Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wanna Talk some Clemson Football? Old rivalry days
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Wanna Talk some Clemson Football? Old rivalry days

May 25, 2017, 11:33 PM

A little log, but if you are an older fan you'll especially appreciate the contrast. Newer fans can appreciate as well, but a little history never hurt anyone.

So, after enduring the ignorant comments of the sophomore QB in Columbia and enjoying all the Tiger Nation's input, it's settled, the guy is just in denial. He thinks that we're still back at old
" rivalry days " with them, when they might have had a team that " had a chance". However, Spurrier and his cast are all gone, and has been for a long time. SC didn't hire a winning coach, nor did they employ a winning QB. Bentley is still just a kid, so I give him a slight pass on the criticism of his intelligence as a person. However his comments were " trained " comments by a coach that is still ticked off at every aspect of how his team played ( or didn't play ) against the Tigers last year.
That's fine and all, but the rivalry days are gone pal, and that's your team and you're responsibility Muschamp.

SC isn't even in the same stratosphere with Clemson anymore. We've so far surpassed them on every level, that's why Clemson is an elite program and SC can't even win in the weakest ( sub ) division in a Power 5 conference. From our HC, to coordinators, to players and personnel, we are superior. Not saying that arrogantly, but it is what it is. Hey, I lived through the days when Clemson was in the
" hard years " attending games and the stands not even half full. So, I can see the contrast. so can the rest of the nation. Unfortunately, SC as a FB program is not heading into a winning situation. That's starts at the helm at QB on the team, and also at the helm of the coaching staff.

If, and I mean If, SC can become competitive one day again against a team like Clemson, it might hold it's own conference then. Only problem is, Clemson was the one that beat your best in your conference, out of our conference. What does that say about the SC program? Wen you've beaten somebody, then you can talk. Until then, it's not a matter of being " outworked " or even " outplayed ", it's about so much more. Coaching, recruiting, the goals of your program and standards, and admitting that you need to get better. I didn't hear that at all from the young QB in his post, all I heard was denial. With that, you'll never contend on Clemson's level. Just like Swinney admitted about Alabama " to be the best you've got to beat the best " in 2016 right before the NCG. Showing respect not only for his home state, his alma matter, but also to a program that has been the standard of college FB. In staring that standard right in the face, Swinney came out on top this time.
The Tiger Team came out on top this time, the program came out on top leaving that Paw flying high on the mountain.

It all starts with coaching, and Muschamp is not off to a good start with giving his team things to say, when clearly they are from a coach that doesn't have his program, recruiting, or team together. I'm trying to be a little easy on the guy, but it's hard to. There's nothing to respect about your FB program, and there is certainly no challenge for the Clemson Tigers.
Until Muschamp faces the fact that he needs a lot better supporting staff, a program change, and a reason for recruits to come to SC that are as talented as Clemson has, the rivalry days are gone.

Either way, it's a good time to be a Clemson Tiger Football Fan.

My take

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wanna Talk some Clemson Football? Old rivalry days

May 26, 2017, 7:30 AM

I love our rivalry now.......and I go back to the '60s

The 5 year run might be the best thing ever for Clemson

May 26, 2017, 9:00 AM

First and foremost, their run was due to 2.5 recruiting classes 08 (many didn't qualify and came back in 09), 10 (Lattimore) and 11 (Clowney). They used the coaching change at Clemson to get some instate big guys and owned the trenches. So they didn't have some huge "fundamental" advantage. It was just random circumstances and the best SC talent was in areas that they typically held. They haven't signed a 5 star since 2011. We've redshirted more 5 star talent than they've had. We have stockpiled more 5 stars at the same position (QB, DL and LB) than they have ever signed.

It forced our administration and coaches to go away from the Bowden mentality. We were a sportscar trying to drive through mud. Now we have dominant DL and working on a dominant OL.

It also forced us to focus on spending money on assistant coaches and facilities. They had great assistants who were either end of the career and cashing in or looking to make a splash and move on. Ellis Johnson was then what Venables is now. Difference is, Venables is young and we are paying him like a head coach. In terms of facilities, SC was always the team that wanted to have it first but not necessarily the best. They had an indoor facility long before we did. But it was a crappy facility nicknamed the bubble. We built ours top notch. Then we built the football complex and they are going to halfa$$ mimic that.

So in some ways a good SC team is good for us. It helped us stay ahead of pace in the 80s, it helped us get ahead of pace in the 2010s.

Re: The 5 year run might be the best thing ever for Clemson

May 26, 2017, 3:24 PM

IPTAY FAMILY, you are a correct in your history. Good post. I agree, in some ways a " healthy rivalry"
with SC is good for us in some ways, and their programs shifts have been good for Clemson FB over the years. As of right now, and for the foreseeable future though, there is no rivalry from a talent standpoint. All across the board. SC's most equal rival maybe SC state right now, or some lower SEC school with a mediocre FB program at best. Clemson has just shown that the competition in the rivalry is gone. I have always enjoyed over the years ( still do ) the " rivalry " game, but now it's just a beat down until they have a serious program change from top to bottom.

Re: The 5 year run might be the best thing ever for Clemson

May 26, 2017, 9:05 PM [ in reply to The 5 year run might be the best thing ever for Clemson ]

So right! We need to stay ahead and never look back.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic