Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Feaster, Choice or Fuller to be Downhill Back in 2017?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1,753

Feaster, Choice or Fuller to be Downhill Back in 2017?

Mar 29, 2017, 2:19 AM

I've written on Feaster before. He should be ready, He's wearing the a great Spiller's # and should have picked up on pass protection under a year with Gallman. Spiller racked up over a 1000yds his Sophomore season. So, it is fair to compare him to Spiller, that's what we all heard.
Choice is looking really strong now, coming back from injuries, Recently Swinney said that He is " looking like the RB we knew He could be". IMO, Really this year - It could be a combination of Feaster, Choice & Fuller. Fuller carries the ball hard too. The RB position is going to be full of talent and provide healthy competition to man who wants to be the next 1,000 yd back at Clemson in 2017.

While Choice brings a lot of talent to the position, which we've seen glimpses of. We haven't seen him back, fully healthy on the field. Can't wait to see Him compete as well.

Feaster is the young man many Clemson fans would like to see the next level of potential/production from Him. He's got it in him, we've seen glimpses. Just can't wait to see him as a featured back, He's going to score some TD's this year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Feaster, Choice or Fuller to be Downhill Back in 2017?

Mar 29, 2017, 6:53 AM

It basically boils down to two things: Tony Elliot's playcalling & the offensive linemen's ability to open holes.

Looking at Wayne's drop in numbers from the 2015 to 2016 was not on him. He gave 110% every snap. I hope whatever the issue(s) is/are get ironed out by September. Our QB situation will rely more on the running game having success than we've been used to in recent years under DW4.

Mar 29, 2017, 7:06 AM

Wayne's drop in numbers.

2015. 282 carries 1514 yards 13 TDs 5.4 average
2016. 232 carries 1133 yards 17 TDs 4.9 average

It's only a drop because they didn't use him as much.

Choice, Fuller and Feaster are solid if not outstanding. All three can catch the ball out of the backfield and returning 4 starters on the OL, plus numerous returnees who logged a lot of snaps bodes well for the running game. I don't see a LOT of drop off in total production from the running backs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

.5 ypc is a pretty significant drop***

Mar 29, 2017, 7:34 AM

Re: .5 ypc is a pretty significant drop***

Mar 29, 2017, 7:58 AM

Lol 5.4 to 4.9 is a significant drop? Come on.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm pretty serious. It wasn't a massive drop, but going from

Mar 29, 2017, 8:24 AM

5.4 to 4.9 ypc is pretty significant.

Our offensive stuff went from 16.3% (19th in the country) to 18% (53rd). That's an OL issue. Definition of stuff rate from Football Study Hall:

"This is the percentage of runs where the runner is tackled at or behind the line of scrimmage. Since being stuffed is bad, offenses are ranked from stuffed least often (No. 1) to most often (No. 125); for defenses, the opposite is true."

Our power success rate (3rd/4th down and 2 or less yards to go) dropped from 6th in the country to 94th! We went from being one of the best short yardage rushing teams in the country in 2015 to one of the worst in 2016. That's clearly an OL issue.

Our rushing explosiveness also dropped from 79th to 126th in the country last year. We were literally one of the worst teams in the entire country at generating long rushing plays. That's not necessarily an OL issue, but it is something we need to improve on drastically next year since our passing game is due to take a step back.

Mar 29, 2017, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Feaster, Choice or Fuller to be Downhill Back in 2017? ]

When you factor in Deshaun's rushing numbers in 2015 vs 2016, there was certainly more to it than you're making it seem. It wasn't just less touches. It was both a drop in run blocking and a change in playcalling.

Mar 29, 2017, 11:59 AM

You are close: The drop in numbers (plays called and average gained on plays called) was mainly due to the way teams stacked the box more on us last year. I am sure we took some lumps breaking in more freshman O-Linemen in the process. Including; the Fruh fiasco, but we don't face as much on the replacement along the line this year. We have tons of experience in the trenches, with stud linemen, and depth to boot.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2017, 12:48 PM

Agreed. However, I would add that the run playbook needs to go beyond HB dive, A gap / B gap. Our 3rd & shorts were all-too-predictable in many games last season. If they're stacking the box, it's obvious that running up the middle isn't going to work (one would think). And as much as everyone loves and misses the Chad Morris era jet sweep, teams can see that coming from a mile away. Hopefully this year, with the likes of Milan Richard and Cain / Powell outside, we will have better block-downs, opening up the edge for our stable of backs.

Mar 29, 2017, 7:02 AM

I was impressed with C J Fuller last year. His wheel routes are deadly and he has great hands. I didn't really see him having problems running and carrying tacklers a few yards after contact. As great as Feaster can (and should) be, I think Fuller starts until Feaster lights it up a few times. We seem to have a good problem at RB this year.

Add Kelly Bryant to the run attack IMO. He's about as good at running as anyone can ask of a QB. If he's QB, then I expect 60/40 RUN/PASS plays.

Mar 29, 2017, 7:20 AM

I do really think that it will be Fuller doing the mule work. He showed several times last year that he has it......most notably the one more step to a TD return in the NCG. Not going to be automatic, we will see.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Mar 29, 2017, 7:53 AM

Any and everything that Feaster could do in 2017 will be completely irrelevant if he cannot learn how to get the blocking scheme and technique down. Its such an intricate part of our offensive philosophy and playbook that he wont even sniff the field if he cannot do it. He has way too much potential to not be a well rounded back. Hopefully its start to stick with him or he will find himself behind Fuller...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Fuller and Feaster, the new Thunder and Lightning!!!***

Mar 29, 2017, 8:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Choice***

Mar 29, 2017, 9:12 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2017, 9:17 AM

Spiller actually only had one season (senior year) where he had over 1000 yds rushing. Yes he made up in other areas like receiving and special teams but people are quick to forget the struggles he had his second year because he tries to bounce everything outside. I remember a lot of people on this board being frustrated with him because of that.

Feaster, rhymes with Priester.

Mar 29, 2017, 1:50 PM

I can still hear Jim Phillips, "Priesterrrrrr, Touchdown!"

:)

Message was edited by: 76er®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1,753
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic