Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCAA gives NC 48 hrs to recall HB2 or loose through 2022
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

NCAA gives NC 48 hrs to recall HB2 or loose through 2022

Mar 29, 2017, 5:49 PM

NCAA Puts North Carolina On the Clock to Change HB2
Time is running out for North Carolina to change HB2.
Hayley Jones
03.28.17 2:11 PM ET

The NCAA has put a clock on North Carolina.

The state now has 48 hours to amend House Bill 2, HB2, or they will lose NCAA events through 2022.

In a statement obtained by CBS WNCN, the executive director of the Greater Raleigh Sports alliance, Scott Dupree, said NCAA officials had informed him of the tight 48-hour deadline.

“I have confirmed with a contact very close to the NCAA that its deadline for HB2 is 48 hours from now. If HB2 has not been resolved by that time, the NCAA will have no choice but to move forward without the North Carolina bids. The NCAA has already delayed the bid review process once and has waited as long as it possibly can, and now it must finalize all championship site selections through spring of 2022.”

Visit Raleigh’s president and CEO Dennis Edwards and Dupree also released a joint statement saying, “We are encouraged by the bipartisan efforts underway in the state legislature to find a solution.” However, they will not support “any one bill.” They go on to say, “…we simply seek a swift compromise that will allow us to begin to repair the reputation of our region and state…”

So far, eight NCAA championship tournaments have been removed from North Carolina because of HB2. If the state does not change the bill, this could be a very costly mistake.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/03/28/ncaa-puts-north-carolina-on-the-clock-to-change-hb2.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They've Lost 2,900 jobs and $4 Billion Dollars.

Mar 29, 2017, 6:03 PM

All so that people can discriminate against people that aren't like them.

Dumb.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They've Lost 2,900 jobs and $4 Billion Dollars.

Mar 29, 2017, 6:14 PM

People are actually willing to take jobs from other people because they want men to be able to use the women's restroom.

Mar 29, 2017, 6:45 PM

to this day I still can not believe that part of the bill is what grabs the headline. The transgender side of it is little more than a shiny object to distract from the fact that the legislation allows employers to terminate and employee for any discriminatory reason. It would allow YOUR employer to fire you because he does not like you political affiliation, beliefs, college team, or really anything. Ironically the intent was to attract employers to the state because it also prevents employees from using the state court system to fight a discrimination case. It also prevent local government from creating new laws that appose the state laws with regard to worker rights. It is an insidious piece of legislation when you look beyond the "bathroom bill" label.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

South Carolina is an at will state. You can be fired here

Mar 29, 2017, 7:30 PM

for any of the reasons you listed. Sports teams and political affiliations are not protected classes and not subject to anti discrimination laws.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You should be able to fire anyone at anytime. Crap, you

Mar 29, 2017, 8:06 PM

still have to pay unemployment for them don't you. So, if you are going to do that, if should be your choice.

The NCAA should stay the heck out of politics.***

Mar 29, 2017, 8:07 PM

agree...but

Mar 29, 2017, 8:15 PM

he NCAA has a lot of corporate partners, and corporations are people my friend.

I couldn't disagree more. Why should they stay out of..

Mar 30, 2017, 12:32 AM [ in reply to The NCAA should stay the heck out of politics.*** ]

issues? I don't care about this issue either way, but what if it were something more serious? They should be involved at times. This is an odd issue though and I don't even know both sides of the issue.

Re: South Carolina is an at will state. You can be fired here

Mar 29, 2017, 8:13 PM [ in reply to South Carolina is an at will state. You can be fired here ]

So if get let go because clemson won the national title and your coot boss gets butt hurt, do you not have a legal claim is the State of SC assuming there are no performance related issues? serious questions because I do not know the answer.

Yes. I'm sure you can get an attorney to sue him but in

Mar 29, 2017, 8:21 PM

it's unlikely you would win. The employer doesn't have to give any reason for termination.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes. I'm sure you can get an attorney to sue him but in

Mar 29, 2017, 8:42 PM

is it law in SC that you can not have this heard by the state courts, because this is what NC HB2 blocks.

Employers are under no obligation to tell you why you were

Mar 29, 2017, 9:21 PM

terminated in a right to work state

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting Orwellian nomenclature... "Right to work"... BS.***

Mar 29, 2017, 10:32 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why should I not be able to fire whomever I wish?

Mar 30, 2017, 12:22 AM

Its my money, my company, my livelihood. Why should anybody have a say in who I hire and fire?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nope***

Mar 29, 2017, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Re: South Carolina is an at will state. You can be fired here ]

It certainly sounded like he was describing a right to work

Mar 29, 2017, 9:18 PM [ in reply to South Carolina is an at will state. You can be fired here ]

State

mostly not true

Mar 29, 2017, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Re: They've Lost 2,900 jobs and $4 Billion Dollars. ]

Baltimore Tiger pretty much covered it above, but I want to reiterate that the HB2 law had nothing to do with being able to fire people for the specific reasons you listed. It was already allowed. And it does not allow employers to terminate an employee for any discriminatory reason. It's not allowed to discriminate against people in protected classes, and the protected classes in NC are even more broad than federal law or SC law, and even include sexual orientation and gender identity for state employees (but not for private employees).
The law prevents cities and counties from making their own discrimination laws, so that the laws are the same statewide. Really was trying to prevent Charlotte from doing what it tried to do, which was forcing ALL businesses to allow transgenders to use bathrooms and locker rooms of their choice. The bathroom part of the bill only applies to schools and state facilities (another thing nobody seems to know), and returns the freedom to private businesses in Charlotte to make their own bathroom policy.

Most people ignore the fact it was a reaction to the

Mar 29, 2017, 9:30 PM

Charlotte ordinance. Conveniently, too I observe.

It has not cost them 4 Billion dollars, that is the

Mar 29, 2017, 6:35 PM [ in reply to They've Lost 2,900 jobs and $4 Billion Dollars. ]

projected loss over a 12 year period

Hotels and such are still full in NC. Economy is

Mar 29, 2017, 7:38 PM

Doing just fine I believe. Just because ncaa and acc doesn't show, other conferences are.

yeah not wanting a man using the womesn room

Mar 29, 2017, 8:01 PM [ in reply to They've Lost 2,900 jobs and $4 Billion Dollars. ]

is discriminating.

Re: yeah not wanting a man using the womesn room

Mar 29, 2017, 8:14 PM

The bathroom part of the law is a minor piece of the overall law.

Then, why is that all we hear about?***

Mar 29, 2017, 9:23 AM

Gender has nothing to do with biology

Mar 29, 2017, 8:58 PM [ in reply to yeah not wanting a man using the womesn room ]

so I'm told

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2017, 8:05 AM [ in reply to They've Lost 2,900 jobs and $4 Billion Dollars. ]

Nothing to do with discrimination. Simply saying go to the toilet you are plumbed with. How does that discriminate?

Why is the NCAA even getting involved in stuff like this???***

Mar 29, 2017, 6:30 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is the NCAA even getting involved in stuff like this???***

Mar 29, 2017, 6:34 PM

Because discrimination is wrong

It doesn't seem to bother the NCAA in it's home state of

Mar 29, 2017, 6:37 PM

Indiana

Re: It doesn't seem to bother the NCAA in it's home state of

Mar 29, 2017, 6:46 PM

good point

morality is subjective***

Mar 29, 2017, 9:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is the NCAA even getting involved in stuff like this???*** ]

The same reason they got involved with the confederate flag***

Mar 29, 2017, 6:37 PM [ in reply to Why is the NCAA even getting involved in stuff like this???*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Only in OUR state, but not in Georgia or Mississippi***

Mar 29, 2017, 6:38 PM

An NCAA with political power is a frightening thought.

Mar 29, 2017, 6:31 PM

Whether one thinks hb2 is a good thing or a bad thing, one should hope NC completely ignores this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: An NCAA with political power is a frightening thought.

Mar 29, 2017, 6:37 PM

Don't be so dramatic. Any person or organization that is capable of significantly impacting the economy has political power. It's only scary insofar as our whole system is scary.

Dramatic, that's me. But here's dramatic: voluntarily

Mar 29, 2017, 6:58 PM

giving power to someone because they make threats. Seems we fought a war over that once. Maybe you heard about it. Might be the reason we can have this conversation. And now we say, "Oh well, yeah, take the money, cause that's how the world works."

How's that for drama?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dramatic, that's me. But here's dramatic: voluntarily

Mar 29, 2017, 7:40 PM

No, we've never fought wars over something like this. Lol. Now, pretty much every war in history was about power and threats, not not like this. I'm assuming you were referencing the civil war? Slavery was a little different issue than bathroom access. And I don't think it involved basketball.

LOL!!!! No, I was thinking 100 years earlier. If you want

Mar 29, 2017, 8:52 PM

to give up your autonomy to people with money, you're on your own.

This should get good over the course of the night***

Mar 29, 2017, 6:52 PM

If it cost the state nothing, it would be much

Mar 29, 2017, 7:35 PM

of a stand. Any important stand requires sacrificing something important. The state has to decide whether this sacrifice is worth the stand.

*would not be***

Mar 29, 2017, 7:36 PM

As an actual resident of NC

Mar 29, 2017, 7:51 PM

Who actually cares about this issue, I hope NC will stand it's ground, if only soma not to give into the demands of an incompetent and corrupt organization such as the NCAA. The entire bill news work for other reasons, but I'm a big fan of dudes not going into the same rest room as my female family memebers, and vice versa. Luckily that will not be am issue to any great extent around Camp Lejeune, but elsewhere? No bueno.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As an actual resident of NC

Mar 29, 2017, 8:02 PM

Look at the bill, it really has very little to do with bathroom preference.

Mar 29, 2017, 8:11 PM

One of the major problems that I have with the bill process. They often take a reasonable well prepared bit of legislation, and then slip in a bunch of BS.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2017, 8:12 PM [ in reply to As an actual resident of NC ]

I don't care about your feelings toward trans people, but let's be honest about the bill and why the NCAA is so violently opposed.

The bill does NOT keep all trans people out of the bathrooms of the sex opposite the one they were born with. If a person undergoes sex reassignment surgery, they can then have their birth certificate changed and use the correlating bathroom.

What the bill does do is explicitly legalize discrimination against LGBT people. It makes it illegal for a local government to set a minimum wage. It prevents local governments from regulating child labor. It even prevents cities for passing regulations relating to their own municipal employees.

It is one of the grossest usurpations of power by a state government over its political subdivisions in the last couple of decades anywhere in the US. It's a disaster of a law and trans people were simply used as the boogeymen to sell it to the public. Without the trans part of the law, the public would have never bent over and accepted the rest.

Hyperbole much?***

Mar 29, 2017, 9:33 PM

Re: Hyperbole much?***

Mar 29, 2017, 9:59 PM

Not at all. My post was pretty conservative.

Mar 30, 2017, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Re: As an actual resident of NC ]

amen, CU17.

If UNC wins the touney, it would be funny if the state

Mar 29, 2017, 8:57 PM

put up signs at the state line that read, "North Carolina. ..champions of the NCAA."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NCAA gives NC 48 hrs to recall HB2 or loose through 2022

Mar 29, 2017, 9:27 PM

i'm from North Carolina- the NCAA is WAY OUT OF THEIR JURISDICTION! I'm GLAD we have stuck to our guns regardless of some liberal pressure to bow down to a bunch of people trying to change the way GOD created them and turning men into women and vice versa. Come on people- where's the common sense and backbone of America

Mar 29, 2017, 9:35 PM

Maybe the NC state legislators should tell the NCAA to resolve the UNC scandal and then we will work on the HB2 bill. The rate the NCAA is proceeding it will be 2022 or longer before it is resolved.

Teams from outside North Carolina are allowed to play the North Carolina schools in North Carolina. What's the difference?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2017, 2:14 AM

NCAA Blackmail. Think of the fans and the cost they incur to travel further to events just so you can be politically correct for about 2 to 5 percent of our population. If you look throughly enough you coined find a reason to ban ever state from your precious NCAA events.

Maybe we need a change in NCAA and ACC leadership. To rid those of you mooching off of those of us that buy tickets and clothing etc.. from the schools we pull for. Sales the NCAA gets a cut of. See of that minority of 5% can pay for big fat salaries. Truth is you need the majority to keep the NCAA in business. You had better start thinking about them. I have heard that a lot of people are getting tired of this political correctness crap!

You let North Carolina University cheat for years and do nothing about it, but you want to punish the state and the fans over bathrooms!

Where are your priorities and I wonder how many $500 handshakes the NCAA infractions committee has received???

Saw what I thought was a man in the women's restroom in Cola

Mar 30, 2017, 8:04 AM

airport. Yes, I'm female. While it was weird what am I supposed to do about it? Ask to see his/her birth certificate? Guess I could push it and if I am wrong seriously embarrass the person and myself and risk some type of civil case.

Regardless of your position on this issue, the reality is that you can't enforce it. And that being the case and the fact that I really miss the ACC Football Championship being in Charlotte makes me really hope they can resolve this.

BTW, That is just one of the downfalls of the Cola airport. They are being sponsored by USuCk and there are chicken droppings everywhere.

Re: Saw what I thought was a man in the women's restroom in Cola

Mar 30, 2017, 8:30 AM

You hit the main nail on the head.
Regardless of the morality stuff (I'm not weighing in on that mess)

It's unenforceable! End of story

Why support an UNENFORCEABLE law that's costing you money? (Sorry the capitalist in me doesn't understand)

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic