Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Batting average.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Batting average.

May 26, 2017, 8:28 PM

CBO estimates on Obamacare enrollments by year.
2013 26 million
2014 24 million
2015 24 million
2016 15 million

Actual total enrollment since the bill was signed into law: 11.4 million total up to Dec 31, 2016 and starting Jan 1, 2018 6.4 million more. A grand total of 17.8 million total to this date.

If those numbers are lies I'll apologize for being mistaken and promise not to post links to fake news again.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/21/news/economy/obamacare-enrollment-record/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is the CBO's record on their other estimates?

May 26, 2017, 8:33 PM

Yeah they totally missed on ACA but they surely get some stuff right, right?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I brought one example of their batting average.

May 26, 2017, 8:39 PM

It's the one all the dems are pitching fits over. Perhaps if you're interested enough you might want to investigate their other numbers like, 'You can keep your doctor if you like your doctor. If you like your insurance company you can keep it. Insurance premiums will decrease over the years.'

Wanna go next?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From Wikipedia. Sorry, I'm lazy.

May 26, 2017, 9:15 PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Budget_Office

Whereas politicians on both sides of the aisle have criticized the CBO when its estimates have been politically inconvenient,[11][5] economists and other academics overwhelmingly reject that the CBO is partisan or that it fails to produce credible forecasts.

A March 2017 survey of leading economists shows a consensus behind the notion that "adjusting for legal restrictions on what the CBO can assume about future legislation and events, the CBO has historically issued credible forecasts of the effects of both Democratic and Republican legislative proposals."[2] According to MIT economist David Autor, the "CBO has a good track record with a very difficult assignment. It errs, but not systematically or with partisan intent."[2] According to Yale economist Christopher Udry, "There is no credible evidence of partisan bias."[2] Economist Walter E. Williams wrote in 1998 that the CBO was well-regarded for its "honest numbers" on fiscal and economic matters.[4] According to the Los Angeles Times, "the CBO’s analyses and forecasting are regarded as good or better than others doing similar work... economists say that the CBO’s economic projections generally compare favorably against other outfits, and its long-term budget estimates have been fairly accurate."[11]

According to George Washington University political scientist Sarah Binder, the CBO "has emerged over its history as a neutral analyst of congressional budgets and cost estimates for proposed legislation."[5] The agency has "a nonpartisan staff culture".[5]

Historically, the House Budget Committee and Senate Budget Committee have insulated the CBO from external pressures and attempts to politicize or weaken the office.[4] Professor Philip Joyce of the University of Maryland School of Public Policy writes:

Thanks and I'm sorry I didn't address any perceived bias.***

May 26, 2017, 10:39 PM

BTW, they only missed it by 75,000,000 enrollees.

May 26, 2017, 8:45 PM

About a third of the country. Not bad atall.

No, I don't think it's cumulative year after year.

May 26, 2017, 9:27 PM

I think it's just how many would be enrolled each year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Then the average error over the years might be significant.

May 26, 2017, 10:44 PM

Let me apologize for my ignorance concerning the cumulation over the years. I'll do the math and try to get manage the calculations for the average error or something more useful.

Question about the total enrollment of each year. The number dropped from mid twenties millions to 15 million the last year. Was the CBO then predicting an exit from the program in 2016?

I don't know.***

May 27, 2017, 8:29 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

That's part of an argument. Sure.

May 26, 2017, 8:52 PM

http://www.factcheck.org/2017/03/cbos-obamacare-predictions-how-accurate/

It’s true (as Trump administration officials have repeatedly pointed out) that CBO greatly overestimated the number who would get government-subsidized coverage through the new insurance exchanges. But at the same time, CBO underestimated the number who would get coverage through expanding Medicaid.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Batting average.

May 27, 2017, 5:43 PM

The CBO Estimates included state's requirement to expand Medicaid. The Supreme Court held that single provision as unconstitutional. Only 32 states expanded as opposed to the estimated 50.

It wasn't the CBO's fault and it wasn't Obama's fault...

May 27, 2017, 8:28 PM

those pesky SCOTUS Justices ruined the estimate and the insurance bill.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic