Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BSB Update: Clemson Baseball moves into Top 5 rankings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,817

BSB Update: Clemson Baseball moves into Top 5 rankings

Mar 27, 2017, 9:20 AM

Clemson Baseball moves into Top 5 rankings

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

9 players on the field and he turns it around in less than 2

Mar 27, 2017, 9:28 AM

years.

Imagine what a coach who only puts 5 on the floor at once could do in a similar time frame.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 9 players on the field and he turns it around in less than 2

Mar 27, 2017, 9:35 AM

Beer has to stay 3 years, there is no such rule for basketball. And there has not been a Beer type recruit in BB at Clemson by no means.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like coach Lee, no doubt

Mar 27, 2017, 9:41 AM

But lets also consider it's probably a good bit easier to recruit to Clemson in baseball (with our history and relative facilities, etc) than it is in basketball.

Not exactly comparing apples to apples in a basketball vs baseball discussion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does 7 years versus 1.3 make it a more reasonable comparison***

Mar 27, 2017, 9:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not defending Brownell

Mar 27, 2017, 10:06 AM

I just don't think that the comparison really holds any true value. The fact is Clemson baseball is seen as a premier program, or if not quite premier it is seen as the next tier right behind those with CWS championships. It is far easier to "rebuild" at Clemson and use the tradition and history of the program as the core of moving forward.

For whatever reason we simply lack that foundation in basketball. Pretty much every period of success has been fleeting and has been seen as the result of either a gimmick or getting lucky with one or two players at a time. We desperately need to change that perception by building that foundation if we want to have any extended success.

I don't know how that gets done, but it's important to recognize the vast difference in program status when discussing the seeming ease with which Lee has reinvigorated our baseball program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Barnes and Purnell were good coaches. We just didn't

Mar 27, 2017, 11:13 AM

try hard enough to find good replacements after they got things rolling. There are no inherent insurmountable recruiting disadvantages that Clemson basketball faces. (Look down the street to Columbia and how quickly they turned things around with far less to work with.) It's simply a question of getting the right coach each time, making every effort to keep them if they are good or move on when they aren't.

I have no doubt that the right coach(s) could improve the basketball program in far less than 7 years. Like Barnes, we could probably see a difference in year one and build upon that. Or like Purnell, we could see a difference in year two. It doesn't take 8-10 years to figure out what you have.

The excuses need to stop.

No! Any Clemson fan know the difference of history and

Mar 27, 2017, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Does 7 years versus 1.3 make it a more reasonable comparison*** ]

accomplishments of baseball vs basketball. Apples to oranges but continue on with the agenda.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If my agenda is greater basketball expectations and results,

Mar 27, 2017, 12:21 PM

what is yours?

Re: Does 7 years versus 1.3 make it a more reasonable comparison***

Mar 27, 2017, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Does 7 years versus 1.3 make it a more reasonable comparison*** ]

It's two totally different sports, so I don't think that it is comparable in any way. But I do believe that Brad should have made progress in 7 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 9 players on the field and he turns it around in less than 2

Mar 27, 2017, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Re: 9 players on the field and he turns it around in less than 2 ]

That's where hiring a coach who is great recruiter first comes in. Dabo was well known as a great salesman. Lee was responsible for getting all those good classes for the chickens. Before Brownell was hired, he had a reputation as a poor recruiter. We hired him anyway. It's going to take hiring a coach with outstanding recruiting ability to sell kids to come to Clemson in basketball.

Luckily ,

Mar 27, 2017, 10:39 AM

Basketball season is over and we can concentrate on baseball and the continuation of our football regime!

Re: BSB Update: Clemson Baseball moves into Top 5 rankings

Mar 27, 2017, 11:24 AM

how do the dirty c$$ts stay just behind us when the have lost all those games??no way they should stay in the top 10

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BSB Update: Clemson Baseball moves into Top 5 rankings

Mar 27, 2017, 1:03 PM

They have only lost once since our series and that was this past weekend.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,817
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic