, 8:43 PM

https://www.army.mil/article/184678/bataan_death_march_survivor_honors_brothers_in_arms

https://www.army.mil/article/165680/american_survivor

May 27, 2017, 11:31 PM

Wow, 98 years old. He looks the age but there is a look in his eyes that say he is still sharp with no sign of running down.

You're "enraged"?

May 28, 2017, 12:56 AM [ in reply to Re: 60 Minutes tomorrow night...may be old news ]

Obama did NOT apologize so you can move on with your life now. Check it out, it isn't hard.

I stand corrected, he did not apologize.***

May 28, 2017, 12:25 AM

May 28, 2017, 11:01 AM

Thanks for posting - will definitely watch this tonight. Manny Lawton was another Clemson Alum (class of '40) that survived the Bataan death march and POW experience. Manny Lawton died in 1986 but thankfully his story was recorded for future generations to read in his book "Some Survived".

https://www.amazon.com/Some-Survived-Eyewitness-Account-Through/dp/1565124340

These Clemson Gentlemen are/were a special breed of men and the world is a better place because of them. These men truly know/knew the meaning of sacrifice, perseverance, and what it means to suffer. Their experiences and lives shine a light on just how trivial and insignificant our modern day whining over many social and political issues has become as opposed to real hardship.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is representing wearing his Clemson jacket.*****

May 28, 2017, 7:08 PM

RIP Otis and Henry. What an amazing story.

May 28, 2017, 7:26 PM

Ben's Brigade is great. Thanks for the heads up.

Wow.

May 28, 2017, 8:26 PM

I had him for Public Speaking in the mid 70s. Of course, none of us knew this story, and I guess he didn't talk of it for another 20+ years. I wish I had been able to talk with him. Inspirational and even more reason to be a proud Clemson man.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic