Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NY Giant Fans: Wayne Gallman is pulling into the station
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 2,087

NY Giant Fans: Wayne Gallman is pulling into the station

Apr 30, 2017, 12:34 AM

Many who read this will be Clemson fans, but some will read that are Giants fans too. Since being selected by the Giants, Wayne Gallman has been "trending" on search, so I'm sure there are Giant fans that would like to know some quick facts on Wayne Gallman, this is for you. More than just an NFL combine stats perspective. I'm not a scout, not privy to insider information, or a writer by trade. Just a fan, as many on this forum know.

Wayne Gallman, nicknamed " The Wayne Train " was selected by the NY Giants in 2017 NFL draft, 140th overall in this year's class. The only RB drafted by the Gaints organization this year. As a Tiger Fan, I am happy for Gallman. However, I am going to take off my orange tinted glasses for a bit and write as an objective fan of the game of football at the collegian and pro level.

As you may know, Manning has had some trouble finding a reliable back to hand the ball off too. I've watched Giants games that when the protection breaks down, Eli has been prone to some interceptions, which in return leaves hungry WR's frustrated. Sound Familiar? No slight on the super bowl winning QB, I've always liked him and respected his game. Beckham and Manning are a sight to watch from when the ball leaves Manning's hands to Beckhams' acrobatic catches. However, as I noted before, I have seen that pocket collapse a lot and not because the Giants don't have a pretty good O-Line. It's because they have lacked a RB who can block, yes, block. Every QB and NFL coach likes a RB that can block and is willing to put himself in that position to buy a little more time for his QB.

There is a little chatter about whether or not Gallman can block, or maybe that he needs to work on this part of his game. Let me tell you as fan of the Clemson Tigers, we have a stable full of really good sized fast running backs. However, the question around the fan club is " which RB can block like Gallman did?" See, he ( Gallman ) bought a little more time for Watson to throw in the pocket by his blocking and kept him from getting sacked nearly as much as he could have if Gallman wasn't blocking for him. Gallman picks up on blitzes. Sure Watson is now the first round pick of the Texans' because of his talents amongst a host of other accolades. I will say again though, it was Gallman who did alot of the " dirty work " that rarely got noticed. So, as far as blocking for Eli - I wouldn't be concerned at all.

What about his size? He doesn't have that Fournette body type. While that is true, you are not going to find a more durable back in this class. Do giants fans want consistency with hard running? You get that with Gallman. Give him a year in the Giants strength and conditioning program, and he will be even bigger and better.

What chacteristics make him an impact player? Durability, Runs " Angry ", tough, runs through intial contact, blocks well, and can catch the ball too. What will he need to work on? His vision down field, and I say that as a Clemson fan and a Wayne Gallman fan. However, if you study the pro game, many backs that have been selected in later rounds have learned this skill and have went on to be instrumental in their team winning many games and even winning a super bowl. Example: Terrell Davis. Smaller than Gallman, but had the durability and toughness that made him a super bowl champion. Am I saying Gallman is the next TD, no, but it just goes to the point of a great RB being selected in the draft in the late rounds that turned out to be outstanding.

Just for the sake of numbers being an equalizer and this not being just an opinion from a Clemson fan, I will provide some stats. 1,527 is the number of rushing yards Gallman had in 2015, earning first team All-ACC after setting the school record. This past year he didn't have the year he did in 2015, but still ended it with a 1,000+ yd. season before entering the draft. You may ask " why the drop off?" Well, Clemson has 5 star talent " waiting in the wings" and these guys needed playing to get ready to compete for the next 1,000 yd back on the Clemson roster. So Gallman shared the load, with no complaining and no character issues that comes with some RB's in today's draft.
Without getting into all the disciussion there, it's safe to say that Gallman earned the respect of the coaching staff at CU, his peers, and mine as well as many other Tiger Nation fans.

For the NY Giants, the position of RB being filled with a roatiation with " The Wayne Train" in it, just got better. I've seen this young man play with cutson his hands and arms, ready to be fed the ball again. I've seen him take massive hits from first round defensive talent that are now on NFL rosters, just to get back up again ready for his team. The NY Giants not only got a team player, and a steal in the 4th round but also reliability. His resume, numbers and film speak for itself. Honestly, I haven't seen a more productive back yet at Clemson since CJ Spiller, and that's by the numbers, not an opinion.

Last, the nickname " The Wayne Train " got put on Gallman because of his power running, explosiveness, his consistency, and ability to run through the tackles. Sure he runs a little
" high " because of his frame and style. There is a big plus to that if you study RB's with similar running styles. Running high ( knees high ) means full power extended to the run already in motion. Gallman is known for keepng his legs going forward, even while being tackled. He runs with "expectation and toughness" similar to a RB Gallman has been said to pattern his game after, Adrian Peterson.

So, Giants fans you picked up a great RB in this year's draft. I'm going to miss him playing for CU, but it will be a delight seeing him on Sunday's run into the end zone. That's what the Giants organization has now, The Wayne Train. He's hard to stop once he get's his feet planted, I wouldn't want to be a LB, S or CB trying to run him down. As far as the " hand off and run ", alot of that will depend on O-Line creating creases. That goes for any RB, but the good one's run with power once it opens up. You'll see him more in the end zone with some patience, because you're getting a team player, a son of a marine, one tough guy that is going to be alot more productive than many projected. Why? He takes a beating and keeps getting up. He's a fighter and a winner. He will be an asset to Manning and the rest of the Giants roster. However, don't take a Clemson fan's word for it. Watch his film. He will also be a fit schematically to what has been shown the type of offense the Giants like to run.

Turn on the film against some of the defensive first rounder's that are in the league today or selected this weekend. You will see what Gallman brings to the table. Tougness, Consistency & Production.

Best of Luck to Gallman, I'll be watching you " pound it out " for the Giants. Can't wait.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NY Giant Fans: Wayne Gallman is pulling into the station

Apr 30, 2017, 12:39 AM

One other stat....Gallman was 4th of all FBS backs in pass blocking in 2016.

Apr 30, 2017, 12:41 AM

https://www.profootballfocus.com/wayne-gallman-is-unsung-hero-of-clemsons-offense/

Apr 30, 2017, 5:47 AM

1 glaring stat that I had posted before that doesn't get mentioned. Out of the rb in this years draft Wayne rated the highest for fumble to carry ratio only behind Stanford mccafery.

In contrast fournett and cook were rated below average and red flag respectively.

Last time I checked, ball security in the NFL was critical. Giants fans, you got a steal. Wouldn't surprise me one bit in 4 years from now that Wayne Train is the only back drafted this year that plays.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2017, 7:26 AM

Sorry I'm a Cowboy fan,but as a life long Cowboy fan,but I am getting more and more ticked off at Dallas for nor selecting at least one Tiger.
That aside,if there is my one new team I can now puff for,it's Houston.

Biggest knock on Wayne is that he just doesn't provide

Apr 30, 2017, 7:42 AM

explosive plays. He's tough, durable, efficient, and an extremely hard runner, but you aren't going to get many 15+ yard carries out of him.

If you are going to be long winded,

Apr 30, 2017, 8:35 AM

back it with facts! Good read

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Replies: 6
| visibility 2,087
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic